Jaxson Smith Njigba wants to be a Cowboy

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
JJ had a nasty Combine. 4.43 40, but also a 10' 6" broad and 37" vert. That's outstanding speed and explosion.

If JSN tests like that, then I'll re-evaluate. But in that gif I posted, he was ran down by Joey Porter Jr. from a ways out, and Porter's probably a 4.4 guy. Guess we will get the underwear Olympics in 2 weeks to put numbers to all this.

cnuball21

Reaction score
JJ had a nasty Combine. 4.43 40, but also a 10' 6" broad and 37" vert. That's outstanding speed and explosion.

If JSN tests like that, then I'll re-evaluate. But in that gif I posted, he was ran down by Joey Porter Jr. from a ways out, and Porter's probably a 4.4 guy. Guess we will get the underwear Olympics in 2 weeks to put numbers to all this.
this is where I’m at…I honestly would be shocked if h breaks 4.5.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Good player but will he be there at our pick. Draft nicks were saying he was Ohio States best receiver over Olave last season.
Most likely there, imo. Because of injury. If he's not, that's' good news, because there'll be a higher chance for someone like Flowers to be there.
IMO, you can't take Bijan Robinson in the first round. Because this draft has so many RBs, and TEs, and other positions are a little light. So I'd go get players at positions you really need early on in rounds 1,2, then get your TE (if you take one, and I'd recommend taking one this draft) and RB after the 3rd or 4th.

I get it. Robinson is a good back. I just kind of hope he's off the board so it makes the decision easy.

Round 1 should be a WR, CB or DT.
Several big boards have jaxson smith available.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
By the way, I definitely like the skills Jaxson Smith has more than Rashee Rice. Rice is good. He just plays a little stiff.

I still think you can justify taking Rice there in round one though.

cnuball21

Reaction score
what did you think about Burks last year?
Incredibly overrated. Had him as more of a 2nd rounder.

I had London as WR1 and I believe Olave as WR2. Both looked like studs as rookies but I also though Wilson was more of a fringe 1st rounder so was way off on him…

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Most likely there, imo. If he's not, that's' good news, because there'll be a higher chance for someone like Flowers to be there.
IMO, you can't take Bijan Robinson in the first round. Because this draft has so many RBs, and TEs, and other positions are a little light. So I'd go get players at positions you really need early on in rounds 1,2, then get your TE (if you take one, and I'd recommend taking one this draft) and RB after the 3rd or 4th.

I get it. Robinson is a good back. I just kind of hope he's off the board so it makes the decision easy.

Round 1 should be a WR, CB or DT.
Robinson is top 5 talent and could be a generational running back. Would be the steal of the draft if he at 26. Drafting is about accumulating talent not picking for need. That is how we ended up with Bossman and company.

WhizKid

Reaction score
Keenan Allen wins outside. My only problem with JSN is Lamb plays slot like 40%ish of the time and kills it.

Almost all of JSNs tape is slot. For a 1st round WR it’s just tough for me to have a big question mark of him being able to win on the outside.

Dude is a great route runner and knows how to finish though. I’m just not certain he’s a great fit for us considering Lamb runs from the slot at a high clip in our 3WR sets.

If Lamb stayed outside more JSN would be a no brainer for me.
Keenan Allen is a slot WR. I think this year, his time in the slot was down a bit, but he still played more time in the slot. He is a slot WR.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Keenan Allen is a slot WR. I think this year, his time in the slot was down a bit, but he still played more time in the slot. He is a slot WR.
2021 he played out of the slot about 50% of the time, so I think slot WR is an exaggeration. I’d consider slot WRs dudes that do it almost 100% of the time. We do the same thing with Lamb and I don’t consider him a slot WR.

A lot of teams out their best WR in the slot to creat mismatches but they still play outside at a good clip.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
JSN is going to have to have a rally good combine to get into round 1. And even then it will take some projection as to whether or not he can function on the outside. I don’t know that he’s going to be a guy for this team. But he’s going to destroy people in the slot. Fearless and works the middle of the field like a champ. Strong hands. He’s not a speedster but he’s hell to bring down because of how thick his legs are.

WhizKid

Reaction score
2021 he played out of the slot about 50% of the time, so I think slot WR is an exaggeration. I’d consider slot WRs dudes that do it almost 100% of the time. We do the same thing with Lamb and I don’t consider him a slot WR.

A lot of teams out their best WR in the slot to creat mismatches but they still play outside at a good clip.
Maybe a bit of exaggeration (he has played above 50% in the slot the last couple of years, albeit 3-5% above), but Allen is one of the best WR in the slot when he is there. I think it is fair calling him an outside WR, especially over the last couple of years, is equally an exaggeration. In this offense, he would play the majority of his time in the slot, and as you say, he does have that ability to play outside, if Ceedee were to move inside.

I think the problem with Allen is going to be, are the soft tissue injuries going to continue being a problem into 2023?

I like JSN, although, I am admittedly a bit higher than most. I think having that player who can be elite on the outside (Amari or Ceedee) and someone who can kill it in the slot (Ceedee or Beasley) goes a LOOONNNNGGG way to help Dak thrive, and therefore the team. I understand the reservations for the slot guys, but can't help but notice it's a huge boost to the offense. I like JSN's profile, despite what may be a lack of top end speed, the route running is great, pretty explosive off the line, good hands and can RAC. All that being said, I do 90% of the time pass on WR in the first with my mocks and aim for the trenches.

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score

“Just growing up right there in Rockwall, Texas, just close and all my family. Being a Cowboy, it would definitely be a blessing and an honor. I know that star on that helmet means something. Growing up I always loved watching them play. It was hard sometimes, I’ve been there with the fans. Ups and downs. It would be a blessing, wherever I go, but definitely special if I was a Cowboy,” Smith-Njigba said.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I’ve watched very little of him but he looks slow and not much of a separation guy which Dak has to have for obvious reasons.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I’ve watched very little of him but he looks slow and not much of a separation guy which Dak has to have for obvious reasons.
Yeah, let's keep on trying to squeeze footballs into slow receivers who are well covered...and blame the QB if he doesn't create magic.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

“Just growing up right there in Rockwall, Texas, just close and all my family. Being a Cowboy, it would definitely be a blessing and an honor. I know that star on that helmet means something. Growing up I always loved watching them play. It was hard sometimes, I’ve been there with the fans. Ups and downs. It would be a blessing, wherever I go, but definitely special if I was a Cowboy,” Smith-Njigba said.

Njigba is a good player. Too bad he's not fast enough. We need a receiver who can stretch the field, create separation and get open often.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yeah, let's keep on trying to squeeze footballs into slow receivers who are well covered...and blame the QB if he doesn't create magic.
We’ve had every kind of receiver imaginable.

Dak is a see guy open and then throw kind of QB.