Jason Garrett vs Jimmy Johnson

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I have noticed that Garrett is trying to emulate Johnson's coaching style.
It would make sense since he played for him and got first hand observation of his success.

Both coaches were/are not known for being great X and O guys.
Both relied on assembling top notch talent and then execution of basic offenses.

They did not out scheme the other team.
Jason however lacks 2 things Johnson had :

1. Johnson demand/commanded respect from his teams, they feared him.
I don't think we can say the same for Garrett.
2. Johnson had the H. Walker trade that netted him a boatload of top draft picks,
so he could secure that top notch talent.

Both Coaches did/do have an eye for talent.

One other difference is that Johnson would gamble.
I remember fake field goals and punts.

Has Garrett ever tried that in his tenure ?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Johnson had command of defensive football. He understood it and had a grasp of how to motivate . Big difference.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Hers a fun game, lets translate jimmy quotes to garret-speak....

Jj:"I was going to talk to Buddy, but he got his fat butt out of there"...= JG:" we handle post game discussions well. We have taught post game responses well. We do calisthenics well.

JJ:"You have asthma, go to the asthma field" = JG:"you have to respond well to adversity in the National Football League in 3 physiological phase, neurological, pulmonary and respiratory."

Dodger12

Reaction score
I have noticed that Garrett is trying to emulate Johnson's coaching style.
It would make sense since he played for him and got first hand observation of his success.

Both coaches were/are not known for being great X and O guys.

I don't think you're giving Johnson enough credit. The guy began his coaching career in 1965 and had to be an X's and O's guy to last that long. He worked his way up through the college ranks before the NFL and his defensive style was emulated in the NFL. You simply can't compare the two in the way you're trying to do.

They did not out scheme the other team.

Johnson built a team to meet his scheme. If it was a simple as you make it out to be, he would have kept David Shula as OC. He was aggressive and brought the fight to the other team on both sides of the ball.

1. Johnson demand/commanded respect from his teams, they feared him.
I don't think we can say the same for Garrett.
2. Johnson had the H. Walker trade that netted him a boatload of top draft picks,
so he could secure that top notch talent.

Garrett inherited a QB that is border line HOF and would be a HOF QB had he had a few more playoff wins or SB's. Garrett inherited a HOF DE/LB and a HOF TE. To insinuate that he didn't have any talent when he first started is absurd. And I won't hold it against Jimmy because he jnew what to do with the draft picks and knew how to motivate and coach.

Both Coaches did/do have an eye for talent.

Please show me Garrett's eye for talent. This is the biggest crock of doo doo the Garrett supporters point to. Yet, with all this talent, he can;t win 1 game in 7. Pleeeeaaaasssseeeee........

Has Garrett ever tried that in his tenure ?

Johnson's coaching style was honed after years of coaching at the college level. Garrett has none of these things (ie: bag of experience) with which to dig in to. He's a hack and if it isn't plain as day after the past 7 weeks, I don't know what to tell you.

cml750

Reaction score
Well in five years Jimmy built a Superbowl championship team and actually won two himself while building a team that even Barry Switzer could win a Superbowl with. Garrett in five years is the epitome of mediocrity. There is no comparison between the two except maybe they were both born in the USA.

I should add that Jimmy started with a 1 - 15 team while Garrett took over a playoff caliber team.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I don't think you're giving Johnson enough credit. The guy began his coaching career in 1965 and had to be an X's and O's guy to last that long. He worked his way up through the college ranks before the NFL and his defensive style was emulated in the NFL. You simply can't compare the two in the way you're trying to do.

Johnson built a team to meet his scheme. If it was a simple as you make it out to be, he would have kept David Shula as OC. He was aggressive and brought the fight to the other team on both sides of the ball.

Garrett inherited a QB that is border line HOF and would be a HOF QB had he had a few more playoff wins or SB's. Garrett inherited a HOF DE/LB and a HOF TE. To insinuate that he didn't have any talent when he first started is absurd. And I won't hold it against Jimmy because he jnew what to do with the draft picks and knew how to motivate and coach.

Please show me Garrett's eye for talent. This is the biggest crock of doo doo the Garrett supporters point to. Yet, with all this talent, he can;t win 1 game in 7. Pleeeeaaaasssseeeee........

Johnson's coaching style was honed after years of coaching at the college level. Garrett has none of these things (ie: bag of experience) with which to dig in to. He's a hack and if it isn't plain as day after the past 7 weeks, I don't know what to tell you.

Jimmy could not use adverbs appropriately

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score

Yes Johnson coaching was hones at the college level....but how can you pass on Jason Garrett coaching skills....they are honed by known other than Jerry Jones himself......LOL

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Garrett is not an X and O type of coach. Johnson was I my opinion. Your giving too much credit to Garrett by comparing him to Johnson.

Johnson was was a gambler and he likes to change things and make things happen. He had a feel for the game on whether to go for it on fourth down on not. He was all out in trying to win games and took losing seriously.

On the other hand Garrett has a real bad feel for the game. He is predictable in his playcalling to the point it's robotic. I think he tries too hard to emulate other coaches who were successful like Johnson and Landry. He isn't innovative and doesn't bring much to the table coaching wise. Thus it shows in the results of his team.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Well in five years Jimmy built a Superbowl championship team and actually won two himself while building a team that even Barry Switzer could win a Superbowl with. Garrett in five years is the epitome of mediocrity. There is no comparison between the two except maybe they were both born in the USA.

I should add that Jimmy started with a 1 - 15 team while Garrett took over a playoff caliber team.

BEST POST of the LAST 5 years....

MagicMan

Reaction score
Actually, way different coaches.......Jimmy came into the NFL able to put the fear of God in his players because of his previous dominant Hurricane teams; Jason got handed the job prematurely and still has lots to learn. Jimmy also took calculated risks and was able to feel the pulse of his team and what they needed at the moment. Jason just seems detached and more of a fan just like us------he tries his "pep talk" speeches but with no past successes, just seem hollow and not credible.

I thought he had turned the corner after last year, but he was just riding Romo's coat tails apparently. I am starting to think Romo could eventually be a better head coach than Garrett-----Jethro may just have that in mind. Or at least, offensive coordinator once his playing days are over. :thumbup:

Dodger12

Reaction score
Yes Johnson coaching was hones at the college level....but how can you passing on Jason Garrett coaching skills....they are honed by known other than Jerry Jones himself......

Jerry knows coaching talent....I won't deny that. My bad.