News: Jason Hatcher: Ben Bass ‘is going to be the reason I’m playing on a different team next year’

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I'm actually thinking Dallas won't have a real problem being able to keep Hatcher around. i really like him but I don't see him being a guy whose going to really be able to command any kind of big money anywhere so I can see Dallas being able to keep him at a very servicable contract.

He will be a 32 year old DT.........he lives in or around Dallas, and can save on taxes. I gotta a feeling he stays, just hope Jerry doesn't throw him one of his 7 year $35 million dollar Ratliff extensions.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Canty was 26 and Bowen was 27 when they hit free agency. Hatcher will be 32. Big big difference there in terms of who is interested and at what cost.

I still would have kept Bowen over Hatcher and Spears. Price was equal 2 for 1, I would have gone 1.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm actually thinking Dallas won't have a real problem being able to keep Hatcher around. i really like him but I don't see him being a guy whose going to really be able to command any kind of big money anywhere so I can see Dallas being able to keep him at a very servicable contract.

Spoken for truth.

Section446

Reaction score
I still would have kept Bowen over Hatcher and Spears. Price was equal 2 for 1, I would have gone 1.

I think that Bowen was a better fit in the 3-4, but I'm glad we kept Hatcher around now that we're making the switch to the 4-3.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...m-playing-on-a-different-team-next-year.html/

Pretty nice, but weird compliment from a vet. Like what I'm hearing.

Sounds like a veteran who knows he's a journeyman. Oh, Jerra, why do we let these guys stick around so long? Any other team, the Hatchers and Brookings of the world would be looking for work in Canada.

Reaction score
Hatcher is more than just another journeyman. The guy is an above average starting linemen, and easily this team's best interior DL right now, and that includes Ratliff.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Hatcher has never played at the level of Ratliff IMO.

I just see Hatcher as a steady, solid player who won't "take over" a game like DeMarcus Ware can.

Hatcher has been our most productive DL'man for the past couple years now.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Hatch is just in the long line of recent DL guys we have found later in the draft that noone seems to respect....when healthy crawford will probably fit this description also. This ability to find guys later in the draft to contribute to the DL has to be leveraged by this team and hopefully they will continue what they have been doing instead of listening to the draft floyd crowd.

Speak ur mind Hatch, its refreshing

Carl23

Reaction score
Loved everything he said. Was humble enough to compliment another player and to know, like someone else said, that he is a journeyman. What I loved the most was the " I’ll play out there in the parking lot. I love playing football" part...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
You would be surprised, remember Chris Canty and Stephen Bowen?
Canty was 26 when he signed with the Giants and Bowen was 27 when he signed with the Commanders.

Hatcher will be 32 at the start of the 2014 season. No one is signing him to a big contract.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Hatcher has been our most productive DL'man for the past couple years now.
Heaven help us if Hatcher has been our most productive DL'man for the past couple years.
Our standards and our talent levels have fallen so far that we regard journeymen like Hatcher and Ratliff as "good" players. Anywhere else (Patriorts, Giants, etc.) they'd be 2nd or 3rd team

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
He will be a 32 year old DT.........he lives in or around Dallas, and can save on taxes. I gotta a feeling he stays, just hope Jerry doesn't throw him one of his 7 year $35 million dollar Ratliff extensions.

Right. The fact that he'll be 32 is a big reason why I dont think we've got another Canty or Bowen situation to worry about there. He's 5 or 6 years older than those guys were and that's a huge difference, as we all know, in the NFL.

I have a feeling they will be able to keep him for a fair deal.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right. The fact that he'll be 32 is a big reason why I dont think we've got another Canty or Bowen situation to worry about there. He's 5 or 6 years older than those guys were and that's a huge difference, as we all know, in the NFL.

I have a feeling they will be able to keep him for a fair deal.

Unless they no longer want him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Well, yeah he lives in Dallas. He plays for Dallas. The state income tax thing is far less a big deal than you make it out to be -- he ends up paying state income tax on most away games already.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Get a grip, mens. every year we think the Ratliffs and Hatchers of this world are serviceable, even good players, only to see runners and receivers run over these aging players. On one hand, there is something good and touching about how Jerra protects the aged and infirm on his team. On the other hand I am constantly disappointed how our "good" players are manhandled by other teams with younger, faster and cheaper players.
If only Jimma were here, he'd find some gems among the huddled masses he brought in ever year. When he found "players" he'd remind them daily how everyone (save the triplets) was expendable. He ruled by fear and the players responded by going full speed every play. Injured? Take a hike! Lazy? You're outta here! Subplay? We can find a younger chaper guy!
Sigh.
Now if a guy is lazy or minimally skilled, slow or chronically injured, Jason and Jerra trip over each other to tell us how loyal and intelligent and hard-working they are.
Holla