Adult Language Jason Garrett is soft and only a clapper?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Garrett is a better coach than giving credit on this board but the criticism will never change. I have actually heard directly from ppl that are IN that locker room and they respect him and play for him. Time is running out though because no matter how great you are if you don't win...........

He's been here 8 years and isn't getting results.

Even if we got to the playoffs he will get taken to the shed by someone that will take advantage of our predictability.

I'm glad people in the locker room respect him but the respect and the try hard has gotten us nothing. It's past time for him to go and the Cowboys will have to have a HUGE week this week to not have a team that tanks next year and finally gets rid of our biggest problem.

We've wasted a lot of talent with Jason Garrett and we watched the guys in Philly turn that team around over night and did it with tons of injuries.

Coaching matters and our coaches give us no advantages.

They just cut the best 50/50 ball WR in the NFL too and it's not like Linehan is going to start scheming guys open. He's made a career off of Moss, Calvin, and Dez. Guys that anyone can scheme for.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score

Even if we got to the playoffs he will get taken to the shed by someone that will take advantage of our predictability.

I'm glad people in the locker room respect him but the respect and the try hard has gotten us nothing. It's past time for him to go and the Cowboys will have to have a HUGE week this week to not have a team that tanks next year and finally gets rid of our biggest problem.

We've wasted a lot of talent with Jason Garrett and we watched the guys in Philly turn that team around over night and did it with tons of injuries.

I'm actually thinking things are worse than expected now. I see JG give a speech cussing people out. I've seen the same with Witten in another thread. That begs the question....is anyone taking these to heart? Is it a talent gap? To me its a game plan/execution gap if these guys are getting reamed and it produces .500 type results. If your fire and brimstone produces nothing...then there is an issue.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm actually thinking things are worse than expected now. I see JG give a speech cussing people out. I've seen the same with Witten in another thread. That begs the question....is anyone taking these to heart? Is it a talent gap? To me its a game plan/execution gap if these guys are getting reamed and it produces .500 type results. If your fire and brimstone produces nothing...then there is an issue.

More effort is the mantra with these guys.

Sometimes more effort isn't enough. It's salary cap football and Dallas is playing checkers while other teams play chess.

We're not going to out roster anyone. We've had some of the best NFL Teams on paper.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Coaching matters and our coaches give us no advantages.

They just cut the best 50/50 ball WR in the NFL too and it's not like Linehan is going to start scheming guys open. He's made a career off of Moss, Calvin, and Dez. Guys that anyone can scheme for.

Jerry ran off the only coach that ever out-shined him, he's not going to hire another. Garret gets about as good a result as any other coach that JJ will hire will...

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I'll give it a shot...Jimmy Johnson? Man could swim inside people's heads to pull their strings, using his psychology skills.
Yeah, he sure went all Jedi master in Miami didn't he.

The salary cap has removed any real threat to a high paid player with guaranteed money getting cut. That's why player evaluation has become so very important and one we had failed at until 3 or 4 years ago.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Yeah, he sure went all Jedi master in Miami didn't he.

The salary cap has removed any real threat to a high paid player with guaranteed money getting cut. That's why player evaluation has become so very important and one we had failed at until 3 or 4 years ago.

In Jimmy's defense, he was saddled with an aging Marino and due to fan sentiment he really couldn't cut him. Think Jimmy realized it'd take a lot longer than the 2-3 years it took him to build the Cowboys to a competitive team and he just was too impatient to wait that long...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This is garrets norm, not the robot he plays in front of the camera answering the media.
but the garrett haters don't like that. they want him to be as animated in front of cameras, so they get a show and feel good about a coach....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So I just got around to actually watching the clip.

For all the guys talking about Garrett not being intimidating, a couple things-

He's not trying to intimidate, he's shaming. He's going after their pride as men. There is a difference.

What kind of grown man (especially a professional athlete) is going to be motivated by intimidation? I mean, do you want them to believe a coach is going to get physical? These aren't high school kids. This idea of a coach needing to intimidate grown men to motivate them just doesn't make sense to me. They know the score. They want the big payday. In this case, he's basically telling these guys, "This is why you're on the scout team and if you don't man up, you won't even be on it." Any man with an ounce of pride in himself wouldn't need more motivation. If he has to physically get in a guy's face and intimidate him so he'll play well, then the guy's probably not worth the effort.
initimating adult, super star atheletes doesn't work.

they are supposed to be PROFESSIONALs. I think shaming them is the better approach. you can intimate high school kids. intimate even college kids, but not pros.

yes, they all should be ashamed for not doing fundamental things expected of them, which says, they are going through motions and collecting a check.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Look I don't have any problems with Garrett as a motivator and how he gets across with his players. I think the team respects him and plays hard for him. My issue with Garrett is that I don't think he's a great X's and O's coach. I think his strategic coaching can be vanilla at times. I'm still not completely not sold against him but I'm not sold on him either.

