Jason Witten

dguinta1

Reaction score
Funny thing was I was thinking to myself, the media was pointing out the fact of all the new records for TE, that Tony Gonzalez is going to achieve this season and I said to myself, our boy "Hard Hitten" Jason Witten gonna break em all. :bow:

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
BaybeeJay;2311987 said:
While I understand your point (consistency), those are some arbitrary numbers you've picked out.

They're not arbitrary numbers, they're his lowest number of catches and yards in a game (and not in the same game, either). And if that's all he got every week, he'd finish with 96 catches for 1,072 yards -- which still would be one of the best seasons ever by a tight end. (By the way, he had seven catches for 81 yards in last year's playoff game, so it's actually six straight games with at least six catches and 67 yards.)

And to answer Hoofbite's question, the only other player with at least six catches in each game this season is Wes Welker, and he has one game with 51 yards and another with 55, and he's also had a bye already. The only other player with at least five catches in each game is Reggie Bush, and he had only 7 yards in one game (and doesn't play his fifth game until tonight).

Greg Jennings and Reggie Wayne are the only other players with at least 67 yards each week, but Jennings has one game with four catches and another with five, and Wayne has one game with three and another with five (plus a bye week). Lee Evans has at least 65 yards each week, but the MOST catches he has had in any game is four.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
percyhoward;2312548 said:
Witten's on a pace to break the all-time record for TE receptions in a season, in about the 3rd quarter of the 15th game.

And yards -- in the first quarter of the same game.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
dguinta1;2312648 said:
Funny thing was I was thinking to myself, the media was pointing out the fact of all the new records for TE, that Tony Gonzalez is going to achieve this season and I said to myself, our boy "Hard Hitten" Jason Witten gonna break em all.

Witten is 29 catches and 164 yards ahead of what Gonzalez had at this point in his career, so he's well on his way to those records. Of course, he might need to keep it up for eight or 10 more seasons, if Gonzalez plays a few more years.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2312714 said:
And yards -- in the first quarter of the same game.
Would be a nice way to close out the Cowboys' regular season era in Texas Stadium.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
As great as he is on the field, he seems just as impressive off the field.

The consummate professional.

What a great thing it is that he's a Dallas Cowboy.