Jason Garrett vs Jimmy Johnson

rags747

Reaction score
Garrett last yr was pretty good IMO, but then he had a team that he could take chances with.

CowboysandSkynyrd

Reaction score
I was looking back at some old sports magazines and thought this was very interesting. Dallas article from the Sporting News, May 4th 1992. "The Cowboys have not yet started negotiating the contracts of nine veteran starters - Irvin, Novacek, Stepnoski, Tolbert, Jeffcoat, Norton, Vinson Smith, Ray Horton and James Washington. Coach Jimmy Johnson warns that those players had better get their contracts signed before training camp or else. Johnson went on to say " If they're not in camp, their role will be diminished. Bottom line, final, period. I will not disrupt a football team because of a player not working in the off season and not being under contract. Our team will function and win without that individual. I'm very adamant about that."

Reactions: BAT

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Why are we even having this discussion? Johnson had a hand in 3 SB's and Garrett has 1 playoff win. I mean, is there really a comparison at any level? Freaking absurd......

We're having this discussion because this is the Twilight Zone where absurd comparisons are made all the time. It's hard to tell if people are just looking for a laugh with these threads or they're being serious. Some are so out of touch with reality that a Jason Garrett vs Tom Landry thread was started in 2012 during Garrett's second straight 8-8 season. o_O

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/jason-garrett-vs-tom-landry.229565/

dupree89

Reaction score
JJ:"You have asthma, go to the asthma field" = JG:"you have to respond well to adversity in the National Football League in 3 physiological phase, neurological, pulmonary and respiratory."

:lmao::lmao:

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Did anybody hear Braoddus yesterday on Cowboys Break. Guy called in and said that the Cowboys screwed up by letting Callahan go and Broaddus lost it. He completely called the guy out and told him he should've known Callahan wanted out - bad. In fact so bad that Callahan stopped Brian in the halls before he left Valley Ranch and called Garrett a name that Broaddus said nobody in the NFL wants so be called -- and it sounds like Wussy.

Man he was fired up.

scottsp

Reaction score
Jimmy made his share of mistakes, no doubt. But he was never so risk-averse. The man never minded putting his arse out there, even it meant blowing up in his face. More times than not, he granted his club a distinct competitive advantage.

The "next" Tom Landry? Eh, not so much.

Also, one of the things I loved most about Johnson, he was almost maniacal about depth along the defensive front, particularly inside. We saw it not only in Dallas, but at the U.

mrmojo

Reaction score
I don't think you're giving Johnson enough credit. The guy began his coaching career in 1965 and had to be an X's and O's guy to last that long. He worked his way up through the college ranks before the NFL and his defensive style was emulated in the NFL. You simply can't compare the two in the way you're trying to do.

Johnson built a team to meet his scheme. If it was a simple as you make it out to be, he would have kept David Shula as OC. He was aggressive and brought the fight to the other team on both sides of the ball.

Garrett inherited a QB that is border line HOF and would be a HOF QB had he had a few more playoff wins or SB's. Garrett inherited a HOF DE/LB and a HOF TE. To insinuate that he didn't have any talent when he first started is absurd. And I won't hold it against Jimmy because he jnew what to do with the draft picks and knew how to motivate and coach.

Please show me Garrett's eye for talent. This is the biggest crock of doo doo the Garrett supporters point to. Yet, with all this talent, he can;t win 1 game in 7. Pleeeeaaaasssseeeee........

Johnson's coaching style was honed after years of coaching at the college level. Garrett has none of these things (ie: bag of experience) with which to dig in to. He's a hack and if it isn't plain as day after the past 7 weeks, I don't know what to tell you.
Great post. Jimmy just didn't all of sudden become Jimmy Johnson....took a lot of years of paying his dues to envision how he wanted his teams to be.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Hers a fun game, lets translate jimmy quotes to garret-speak....

Jj:"I was going to talk to Buddy, but he got his fat butt out of there"...= JG:" we handle post game discussions well. We have taught post game responses well. We do calisthenics well.