The problem people have when we have a bad play and he's over on the sidelines clapping and smiling I understand both sides. From the perspective of a fan you're already frustrated with the way we're playing and then they show his lack of frustration (at least what he's showing) and it's annoying. But on the flip side athletes tend to perform better when they don't have as many highs and lows and Garrett treats them like the professionals they are and doesn't want them to get too down on themselves after a bad play in the middle of the fight. He does that to get them to shake it off and move on to the next play.

I think it's laughable that you think coaches have to be intimidating, these guys are grown men and athletes playing a tough sport. I don't think they've been scared of a coach since maybe high school. Garrett yells and gets tougher when he needs to get a point across. The players understand this, but it is not meant to strike fear it is meant to get a point across. And I do believe there is a level of respect the players have for Garrett that when he's trying to get a point across, he does.

ShortRound

Reaction score
We are entering his 9th years as head coach.
How much longer do you guys give him? (no sarcasm... just curious)

Team Year Regular season Postseason
Won
Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Win % Result
DAL*
2010 5 3 0 .625 3rd in NFC East – – – –
DAL 2011 8 8 0 .500 3rd in NFC East – – – –
DAL 2012 8 8 0 .500 3rd in NFC East – – – –
DAL 2013 8 8 0 .500 2nd in NFC East – – – –
DAL 2014 12 4 0 .750 1st in NFC East 1 1 .500 Lost to Green Bay Packers in NFC Divisional Game
DAL
2015 4 12 0 .250 4th in NFC East – – – –
DAL 2016 13 3 0 .813 1st in NFC East 0 1 .000 Lost to Green Bay Packers in NFC Divisional Game
DAL
2017 9 7 0 .563 2nd in NFC East – – – –
Total[28] 67 53 0 .559 1 2 .333

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Garrett

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Won
DAL*
DAL 2014 12 4 0 .750 1st in NFC East 1 1 .500 Lost to Green Bay Packers in NFC Divisional Game
DAL
DAL 2016 13 3 0 .813 1st in NFC East 0 1 .000 Lost to Green Bay Packers in NFC Divisional Game
DAL

How much longer? Depends. If the team can stay relatively healthy (T. Smith, Lee, Elliot in particular), really I'd give him this year ONLY. You can make all the excuses you want, such as "he's got to deal with Jerry, with Zeke's suspension, etc.) but at some point you have to make a change IF you feel as I do, you play to win Super Bowls, and he has had 10 years to do it, but hasn't even gotten close.

If there are significant injuries, I'd give him two, the talent in the NFL is so close, team to team, a few lost players can play merry heck with your ability to compete for titles. But even with injuries, at some point coaching becomes stale and you just have to shake things up...

dallasdave

Reaction score

Won
DAL*
DAL
DAL

2nd longest coah in Cowboy's History :eek:

ShortRound

Reaction score
How much longer? Depends. If the team can stay relatively healthy (T. Smith, Lee, Elliot in particular), really I'd give him this year ONLY. You can make all the excuses you want, such as "he's got to deal with Jerry, with Zeke's suspension, etc.) but at some point you have to make a change IF you feel as I do, you play to win Super Bowls, and he has had 10 years to do it, but hasn't even gotten close.

If there are significant injuries, I'd give him two, the talent in the NFL is so close, team to team, a few lost players can play merry heck with your ability to compete for titles. But even with injuries, at some point coaching becomes stale and you just have to shake things up...

I wonder if Jerry at his age would have the patience to start from scratch with new coach and staff. I feel he'll just move someone we already have to HC.

I don't think we'll get a clean slate for awhile.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
what's the difference? lol

I think Stephen is more willing to let his people do the actual work more. Whether or not Stephen "snatched the Manziel draft card out of Jerry's hand", I think Stephen doesn't deal as much with details of the coaching, personnel, etc....