News: Jason Hatcher: Ben Bass ‘is going to be the reason I’m playing on a different team next year’

ilykdrama

Reaction score
http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...m-playing-on-a-different-team-next-year.html/

Pretty nice, but weird compliment from a vet. Like what I'm hearing.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
This sounds like a vet who has been around and accepts the reality of how the NFL works. While Bass may not be as good as Hatcher, he's serviceable enough to take Hatcher's place at probably 1/3 or 1/4 of the price.

Section446

Reaction score
I really hope that Hatcher sticks around, I feel like he's going to really shine in the new scheme.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'm actually thinking Dallas won't have a real problem being able to keep Hatcher around. i really like him but I don't see him being a guy whose going to really be able to command any kind of big money anywhere so I can see Dallas being able to keep him at a very servicable contract.

CoCo

Reaction score
Hatcher isn't really a guy to take too seriously in front of the mic.

1) There's no real leaders on this team.
2) Tyrone Crawford will end up in the Hall of Fame.
3) I don't give a crap where I'm playing next year.

Is context important on each of these? Sure. But others are wise enough to speak in a less controversial manner. Hatcher is a good example why you have to be discriminating about which player/ex-player you listen to.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Yea, Hatch is a bit of a scatter brain when you put a mic in front of his face. He's admitted that he doesn't like doing interviews. Just take the comment for what it was intended to be, a compliment of a teammate, and move on. Nothing to see here.

CoCo

Reaction score
I'm actually thinking Dallas won't have a real problem being able to keep Hatcher around. i really like him but I don't see him being a guy whose going to really be able to command any kind of big money anywhere so I can see Dallas being able to keep him at a very servicable contract.

You may be correct. This last offseason was a weird market for some. Some guys are getting caught in the crosshairs of that. Everyone would love to have quality depth. But we'll have enough front-line guys that need to be taken care of. Hatcher is not a Canty or Bowen situation. They were both considerably younger than Hatcher when they hit the market..

CoCo

Reaction score
He certainly has proven nothing at this point but the coaching staff is probably very thankful for this college backup who seems to have found a good situation for himself. We look to be holding our own in the drafts early rounds these days (2010,11,12) but to overcome some of our contract boo-boos we're going to need to find some diamonds in the rough.

Section446

Reaction score
Yea, Hatch is a bit of a scatter brain when you put a mic in front of his face. He's admitted that he doesn't like doing interviews. Just take the comment for what it was intended to be, a compliment of a teammate, and move on. Nothing to see here.

Did you hear his interview with Gordon Keith on the Ticket? It was pretty bad...

Zordon

Reaction score
Hatcher isn't really a guy to take too seriously in front of the mic.

1) There's no real leaders on this team.
2) Tyrone Crawford will end up in the Hall of Fame.
3) I don't give a crap where I'm playing next year.

Is context important on each of these? Sure. But others are wise enough to speak in a less controversial manner. Hatcher is a good example why you have to be discriminating about which player/ex-player you listen to.

Would you prefer cookie cutter answers from Ware? Hatcher speaks from the gut. Not sure why you wouldn't appreciate that.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
You would be surprised, remember Chris Canty and Stephen Bowen?

True but Hatcher just turned 31, while Canty and Bowen were in their mid 20s, I believe. Can't see Hatcher getting a long-term, lucrative contract from any team...

CoCo

Reaction score
Would you prefer cookie cutter answers from Ware? Hatcher speaks from the gut. Not sure why you wouldn't appreciate that.

Because it tends to be way off-base. I know you actually believe the "no leaders" bit from the Dez thread. I don't. Do you also believe that Crawford is showing signs of being a Hall of Fame player?

Zordon

Reaction score
Because it tends to be way off-base. I know you actually believe the "no leaders" bit from the Dez thread. I don't. Do you also believe that Crawford is showing signs of being a Hall of Fame player?

When did Crawford say the Hall of Fame comment? Was it possibly tongue in cheek?

The no leaders comment was 100% truth. You don't believe it because you don't want to believe it. 2010 doesn't happen with real leaders in the locker room.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
You would be surprised, remember Chris Canty and Stephen Bowen?

Canty was 26 and Bowen was 27 when they hit free agency. Hatcher will be 32. Big big difference there in terms of who is interested and at what cost.

CoCo

Reaction score
When did Crawford say the Hall of Fame comment? Was it possibly tongue in cheek?

The no leaders comment was 100% truth. You don't believe it because you don't want to believe it. 2010 doesn't happen with real leaders in the locker room.

It was Hatcher who called Crawford a future Hall of Famer after he suffered his recent achilles injury. So no, it wasn't tongue in cheek.

Were there real leaders in the 2007 locker room when we collapsed at 6-10 in Switzers final year? BTW - Aikman, Irvin, Emmitt & Woody were all there. It's not quite as simple as you want it to be IMO.

My point was that you really have to take what Hatcher says with a grain of salt. Choose to believe whatever you wish. Your opinion might be that the "no leaders comment was 100% truth." But that doesn't make it so anymore than my opinion disproves it. What does appear abundantly clear is that Hatcher himself is no leader of this team because if he were he wouldn't proclaim to the world that he doesn't give a crap where he plays next year.

BTW - I still really like Hatcher as a player. And I sympathize with him having to do interviews when he doesn't feel comfortable doing so.