Jason Witten - now ranked 4th among TEs this season

Wood

Reaction score
I got to admit I was wrong. I do however think that Jarwin on certain routes would be better served. That said when i need a touchdown or a first down its good to have the old vet

I might be in minority here but I would clean house with this position in off-season. Maybe keep Schulz because his blocking is improving but I am using 1st rounder on TE. Thank Witten and retire his number. Thank Jarwin and show him the door.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The tight end position is not an everydown position. Especially on passing plays.

Witten is the better blocker and short yardage receiver

Jarwin is a better deep threat on 3rd and 10+ yard receiver.

But Tavon Austin and Tony Pollard are better skilled players who can make big plays against top defenses and defenders so you run more dual slot wrs and dual rb formations and scale back on the everydown te passing formations and limit how involved these tes are on 3rd down and in the playoffs.

These tes get shut down against good teams so its not a question of using either of them its a question of using NEITHER OF THEM AT TIMES AND USING ZERO OF THESE SCRUB TES.

YOURE NOT GONNA ENTER A QUARTER HORSE IN THE KENTUCKY DERBY? WHY WOULD YOU USE A SHORT BALLER CHECKDOWN TE ON 3RD AND 15 OR IN THE 2 MINUTE OFFENSE. BLOCKING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING A TOP WR. LOL. GRONK IS RUNNING DOWN THE FIELD DRAWING DOUBLE AND TRIPLE COVERAGE FROM TOP DEFENDERS AND OUR TES ARE JUST DRAWING BLANKETED COVERAGE AND CONTAINMENT AND YALL ACTING AS IF THEY ARENT RUNNING ROUTES ON 3RD DOWN BUT THEY ARE. THEY JUST DONT CONVERT AGAINST GOOD TEAMS. And cant score against good teams at all.

Were not trying to target our wide receivers in the red zone we just dont have a te on the field who can go up and catch a ball in the air. Quit acting as if #82 has the skillsets of ertz or Gronk or kittle who can score on top defenders and defenses and have deep ball and red zone skills.

Yall are making up excuses why the tes arent required to score but should play every passing Snap. That defies Winning Logic. Yall need to get a job as the coach for the Dallas Cowboys . Lets load up the passing formations with non scorers when its every receivers main job is to score. Blocking is secondary to scoring. Yards and receptions are secondary to scoring.Tes are supposed to be gronks and hernandez w 15 tds per year. Not wittens and Escobars w 5 tds against scrubs and excuses.

So, what does the all caps mean? I mean, I'm sure it's to signify yelling or raising your voice but in the written language, does that translate? I only ask because I don't think I can read any faster if you are yelling it out, in your head as you type.....

You got a problem but its your problem so good luck with it.

Dre11

Reaction score
So when Jarwin is in we pass and when he is out we run? I'm sure defense would love that tip. Also Garrett getting in the way on the 3 loses but was not in the way in the wins? Laughable, So you have your scape goat when Dallas loses but a win and it was all Moore? Grow up

Future is a straight nut, he have no clue what he's talking about...lol

Dre11

Reaction score
What are you confused about? I realize those are the percentages but there no correlation to what you seem to be suggesting, based on those numbers. To be frank, what I asked was the percentage of snaps Jarwin is getting, in comparison. Not, what percentage Witten was seeing. I clearly said, I think it would be idea to have a 65/35 - 60/40 split.

There is nothing at all to suggest that Playing Jarwin more would change the outcomes of any of those games. The problems are not that we don't have people open. The problems are that we are either turning the ball over, not going to the open man, hurting ourselves with penalties or just plain forgetting that we have to play defense as well. To be honest, I don't think a downfield threat at TE would really be used much. We already have three WRs that can go deep better then any TE we have on the team so I actually believe that a guy who can move the chains and control the short area is more beneficial in our Offense. Now if you ran a Two TE Offense, I could see that being more of a need but we don't do that. We use WRs to go deep.

And no, not any TE can do what Witten can do. Jarwin can't do it.

Lol...the dude is clueless

Dre11

Reaction score
In some ways, though, that makes the accomplishment more difficult. If you are the main receiving threat, then teams are going to try to take you out of the game.

Yards for a TE aren't all that important, is he making plays when needed and targeted. Witten is doing that

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
increased? we are talking about 5 plays a game, knowing that total number of plays is different in each game...how many plays did Jarwin get to play each game, what did he produce as a result? ...but here we go again...when we lose its JG. when we win its Moore. its never JG...and I think that's extreme. in the Jets game I can understand...we were missing two starting tackles and you have to protect the QB...he was still getting pummeled...we were missing cobb and cooper, two of the three top WRs on the team. we still scored 22, good enough to win...defense had a melt down.

with that said, as a poster said...Jarwin has had 3 plays of 20 yard plus...well witten has had 2....and witten is hell of a lot better blocker. perhaps Jarwin at this point is a gadget, limited capability TE...we all want Celek and Kelce but Jarwin is not in the same zip code as those guys and we can't wish/imagine him to be based on three plays
Why would we want Celek, he isn't even in Wittens zip code lol

DFWJC

Reaction score
I’ve always liked Witten
But this is great thread to show how preposterously idiotic some stats are.

NO WAY he us remotely close the 4th best TE this year.
It does tell you that we've played better with him in the game so far.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te/2019

On a DYAR basis, Jason Witten is ranked as the #4 TE so far this season.

Long story short, don't doubt the all-time greats. If he keeps this up, he easily has another season or two to go.

Tight ends are ranked according to DYAR, or Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. This gives the value of the performance on plays where this TE caught the ball, compared to a replacement-level TE in the same game situations and then translated into yardage. DYAR (and its cousin, YAR, which isn't adjusted based on opponent) is further explained here.

Low yards/game compared to most of his career, but very efficient production. Highest catch% 84 leading to highest yards/tgt 8.5.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WittJa00.htm

The offense is really some crazy yards/tgt. Cooper has 12.4. Higher than any I remember seeing for the Cowboys for anyone with significant targets.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not to bash Wit, I love the guy and think he's an all time great Cowboy who is a sure fire lock for the HOF. And I'm not saying anything about playing Jarwin over him or anything like that, but I'm curious, he's 4th in what exactly? IMHO, he's been ok, not great and maybe just barely considered good compared to some other TE's around the league this year.

According to NFL stats he's:

8th in receptions- 26 (#1 has 46)
10th in total yds- 263 (#1 has 541)
12th yds/gm- 37.6 (#1 has 85.7)
T7 for TD's- 2 (#1- 2 guys with 4)
20th for longest rec- 33yds (#1- 75yds)
T24th for 20+yds rec- 2 (#1 has 10)
11 TE's have a fumble (he's 1)

And FYI, in my fantasy league he's the 11th ranked TE with 53.53 pts. (#1 has 108.07pts)

Hey don't get me wrong those numbers certainly aren't bad for a guy his age especially after missing an entire year.

Don't attack me cause you love Witten and want to act like I don't. I'm just pointing out that he may not be having as great a year as some of ya'll maybe thinking he is.
An ok/good year sure, but nothing special so far. I hope he lights it up and catches another 75 balls for 600yds with 15 TD's, but I doubt that will be the case.

Better than average starter for 4.25mil, 17th in cap hit for TEs for the year. Lots of moaning over signing him, but he's even financially a good deal, and that's not counting intangibles.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Better than average starter for 4.25mil, 17th in cap hit for TEs for the year. Lots of moaning over signing him, but he's even financially a good deal, and that's not counting intangibles.
Witten returning is a blessing on every front.

Those that are calling for youth are disregarding the fact we have an all-time great at the position.