Twitter: Jason Garrett PC Tweetcap - 11/9/15

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
"Jason Garrett said Cowboys' biggest problem in slowing the Eagles' run game was getting lined up quickly enough pre-snap. Tempo hurt them."

Chip Kelly completely fooled our staff by coming out in a no huddle, up tempo offense. There's no way they could have seen that coming so it was tough to prepare for.

anyone know where i can get an industrial strength sarcasm meter? mine just went off the chain and exploded for some reason...

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
That's part of the problem, I think Jerry is on the hook for 5 year unless JG coaches somewhere else...and the odds of that happening???

if jones wanted garrett gone, he's gone. $ in the contract wouldn't matter an ounce.

and as much as i hate it, *if* the rumor of payton able to leave NO after this year is true - the more we suck the hotter that idea is going to get.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Survey says----zero.

Garrett definitely wouldn't get an Xs and Os job like coordinator - too many teams around the league have schooled him.

Garrett is a politician. He is spinning this losing streak as they are playing so hard and tough despite adversity and doing things the right way. Yet every week dumb mistakes and lack of preparation kill them.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Just curious, are the players ever at fault? I bet if I looked back most of the people *****ing and complaining said the same thing when Mike Zimmer was here. How's Zim doing?

This team has 1, maybe 2, playmakers on defense. They have played 4 one score games without QB1, I'm guessing he would have proven to be the difference in 3, if not all 4 of those games. I had a real problem with the decision making in the Seattle game from a coaching standpoint. Garrett's not a bad coach, but as always if you want to replace him, what is the alternative? When has this owner hired a strong, independent, creative coach? Once with Jimmy Johnson, and it ate him up so bad he canned him after back to back Super Bowls. Let me repeat - back to back Super Bowls. Once more with Parcells, and that lasted 4 years. Then Jerry went back to 2 yes men.

Naruto

Reaction score
What about last year when it led to takeaways?

Did you sleep through last season?

The top 4 teams in TOs last year are all in the bottom half of the league this year with a couple close to dead last. The Texans were near the bottom with us before they manhandled the Titans for 3 TOs

Funny thing about the NFL coaches watch a lot of film and tend to adjust to stop what you are good at...oh yeah and abnormally high turnovers are and always will be based on luck. Great defenses have to win without relying on turnovers. They should be added bonuses.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just curious, are the players ever at fault? I bet if I looked back most of the people *****ing and complaining said the same thing when Mike Zimmer was here. How's Zim doing?

This team has 1, maybe 2, playmakers on defense. They have played 4 one score games without QB1, I'm guessing he would have proven to be the difference in 3, if not all 4 of those games. I had a real problem with the decision making in the Seattle game from a coaching standpoint. Garrett's not a bad coach, but as always if you want to replace him, what is the alternative? When has this owner hired a strong, independent, creative coach? Once with Jimmy Johnson, and it ate him up so bad he canned him after back to back Super Bowls. Let me repeat - back to back Super Bowls. Once more with Parcells, and that lasted 4 years. Then Jerry went back to 2 yes men.

We had a whole movement called "get rid of Zimmer." GROZ, for short. People put it proudly in their sigs and would debate you for years if you had the temerity to say the guy was a good coordinator.

We had people saying the same things about Sean Payton when he was here, too. Because, you know, it was the coaching.

Good times.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
And you are going to ignore the fact that the defense you are defending has created only 4 turnovers in 8 games so far this season?

One year is different from the next, especially in the NFL.

Let me remind you again in case you still want to compare things using last year's standard. We have created a total of 4, yes 4, turnovers!

If it worked last year, that's great. It sure as hell ain't working this year. I mean, I guess it really is illogical to think that professional football coaches can, will and have made adjustments to what we are running at them on defense.

So what exactly are you saying? If it worked last year then it should be working this year?

We have more talent on the field this year than we did last year, by a wide margin. The mere fact that you defend 4 turnovers and this defense is the only illogical thing going on here.

I bet you are the kind of guy that would bang your head against a brick wall because you saw someone on the internet do it and knock the wall down. Hey, it worked before, lets keep doing it.

I'm not defending the defense. I'm just laughing at your stance.

You basically said this scheme can't produce turnovers.

Ran the same scheme last year. But because that kind of ruins your point you ignore it.

You should stop doing things like that.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Garrett definitely wouldn't get an Xs and Os job like coordinator - too many teams around the league have schooled him.

Garrett is a politician. He is spinning this losing streak as they are playing so hard and tough despite adversity and doing things the right way. Yet every week dumb mistakes and lack of preparation kill them.

