Jason Garrett the underlying problem

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
dooomsday;2486252 said:
3 offensive players in the know more than fans blamed Wit and Romo, not Red, of not running the plays to completion, but rather only looking for each other.

TNew took several shots at the excuse making, credit taking HC.

And the locker room is at odds.

Yeah, sounds like the fault of a subservient coordinator, who neither plays or is in charge. LOL. As long as it isnt Romo and Fat Wad, blaming anyone else is fine! Haahahaha!!!

JG, run that play where Romo runs in circles and throws with his girl hand! That one was close. God knows he can't run anything that requires a bullet pass where only his receiver can get it, or a timing pattern to secure a tough road upset with 2 WRs open down field. Dooooh! Why you Garrett! Make Tony look like he did Thanksgiving 06. Everything after is YOUR fault. LOL!

:lmao: Great post!

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbailey423;2483924 said:
If Garrett could coordinate an offense that did not require a Ferrari at every position.....we would not have so many "weapons" who want and feel like they deserve the ball.

I agree. We really need to get rid of some of these good players and get some average players to make us better..............:banghead:

dooomsday

Reaction score
Sarge;2486263 said:
I agree. We really need to get rid of some of these good players and get some average players to make us better..............:banghead:

LMAO!!!!

I think Romo should audible to a chevy more often.

Pat Crayton is a Ferrari? I am just askin'.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
dooomsday;2486272 said:
I have come to the conclusion that Romo and Wad are making Garrett look bad.

:cool:;)

They are all making the Cowboys look bad. Order of blame.

1) Wade because he's the one with the true final say and does nothing about the offense.
2) Garrett because he's in charge at the moment and doesn't demand accountability from Romo nor does he find ways to help the offense find a groove.
3) Romo with his poor execution and his audibles that result in pic's...

They all stink at the moment...

khiladi

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2484320 said:
I think Garrett is certainly a part of the issue because it's clear, painfully almost, at times that he doesn't use some of his playmakers the right one.

The big thing, to me, is that Owens should rarely be running deep routes, IMO. He should be running 8-10 yard crosses, drags (at 5-8 yards), quick slants, outs, and those sort of things to get the ball into his hands quickly and let him do what he does best, run after the catch.

Where I think he's messing up here is having Owens run all these flys, and 15-20 yard ins and posts and such which are forcing Romo to look away from him, and go elsewhere, before the routes they've got Owens using can even be effective.

A little changing would be nice but even at that the issue isn't entirely Garrett or entirely one person at all.

You hit it on the head. And BTW, this was happening when Sparano was here as well, with TO being used mainly in the style of a possession receiver.

Teams are just having their CBs play man, with help over the top, because they know the routes TO runs are deep. Jason isn't doing an effective job of having safeties bite to the line.

Also, it isn't just about TO, the other WRs are speaking up as well. How many times has Garrett called the fade-route to RW in the red-zone, when it worked against Tampa?

Where is the use of Crayton in the slot? He is nowhere near as effective in moving the chains as in the past. He has moved back to the number 3 receiver, so he should be quite effective at it. He must be seeing plenty of LB match-ups.

risco

Reaction score
bbailey423;2483924 said:
If Garrett could coordinate an offense that did not require a Ferrari at every position.....we would not have so many "weapons" who want and feel like they deserve the ball. I remember Deion pointing out when signed Roy Williams that Garrett needs to make better use of the talent he has instead of having the owner throw more money at the offense to cover up his inablitity to figure out how to get TO the ball. He inherited a top 5 offense from Tony Sparano...and has turned it into a top 5 offense. Tony Sparano was basically told to move over because "the Messiah" has arrived. So what do we do...we make Garrett the highest paid coordinator in the history of the NFL...give him all the weapons in the world...and now we are witnessing this blow up in our face. How long did you think it was going to last that all of these guys were not going to start wanting the football?

You make a real good point- I have often wondered how does other teams get their #1 receiver so many catches, granted TO must catch catchable balls? Look at Denver's Brandon Marshall- Cowboys need to scheme better. Schemes simply do fall on coaching It's time for JG to earn that pay.

khiladi

Reaction score
dooomsday;2486252 said:
3 offensive players in the know more than fans blamed Wit and Romo, not Red, of not running the plays to completion, but rather only looking for each other.

TNew took several shots at the excuse making, credit taking HC.

And the locker room is at odds.

Yeah, sounds like the fault of a subservient coordinator, who neither plays or is in charge. LOL. As long as it isnt Romo and Fat Wad, blaming anyone else is fine! Haahahaha!!!

JG, run that play where Romo runs in circles and throws with his girl hand! That one was close. God knows he can't run anything that requires a bullet pass where only his receiver can get it, or a timing pattern to secure a tough road upset with 2 WRs open down field. Dooooh! Why you Garrett! Make Tony look like he did Thanksgiving 06. Everything after is YOUR fault. LOL!

Actually, not true...

1. The 3 WRs went to Jason Garrett. We have no proof to say that they were upset it was because TR was targetting Witten. Over the past few weeks, Terrell Owens has been calling out the offensive play-calling, not the play of TR. He has been saying he is most effective when used in motion.

2. Remember when TR came back, this whole offense felt re-energized. After the 49ers game, TO clearly states that the QB can make things happen when the OL blocks.

