Jason Garrett is all flash and all fizzle

parchy

Reaction score
In the midst of all the positive aftermath of TNew's return, an offensive line that actually got better as the game went on and the return of the 4th quarter Barbarian, I was yet again left completely unimpressed by Red Ball's performance for what seems to be the fifth or sixth time this year.

Couple things I'm noticing...

We continue to run the play clock until the final second every time... which prompts the question, our O-line's been mediocre a lot this year, and in places (Bigg, Colombo, Gurode) where that would've been unthinkable last year... it's a lot easier to be a quick-twitch lineman and time your blitz counts when you know exactly when the QB's getting the ball.

There are so many damn moving parts to our offense, and most of them seem extraneous and unhelpful. Anybody notice how many of those illegal formation penalties we get? In the heat of a tight late-season division game on the road, how is it a good idea to be motioning eight guys all over the place while your QB scrambles to get the snap at the last second from a spotty shotgun snapper? Even if the only point is to run straight interference, it seems to be distracting our own players more than anybody else. And how many times have those plays ended with mediocre results? It seems we have more success just lining up and beating people. We're better than almost every team we play player-by-player. Why do we need all this extra crap?

It's no secret why MBIII's not been producing the same numbers this year... the running plays haven't been suited to his skill set. Why are we running that stupid sweep every play to start games when fresh defenders can run him down? Or not using Choice to compliment his power when we've seen he's a better slasher and has better agility? Why run that misdirection handoff so many times when MBIII's skill set is clearly suited to pound inside holes at full speed? Get him outside, yeah, fine, but what we saw on the last drive was more like it. If only I was confident that that kind of play would continue....

And don't get me started on that stupid end-around that works maybe once a year...

There's just too damn much going on without the results to match. I'd say you need to trim some of this fat and get back down to beating the hell out of people in the trenches and grinding off that in the second half after a dazzling aerial show in the first half to jump up. Garrett's always had this propensity for this array of crap going on at one time, but judging by the penalties and the offensive results it might be time to scale back and let Romo get back to drawing up stuff in the dirt.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
You're complaining about all the outside runs that were VERY successful? I don't think I understand.

parchy

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;2424405 said:
You're complaining about all the outside runs that were VERY successful? I don't think I understand.

No, I'm complaining about when we're using them. How many times have we done what we did tonight?

MBIII was dead last in 4th quarter yardage for starting RBs coming into this game. Think he's going to beat folks outside in the 1st and 2nd? Because he hasn't been.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
parchy;2424421 said:
No, I'm complaining about when we're using them. How many times have we done what we did tonight?

MBIII was dead last in 4th quarter yardage for starting RBs coming into this game

think that us playing poorly most of the yr has something to do with that? maybe a tad? like blowout losses to the Rams and Giants lately?

parchy

Reaction score
dbair1967;2424431 said:
think that us playing poorly most of the yr has something to do with that? maybe a tad? like blowout losses to the Rams and Giants lately?

You can't chalk 60-something total 4th quarter yards in 9 games completely to a few blowout losses.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
parchy;2424421 said:

MBIII was dead last in 4th quarter yardage for starting RBs coming into this game. Think he's going to beat folks outside in the 1st and 2nd? Because he hasn't been.

Yes, because that's exactly what he did.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
parchy;2424446 said:
You can't chalk 60-something total 4th quarter yards in 9 games completely to a few blowout losses.

fall behind= more passing

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
parchy;2424460 said:
Like the last Commanders game? Come on...

and what was the score in the 4th qtr of that game?

what part of throwing more because your behind do you not get?

It's a pretty simple concept...

parchy

Reaction score
dbair1967;2424472 said:
and what was the score in the 4th qtr of that game?

what part of throwing more because your behind do you not get?

It's a pretty simple concept...

We ran the ball 11 times in that entire game, and Felix didn't touch it once. You're honestly going to argue that the passing game was more important all day? How many games did MBIII help us put away in the 4th Q last year? How much ball-control O have we played this year?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Actually, I think most of Barber's more successful runs are ones that are either designed outside or that he bounces outside. Either way he's successful out there, has been his entire career.

That was one thing people complained about with JJ, that he didn't take it outside.

A big problem this year has been Proctor.

I will agree that Garrett has been stubborn in some areas this season (running left, not motioning TO).

CPonder14

Reaction score
parchy;2424391 said:
In the midst of all the positive aftermath of TNew's return, an offensive line that actually got better as the game went on and the return of the 4th quarter Barbarian, I was yet again left completely unimpressed by Red Ball's performance for what seems to be the fifth or sixth time this year.

Couple things I'm noticing...

We continue to run the play clock until the final second every time... which prompts the question, our O-line's been mediocre a lot this year, and in places (Bigg, Colombo, Gurode) where that would've been unthinkable last year... it's a lot easier to be a quick-twitch lineman and time your blitz counts when you know exactly when the QB's getting the ball.

There are so many damn moving parts to our offense, and most of them seem extraneous and unhelpful. Anybody notice how many of those illegal formation penalties we get? In the heat of a tight late-season division game on the road, how is it a good idea to be motioning eight guys all over the place while your QB scrambles to get the snap at the last second from a spotty shotgun snapper? Even if the only point is to run straight interference, it seems to be distracting our own players more than anybody else. And how many times have those plays ended with mediocre results? It seems we have more success just lining up and beating people. We're better than almost every team we play player-by-player. Why do we need all this extra crap?

It's no secret why MBIII's not been producing the same numbers this year... the running plays haven't been suited to his skill set. Why are we running that stupid sweep every play to start games when fresh defenders can run him down? Or not using Choice to compliment his power when we've seen he's a better slasher and has better agility? Why run that misdirection handoff so many times when MBIII's skill set is clearly suited to pound inside holes at full speed? Get him outside, yeah, fine, but what we saw on the last drive was more like it. If only I was confident that that kind of play would continue....

And don't get me started on that stupid end-around that works maybe once a year...

There's just too damn much going on without the results to match. I'd say you need to trim some of this fat and get back down to beating the hell out of people in the trenches and grinding off that in the second half after a dazzling aerial show in the first half to jump up. Garrett's always had this propensity for this array of crap going on at one time, but judging by the penalties and the offensive results it might be time to scale back and let Romo get back to drawing up stuff in the dirt.

only because they were dead tired. There is a reason Garrett called a lot of tosses early in the game, then pounded them late. You make them chase you early, then pound them in the mouth at the end.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;2424405 said:

yeah let's not do things that are working and try things that aren't makes perfect sense to me

Shotgun Dave

Reaction score
Technically speaking, Garrett can't be both "all flash" and "all fizzle". He would have to be one, the other, or some combination of both. Hence, he would have to be "some flash and some fizzle".

But your point is taken. I disagree, but it's taken.

:cool:

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Shotgun Dave;2424610 said:
Technically speaking, Garrett can't be both "all flash" and "all fizzle". He would have to be one, the other, or some combination of both. Hence, he would have to be "some flash and some fizzle".

But your point is taken. I disagree, but it's taken.

:cool:
:muttley:

StylisticS

Reaction score
Guess that's only one. Because I was impressed by Garrett's playcallling today. There was some instances where I was screaming at them but he mixed his plays up and kept running the plays that was working. He wasn't stubborn in his play calls most of the time. Still needs improvement but I was pleased. But that can't happen for everyone.