And then........I read this.....and my ulcer kicked in..........:confused:

Cowboys Nation ‏@cowboyszone 38m38 minutes ago
To those who keep saying "fire the coaching staff", let it go. Jerry would owe ~$36m total to Rod/Linehan/Jason. & they shouldn't be fired

________________________________________________________________________________________

They're not going anywhere:banghead:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
2 things

1. How about a corner blitz? What could it hurt? A safety blitz? Something...

2. If we ever win Super Bowl it will because of Romo playing well and not making mistakes.
In other words ... it won't because of Jason Garrett coaching decisions.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
I'm not defending the defense. I'm just laughing at your stance.

You basically said this scheme can't produce turnovers.

Ran the same scheme last year. But because that kind of ruins your point you ignore it.

You should stop doing things like that.

It produced turnovers last year.

This year, it's incapable of doing so and that's just a fact. Bringing up what happened last year means absolutely nothing.

Again, professional coaches scheme and make adjustments which is something that you ignore.

It's pointless to bring up last year. Obviously the teams we play watched the tape of our successes last year and have adjusted their approach to how they attack our defense.

It's totally different.

Again, this defense has created 4 turnovers. We are embarrassingly last in the NFL in that category. The defense can't produce turnovers. It's a fact. It's reasonable to assume. It's ridiculous for anybody to refute it especially by using a sample size that was last year given the variables and complexities of the NFL.

You should stop doing that.

Last edited:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
From a two year sample size you can ascertain what is an anomaly?
Misjudged the argument. I thought it was strictly about the record, 12-4, which is definitely an anomaly in the Garrett era. My apologies.

But if it is just about Marinelli, it helps to see that in three years in Detroit, 10th, 3rd and 26th in takeaways forced. Chicago's defense was excellent at it, but then again, it had professional strip artists like Tillman on it. So the question becomes since he teaches it, so they say, why is nobody responding? Dungy, Kiffin and Lovie Smith have had similar years where the turnovers simply bottom out inexplicably. I cannot understand the complete lack of forced fumbles. Last season they were ripping at the ball, nearly every play, you could tell that was a focus and it paid off. This year, they are just happy to get them on the ground.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
So they weren't ready for the Eagles to play up tempo ?

This is inexcusable and it shows a team not properly prepared for the opponent. This isn't some AFC team that hasn't played against Chips Eagles before, this is a division team that we should know inside out by now.

If you are not on the "coaches fault" bandwagon yet, you should at least be in line buying your tickets.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is inexcusable and it shows a team not properly prepared for the opponent. This isn't some AFC team that hasn't played against Chips Eagles before, this is a division team that we should know inside out by now.

If you are not on the "coaches fault" bandwagon yet, you should at least be in line buying your tickets.

I'd suggest listening to the press conference re: that particular quote. There's quite a bit of context there that's important.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Misjudged the argument. I thought it was strictly about the record, 12-4, which is definitely an anomaly in the Garrett era. My apologies.

But if it is just about Marinelli, it helps to see that in three years in Detroit, 10th, 3rd and 26th in takeaways forced. Chicago's defense was excellent at it, but then again, it had professional strip artists like Tillman on it. So the question becomes since he teaches it, so they say, why is nobody responding? Dungy, Kiffin and Lovie Smith have had similar years where the turnovers simply bottom out inexplicably. I cannot understand the complete lack of forced fumbles. Last season they were ripping at the ball, nearly every play, you could tell that was a focus and it paid off. This year, they are just happy to get them on the ground.

I believe turnovers are more a product of a fast, swarming defense, rather than a focus on stripping the ball. In other words, get as many hats on the ball as possible, as quickly as possible, and the turnovers will follow. Do not focus on stripping the ball because that leads to poor tackling form and an extra five yards for the ball carrier.

It's like our 1992 team, forcing ten turnovers against the Bills in the SB. Are the Bills that careless? Nope. Did they just pick the SB to have their sloppiest game of the year? Nope. They were simply overwhelmed by the speed and physicality of the Cowboys defense and the turnovers came in bunches. That's what this defense needs to get back to and what they did so well last year, despite having less talent -- they swarmed to the ball. When you get that many guys flying around, the ball is bound to come out eventually.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It's like our 1992 team, forcing ten turnovers against the Bills in the SB. Are the Bills that careless? Nope. Did they just pick the SB to have their sloppiest game of the year? Nope. They were simply overwhelmed by the speed and physicality of the Cowboys defense and the turnovers came in bunches. That's what this defense needs to get back to and what they did so well last year, despite having less talent -- they swarmed to the ball. When you get that many guys flying around, the ball is bound to come out eventually.

Hard to swarm when you are petrified to make a mistake knowing your offense can't score.

That is the best way I can think of what might be going on in their heads. Or maybe they are just dumb like Haley said.

I just don't know anymore. Seeing our offense play scared, the defense play cautious, it just looks like that is the plan and it is affecting everything.

bark

Reaction score
I just cannot believe he actually came out and said that.

Yea that was my thoughts when I read that quote. Obviously they know what the Eagles do, just didn't phrase that one to well