Jason Watkins is off my list..

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Jason Watkins only had 18 reps on the bench. Heck, Travis Beckum, a tight end/receiver hybrid, had 28. Watkins is weeeeeeaaaak.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
yep, i agree, now before we jump off the bandwagon, we need to double check and be sure he didnt pull a muscle or something dont you think.

then if he didnt and thats all he could bench press then yes move on to another player

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
meanwhile South Carolina OT Jamon Meredith, a guy we have a great shot to draft in the 2nd, benched 225, 31 times

he's only 289lbs., but the dude is strong

edit: listed at 304lbs. now

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2646947 said:
Jason Watkins only had 18 reps on the bench. Heck, Travis Beckum, a tight end/receiver hybrid, had 28. Watkins is weeeeeeaaaak.

Here we go, you know the Combine is here now.

So and so only ran this and this player only jumped that high and he only did this many reps. Erase you board, forget what this player did during the season.:rolleyes:

There is a reason teams that stick to their true boards do better in the draft.

You could create a 20 page thread with players who fans think should of been erased off the face of the earth based on Combine results that ended up having great careers and vice versa.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2647000 said:
Here we go, you know the Combine is here now.

So and so only ran this and this player only jumped that high and he only did this many reps. Erase you board, forget what this player did during the season.:rolleyes:

There is a reason teams that stick to their true boards do better in the draft.

You could create a 20 page thread with players who fans think should of been erased off the face of the earth based on Combine results that ended up having great careers and vice versa.
Yep, you could make an argument that he has the most room to improve, since strength is the most easily trainable quality of all these drills.

It's possible he's just weak, but more likely is that he didn't lift very hard in school. That's only a problem if you think it's a sign of a poor work ethic that won't improve.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I just hope we don't draft anymore Doug Free's or James Marten's

talented, but really weak players

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
His reports say that he needs to get stronger. How long are his arms? The longer his arms are, the harder the drill can be. Meredith probably helped himself today.

I still like him. I hope he falls to round 4.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
41gy#;2647067 said:
His reports say that he needs to get stronger. How long are his arms? The longer his arms are, the harder the drill can be. Meredith probably helped himself today.

I still like him. I hope he falls to round 4.

I hope not too much, he's slated to go at around our pick in the 2nd

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2647074 said:
he reminds me of Flozell (has the strength to play RT), but more athletic

I just looked at your link, and Troy Kropog did 21. That is the main guy Watkins is competing with. So, 18 isn't all that bad, especially if he has long arms. He can improve his strength.

Why is Duke Robinson not lifting? He skipped the Senior Bowl, too. Unless he's hurt, it makes him look bad, imo.

Edit:

Micheal Oher did 21 and has 33 3/4 inch arms.

Jason Watkins did 18 and has 33 1/4 inch arms.

Watkins needs to get stronger, but he isn't Doug Free, imo. He's played against the best competition in the SEC. I don't think this is a real big deal.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
41gy#;2647079 said:
I just looked at your link, and Troy Kropog did 21. That is the main guy Watkins is competing with. So, 18 isn't all that bad, especially if he has long arms. He can improve his strength.

Why is Duke Robinson not lifting? He skipped the Senior Bowl, too. Unless he's hurt, it makes him look bad, imo.

Edit:

Micheal Oher did 21 and has 33 3/4 inch arms.

Jason Watkins did 18 and has 33 1/4 inch arms.

Watkins needs to get stronger, but he isn't Doug Free, imo. He's played against the best competition in the SEC. I don't think this is a real big deal.

I don't think he's Doug Free either, that man is near 330, and is weak as hell

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
yeah duke robinson was hurt,

also you or at least some of you know how i like herman johnson
Johnson, Herman G LSU 6072 364 21

herman only lifted 21, so in some regards what a guy said, you have to really look at and how the player plays on the field, but i do want a strong player too, not a weak player

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2647108 said:
yeah duke robinson was hurt,

also you or at least some of you know how i like herman johnson
Johnson, Herman G LSU 6072 364 21

herman only lifted 21, so in some regards what a guy said, you have to really look at and how the player plays on the field, but i do want a strong player too, not a weak player

It has nothing to do with strong or weak....it has to do with arm length.

Player A has long arms. Player B has short arms. Player A is stronger, yet Player B is able to lift 225 lbs more times. Why? Because he has less distance to lift everytime. Remember, not only are you pushing up 225 lbs, but you are also fighting against gravity. Player A, while stronger, has a farther distance to raise the bar and thus has to deal with more gravitational friction per rep.

It is also the same principle as to why short, quick WRs are better in the slot, than tall, quick WRs. Taller WRs are usually long striders, which is great for the vertical passing game, slants, and crossing routes. Shorter WRs are have small, choppy steps, and are thus able to get to top speed faster...making it ideal for them to be in the slot.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
by the way, USC kicker David Buehler did 25 reps today. or 7 more than Jason Watkins.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2647141 said:
by the way, USC kicker David Buehler did 25 reps today. or 7 more than Jason Watkins.

You would have to draft him just for when you call roll every day.

Silverstar

Reaction score
One guy I like even more now is C/G Eric Wood. He got 30 reps today and has good size at 6-4 310. Played well at the Senior Bowl and has a nasty type of demeanor. Set the Lousville record by starting 49 straight games. Can probably play guard in a pinch and would be a solid backup to Gurode. Projected to go somewhere in the 3rd round right now.

Analysis -

Positives: Taller than most centers, but not too upright in pass protection and can still cut block. Works hard on every play, and goes through the whistle. Gets off the ball quickly and gets into the numbers of his man. Can drive back smaller tackles and sustain. Leader of the line and makes the calls. Permanent team captain in 2008. Solid anchor, using his arms and feet to keep tackles on the line. Will pancake smaller tackles when he gets the inside shoulder. Uses his hands and feet to position blockers, creating holes inside. Picks up late blitzers up the middle. Reliable snap to the quarterback.

Negatives: Not as nimble as some teams may want their pivot man. Can adequately combo to the middle linebacker and get in front of screens at the college level, but may have issues handling NFL speed in the open field. Only adequate in getting his pads low to drive block, and could improve there.