JJ:"You have asthma, go to the asthma field" = JG:"you have to respond well to adversity in the National Football League in 3 physiological phase, neurological, pulmonary and respiratory."

Jimma: "He better git in gear. A lot of players need jobs."
Jason: "He just get emotional when he half a bad day. He's intelligent, a team leader and we continue to encouage him with notes in his lunch box."

cowboys1981

Reaction score
I was looking back at some old sports magazines and thought this was very interesting. Dallas article from the Sporting News, May 4th 1992. "The Cowboys have not yet started negotiating the contracts of nine veteran starters - Irvin, Novacek, Stepnoski, Tolbert, Jeffcoat, Norton, Vinson Smith, Ray Horton and James Washington. Coach Jimmy Johnson warns that those players had better get their contracts signed before training camp or else. Johnson went on to say " If they're not in camp, their role will be diminished. Bottom line, final, period. I will not disrupt a football team because of a player not working in the off season and not being under contract. Our team will function and win without that individual. I'm very adamant about that."

True, but he also didn't treat the Emmitt hold out the same way.

It would be nice to have no salary cap like back in the day. Screw you NFL!!!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I have noticed that Garrett is trying to emulate Johnson's coaching style.
It would make sense since he played for him and got first hand observation of his success.

Both coaches were/are not known for being great X and O guys.
Both relied on assembling top notch talent and then execution of basic offenses.

They did not out scheme the other team.
Jason however lacks 2 things Johnson had :

1. Johnson demand/commanded respect from his teams, they feared him.
I don't think we can say the same for Garrett.
2. Johnson had the H. Walker trade that netted him a boatload of top draft picks,
so he could secure that top notch talent.

Both Coaches did/do have an eye for talent.

One other difference is that Johnson would gamble.
I remember fake field goals and punts.

Has Garrett ever tried that in his tenure ?
Can we trade romo for a 1st round pick?
Prediction: the old men wil be out with their pitchforks. And how predictable
:)

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Johnson put together a team that won three superbowls in four years garrett has won one playoff game in five years so there is no comparison

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score
Well in five years Jimmy built a Superbowl championship team and actually won two himself while building a team that even Barry Switzer could win a Superbowl with. Garrett in five years is the epitome of mediocrity. There is no comparison between the two except maybe they were both born in the USA.

I should add that Jimmy started with a 1 - 15 team while Garrett took over a playoff caliber team.

You stand corrected. Both their first names begin with "J"

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback, just for the record, I said Garrett was TRYING to emulate Johnson.
He obviously has fallen way short.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
is this a legit thread with legit responses? only thing I can come up with is both their first names start with J

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I have noticed that Garrett is trying to emulate Johnson's coaching style.
It would make sense since he played for him and got first hand observation of his success.

Both coaches were/are not known for being great X and O guys.
Both relied on assembling top notch talent and then execution of basic offenses.

They did not out scheme the other team.
Jason however lacks 2 things Johnson had :

1. Johnson demand/commanded respect from his teams, they feared him.
I don't think we can say the same for Garrett.
2. Johnson had the H. Walker trade that netted him a boatload of top draft picks,
so he could secure that top notch talent.

Both Coaches did/do have an eye for talent.

One other difference is that Johnson would gamble.
I remember fake field goals and punts.

Has Garrett ever tried that in his tenure ?

This is pretty good. I agree with parts and other parts I don't.

Bottom line:

jimmy performed as coach, his team performed

Jason, without Romo would be in deep doodoo. Jason doesn't perform as coach and as much as he would like his team to execute line jimmy a teams. They don't. They won't. They can't.

The closest we came to Jason team playing like Jimmy's team was last year. Offense anyway.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Hers a fun game, lets translate jimmy quotes to garret-speak....

Jj:"I was going to talk to Buddy, but he got his fat butt out of there"...= JG:" we handle post game discussions well. We have taught post game responses well. We do calisthenics well.

JIMMA: 'We half a system in place. He produces, we pay. Period. Next question."

JASON: It's a process off work -- learning and growing -- feeling comfortable with the play calling and staying on his good psyche and gift him space. Baby steps."