Twitter: Jason Garrett PC - 12/26/13...and a few Chip Kelly quotes

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As much as I hate to admit this, I'm a fan of Chip Kelly.

I am, too. He's one college coaching candidate I'd have liked to see in Dallas if I didn't already like our guy better. The banana in the tailpipe quip is funny, too (Beverly Hills Cop reference for all you teenagers, I mean, 'realists' out there). :)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it was on "Inside The NFL" it was said the Eagles are tied for 1st in the NFL for the number of starters who haven't missed a game all season - 13.

They're going to be an actual good team in a year or two when Kelly gets a chance to bring in some more defensive talent. This year, they've been decent-and-fortunate as far as I'm concerned.

DEMARC0MURRAY29

Reaction score
I know .. Lurie fired a coach who has taken a 2-win team from last season to 11+ wins and a playoff spot this year. Lurie's a genius! /sarcasm

oh please. Reid was burned out in Philly. They clearly needed a change, everyone saw it.

Fansince64

Reaction score
I know .. Lurie fired a coach who has taken a 2-win team from last season to 11+ wins and a playoff spot this year. Lurie's a genius! /sarcasm

The only way Lurie is a genius is if you compare him to Jerry .... which is what I did.

Competent Owners >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lurie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jerry

Monte Sliger

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
"I know this team isn't going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe trick this week."

Eddie Murphy birthed a gem of a one-liner here....

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only way Lurie is a genius is if you compare him to Jerry .... which is what I did.

Competent Owners >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lurie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jerry

Monte Sliger

You could make that argument for every owner in the league with a team that has a winning record or against every owner that has a team with a losing record. Lurie has not been impressive either which is why their trophy cabinet remains empty. Now if you'd done your little >>> chart comparison among GM's including Jerry, it would make more sense. In no scenario would I label Lurie a "genius" though.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
oh please. Reid was burned out in Philly. They clearly needed a change, everyone saw it.

That may be true, but it's hard to label an owner a "genius" if he gets rid of a guy that takes a 2-win team to 11+ wins and a playoff birth the very next season with a different team. Change might be necessary, but that's not anywhere near the realm of "genius".

jblaze2004

Reaction score
I rather have andy reid than garrett, andy reid scheme>>>>garrets 1990 scheme.....There both pass happy but reid knows how to get his playmakers the ball in space.

Next Years Champ

Reaction score
Of course Chip isn't worried about us switching our game plan. Why on earth would we do that?! Is not like our starting Qb is out or anything.

It's all sort of a slur aimed at Garrett and his staff..

..saying the Cowboys will run the same offense whether its Romo or Orton.

..meaning their coaching staff can't adjust welll enough in ithis amount of time in developing a new game plan with Orton.

I don't think so.

Would he run the same offense with Michael Vick playing instead of Foles?

I don't think so.

So there will be big changes in the offense.

Now..will they work?

That's the real answer.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We'll see if the Eagles run away with the division next season and make the playoffs now that the rest of the league will have a years' worth of film on Kelly's offense and Foles. Then I'll be impressed.

Agree
Give DC's the off season to come up with schemes to stop his offense.
Not hearing a lot of pumping of the read option offenses this year as much as last year.

And it helps to have talent and depth too.
Eagles the least injured team this year. Only started 30 different players...cowboys have used 19 on the DL alone. Not to mention LB and DB's. Only a few on Offense side though.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Yep, I didn't think he would be anything more than a gimmick offense when I first heard he got the job but I have to admit I'm impressed with how he tailors his offense to fit the players he has instead of forcing them into a system.

Pretty revolutionary huh :)?

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I am, too. He's one college coaching candidate I'd have liked to see in Dallas if I didn't already like our guy better. The banana in the tailpipe quip is funny, too (Beverly Hills Cop reference for all you teenagers, I mean, 'realists' out there). :)

Oh Johnny Wishbone; you're vision was correct :)

Fansince64

Reaction score
That may be true, but it's hard to label an owner a "genius" if he gets rid of a guy that takes a 2-win team to 11+ wins and a playoff birth the very next season with a different team. Change might be necessary, but that's not anywhere near the realm of "genius".

That genius who is 11-4 with the Chiefs now was 4-12 with the Eagles last year. With virtually the same team, Kelly is 9-6 with 1 game to go. There are times when a change of scenery is necessary for players as well as for coaches.

Again, Lurie is an a** but compared to Jerry he is a Rhodes scholar (at least as far as football decisions go). You want to compare Jerry as a salesman and marketing person, I would place him above almost anyone in the NFL. He has proved that - look at the market value of the Cowboys. Unfortunately, Jerry doesn't restrict himself to what he is good at. He makes football decisions where he has absolutely no concept of what is good for his team.

Monte Sliger

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That genius who is 11-4 with the Chiefs now was 4-12 with the Eagles last year. With virtually the same team, Kelly is 9-6 with 1 game to go. There are times when a change of scenery is necessary for players as well as for coaches.

Again, Lurie is an a** but compared to Jerry he is a Rhodes scholar (at least as far as football decisions go). You want to compare Jerry as a salesman and marketing person, I would place him above almost anyone in the NFL. He has proved that - look at the market value of the Cowboys. Unfortunately, Jerry doesn't restrict himself to what he is good at. He makes football decisions where he has absolutely no concept of what is good for his team.

Monte Sliger

Lurie is not impressive as an owner at all. I realize your goal is to bash Jerry and deservedly so, given the disappointing state of the team, but elevating another owner that has never had a championship team to genius or "Rhodes scholar" is ridiculous and wreaks of reaching. If you had said Mara, it would have been more applicable because they have at least had success.

As for Reid, last year he was stuck with Michael Vick who was paid as a franchise quarterback. Kelly, on the other hand, chose Vick, not Foles, as his starter to begin the season and if it were not for Vick getting hurt, the Eagles wouldn't be in the division lead right now. Kelly basically lucked into it. Reid took a cast-off quarterback that had been labeled a bust two different times and improved a 2-win team to 11+ wins. The Eagles are simply the least-of-the-worst NFC East teams and they are lucky Vick got hurt or they wouldn't even have that.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chip has done a good job in his first year. No denying that - and to think he has Maclin returning next year. I am envious of what the Eagles have done and how fast they have done it, to be honest.

aikemirv

Reaction score
This is the Eagles team who had the talent to run over the NFC East last year - at least that is what we heard all off-season and now they are barely over 500 and Chip Kelly is a genius - interesting!

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the Eagles team who had the talent to run over the NFC East last year - at least that is what we heard all off-season and now they are barely over 500 and Chip Kelly is a genius - interesting!

I wouldn't call him a genius, but to take any team to win your division in your first year (if he does it) is impressive.

dupree89

Reaction score
I wouldn't call him a genius, but to take any team to win your division in your first year (if he does it) is impressive.

The guy in Chicago is on the verge of the same thing. I'm not sure if this has ever been brought up on this forum...but has anyone ever considered the possibility of Dallas needing a new head coach?

;)