3. Newman referred to coaching, not Wade Phillips in particular. And it seems he also expressed the opinion of the team that hey are wondering why TO isn't getting the ball more. Wade has also said TO needs to get the ball more and after the first Commanders game, Wade pointed out we needed to run more. Everybody knows that Jason Garrett is in control of this offense. Newman was most likely pointing to Jason Garrett, rather than Wade. Hell, as soon as Wade took over this defense, the defense has been playing awesone. Why would Newman be calling out the very man who has improved this defense from a coaching perspective?

risco

Reaction score
khiladi;2486552 said:
Actually, not true...

1. The 3 WRs went to Jason Garrett. We have no proof to say that they were upset it was because TR was targetting Witten. Over the past few weeks, Terrell Owens has been calling out the offensive play-calling, not the play of TR. He has been saying he is most effective when used in motion.

2. Remember when TR came back, this whole offense felt re-energized. After the 49ers game, TO clearly states that the QB can make things happen when the OL blocks.

3. Newman referred to coaching, not Wade Phillips in particular. And it seems he also expressed the opinion of the team that hey are wondering why TO isn't getting the ball more. Wade has also said TO needs to get the ball more and after the first Commanders game, Wade pointed out we needed to run more. Everybody knows that Jason Garrett is in control of this offense. Newman was most likely pointing to Jason Garrett, rather than Wade. Hell, as soon as Wade took over this defense, the defense has been playing awesone. Why would Newman be calling out the very man who has improved this defense from a coaching perspective?

Great post btw- Could it be that JG is in over his head??? Could it be his preparation? This is puzzling.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
khiladi;2486552 said:
Actually, not true...

Only because he hasn't come down on his OC.

khiladi

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2486666 said:
Only because he hasn't come down on his OC.

Well, he should. I wish he was as good an OC, as he was a DC, because this offense would be ridiculous. He took over the defense from Stewart, didn't he?

Is Garrett too stupid to not realize he needs to change... The guy has been given free reign to coach the team offensively. It isn't Wade's responsibility. Wade didn't make JG the highest-paid coordinator in history...

BTW, Wade is the one that went to Houck and asked him Holland was ready to play. And once he said he was, then Holland started. Why didn't Garrett do it?

khiladi

Reaction score
dbair1967;2486699 said:
Because Houck coaches the OL

So why didn't Jason go to Houck? Wade is the type of personality that rarely interferes. Look how long he kept Briant Stewart as DC? And Stewart is his boy, Jason isn't. Jason is the assistant Head Coach. If it took Wade to go to Houck to insert Holland, then there obviously is an issue with Jason garrett, because Prcotor was flat-out sucking.

ethiostar

Reaction score
khiladi;2486552 said:

IMHO, Tnew's comment about the coaching staff taking responsibility came after Wade uncharacteristically pointed out the play where Tnew gave up that long reception during Pitt's game as a significant turning point in the game. Of course he also said there were other breakdowns but he singled out that play during his press conference and i'm sure Tnew took exception to it.

khiladi

Reaction score
ethiostar;2486725 said:
IMHO, Tnew's comment about the coaching staff taking responsibility came after Wade uncharacteristically pointed out the play where Tnew gave up that long reception during Pitt's game as a significant turning point in the game. Of course he also said there were other breakdowns but he singled out that play during his press conference and i'm sure Tnew took exception to it.

I just read that article from Newman, and I'm leaning towards that opinion now.... But Newman was also saying TO isn't getting the ball... And Wade does tend to say things are always his fault and he needs to coach this team better. If there is one thing though, Wade needs to be more assertive in terms of control.

Well, we can be sure of one thing... The problem is really in the coaching staff...

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
khiladi;2486700 said:
So why didn't Jason go to Houck? Wade is the type of personality that rarely interferes. Look how long he kept Briant Stewart as DC? And Stewart is his boy, Jason isn't. Jason is the assistant Head Coach. If it took Wade to go to Houck to insert Holland, then there obviously is an issue with Jason garrett, because Prcotor was flat-out sucking.

How do you know he didnt go to Houck? Maybe Houck told him he wasnt ready or didnt know enough of the playbook. There was also talk by Micky that there was some issue with his contract involved.

Garrett is not the problem here.

ddh33

Reaction score
I am amazed, but I guess I shouldn't be.

Apparently, Jason Garrett is the problem because the offense only scores about 30 a game when healthy.

Or, Tony Romo is to blame because he's playing so poorly, even though Romo is playing great except for a poor game in Pitt.

The lengths people will go to in order to convince everyone that their guy isn't the problem...

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
ddh33;2486779 said:
I am amazed, but I guess I shouldn't be.

Apparently, Jason Garrett is the problem because the offense only scores about 30 a game when healthy.

Or, Tony Romo is to blame because he's playing so poorly, even though Romo is playing great except for a poor game in Pitt.

The lengths people will go to in order to convince everyone that their guy isn't the problem...

I'm not the biggest Jason Garrett fan because I really do think just about anyone could step in with the talent we have on offense and get equal or better production, but the results do speak for themselves. It's not like we've struggled to put points on the board when we had everyone healthy.

And the Romo thing? Well, he was leading the NFL in passer rating before the Pitt game and had a roughly 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio. Obviously, leading the league in passing isn't good enough. He's now what ails the offense. Interesting logic floating around here.

khiladi

Reaction score
dbair1967;2486753 said:
How do you know he didnt go to Houck? Maybe Houck told him he wasnt ready or didnt know enough of the playbook. There was also talk by Micky that there was some issue with his contract involved.

Garrett is not the problem here.

Whatever reason you posit for Garrett exist with Wade... So Houck told Garrett Holland wasn't ready, but he told Wade that he was... And what happened when Holland was inserted into the starting line-up... The problem is clearly Garrett...