Jason Garrett is all flash and all fizzle

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why I disagree with the post here, I would like to know why we take the playclock down to the last second almost everytime.

We have to stop that, because it's going to give me heart problems!! I'm constantly yelling at Romo and Gurode to snap the freaking ball!! :D

proline

Reaction score
Jason Garrett without Sparano is like cornflakes without the milk!

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
parchy;2424391 said:
In the midst of all the positive aftermath of TNew's return, an offensive line that actually got better as the game went on and the return of the 4th quarter Barbarian, I was yet again left completely unimpressed by Red Ball's performance for what seems to be the fifth or sixth time this year.

Couple things I'm noticing...

We continue to run the play clock until the final second every time... which prompts the question, our O-line's been mediocre a lot this year, and in places (Bigg, Colombo, Gurode) where that would've been unthinkable last year... it's a lot easier to be a quick-twitch lineman and time your blitz counts when you know exactly when the QB's getting the ball.

There are so many damn moving parts to our offense, and most of them seem extraneous and unhelpful. Anybody notice how many of those illegal formation penalties we get? In the heat of a tight late-season division game on the road, how is it a good idea to be motioning eight guys all over the place while your QB scrambles to get the snap at the last second from a spotty shotgun snapper? Even if the only point is to run straight interference, it seems to be distracting our own players more than anybody else. And how many times have those plays ended with mediocre results? It seems we have more success just lining up and beating people. We're better than almost every team we play player-by-player. Why do we need all this extra crap?

It's no secret why MBIII's not been producing the same numbers this year... the running plays haven't been suited to his skill set. Why are we running that stupid sweep every play to start games when fresh defenders can run him down? Or not using Choice to compliment his power when we've seen he's a better slasher and has better agility? Why run that misdirection handoff so many times when MBIII's skill set is clearly suited to pound inside holes at full speed? Get him outside, yeah, fine, but what we saw on the last drive was more like it. If only I was confident that that kind of play would continue....

And don't get me started on that stupid end-around that works maybe once a year...

There's just too damn much going on without the results to match. I'd say you need to trim some of this fat and get back down to beating the hell out of people in the trenches and grinding off that in the second half after a dazzling aerial show in the first half to jump up. Garrett's always had this propensity for this array of crap going on at one time, but judging by the penalties and the offensive results it might be time to scale back and let Romo get back to drawing up stuff in the dirt.

:bang2: :bang2: :bang2: Dang it still doesn't make any sense.:bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I thought his play calling was pretty good yesterday...had the Cowboys even settled for field goals on those two drives deep in Skins territory instead of int's they would have put up a respectable twenty points.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
parchy isn't being outrageous here guys.

anyone honestly think our offense is back to normal is kidding themselves. With the talent we have on this team I shouldn't be praying for first downs all the time.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
I thought Garrett shortening the game by having Romo snap it with just 1 second left on the play clock was the smartest thing I've ever seen him do. For a change, it actually looks like he had a well-thought-out plan for winning the game.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
parchy;2424391 said:
Anybody notice how many of those illegal formation penalties we get?

Not that it matters, but the one we had Sunday wasn't an illegal formation. It should have been called illegal substitution (apparently), not illegal formation. The formation was perfectly legal, but we (apparently) didn't report a player with an eligible receiver's number (Witten) playing at a position of an ineligible receiver (covered up by the wide receiver). That's illegal substitution, not illegal formation.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2427461 said:
Not that it matters, but the one we had Sunday wasn't an illegal formation. It should have been called illegal substitution (apparently), not illegal formation. The formation was perfectly legal, but we (apparently) didn't report a player with an eligible receiver's number (Witten) playing at a position of an ineligible receiver (covered up by the wide receiver). That's illegal substitution, not illegal formation.

That brings up a question about that. Is that on the player to know that he's going to be ineligible and report to the ref or is it on the coaches that they didn't make sure he knew that he needed to?

I guess we really have no way of knowing though. We're not in the loop of communication. :D

BLEU3ASY

Reaction score
parchy;2424391 said:
In the midst of all the positive aftermath of TNew's return, an offensive line that actually got better as the game went on and the return of the 4th quarter Barbarian, I was yet again left completely unimpressed by Red Ball's performance for what seems to be the fifth or sixth time this year.

Couple things I'm noticing...

We continue to run the play clock until the final second every time... which prompts the question, our O-line's been mediocre a lot this year, and in places (Bigg, Colombo, Gurode) where that would've been unthinkable last year... it's a lot easier to be a quick-twitch lineman and time your blitz counts when you know exactly when the QB's getting the ball.

There are so many damn moving parts to our offense, and most of them seem extraneous and unhelpful. Anybody notice how many of those illegal formation penalties we get? In the heat of a tight late-season division game on the road, how is it a good idea to be motioning eight guys all over the place while your QB scrambles to get the snap at the last second from a spotty shotgun snapper? Even if the only point is to run straight interference, it seems to be distracting our own players more than anybody else. And how many times have those plays ended with mediocre results? It seems we have more success just lining up and beating people. We're better than almost every team we play player-by-player. Why do we need all this extra crap?

It's no secret why MBIII's not been producing the same numbers this year... the running plays haven't been suited to his skill set. Why are we running that stupid sweep every play to start games when fresh defenders can run him down? Or not using Choice to compliment his power when we've seen he's a better slasher and has better agility? Why run that misdirection handoff so many times when MBIII's skill set is clearly suited to pound inside holes at full speed? Get him outside, yeah, fine, but what we saw on the last drive was more like it. If only I was confident that that kind of play would continue....

And don't get me started on that stupid end-around that works maybe once a year...

There's just too damn much going on without the results to match. I'd say you need to trim some of this fat and get back down to beating the hell out of people in the trenches and grinding off that in the second half after a dazzling aerial show in the first half to jump up. Garrett's always had this propensity for this array of crap going on at one time, but judging by the penalties and the offensive results it might be time to scale back and let Romo get back to drawing up stuff in the dirt.

change your avi, you're not a coach. i can understand not being satisfied with winning, but im not sure why you're complianing....i don't think anybody on the team knew what Romo could or couldn't do and i think the play calling showed that, but when he got looser the play calling opened up.....help me understand why the complaints about a gameplan that worked...?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I've been a big Garrett critic since the play off loss to NY but he did aight on Sunday. Why he won't give Choice more reps is driving me nuts. The TO end around things need to be scrapped, also the fake TO reverse, nobody buys it. I guess he just wants TO to feel useful:laugh2:

DallasDomination

Reaction score
You are crazy plain and simple.

last couple games Red was been dismal at best but against the skins he had a good game plan. We saw Slants, quick outs, Sweeps pitches, T.O in motion.

I loved it...We scored 14 points but If it wasnt for us getting in our own way we could of put up 28+.