Jaylon Ferguson pro day

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He has no clue how to execute that drill and he appears to be focused on not losing his footing.

Not saying he would have s good time with training but it could be much better.

That’s really an indictment on his agent, training staff, and/or himself. How do you go to your own Pro Day and not know how to run a standard drill?

That said, I wouldn’t take him off your board based on one drill. I think the poor time only confirmed what showed on film so teams aren’t going to be surprised.

Guys like Greg Ellis showed you can have some level of success without being a top notch athlete.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
ok..THIS is why you can't simply trust the workouts. GO TO THE GAME TAPE. How does the kid handle blockers and short area quickness. That's what really matters. The cone drill isn't the end all be all. That said, he lost himself some money. Someone will get an absolute steal in round 2 or 3 and be excited for the next 5-10 years. Look at Byron Jones' workout at the combine. He won the combine lol...broke combine records. THEN go to his college tape and now pro tape. Does he look like a pro bowler? You decide. It goes both ways guys. Look at the entire body of work, not just 1 aspect.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It really did look like that was his first day running that 3 cone drill.
yup, and I don't care 1 bit. Put the tape on. Im not high on him like some, but I do realize he does have the skillset needed and the game tape proves it. I'm willing to give him a mulligan for his poor workout. If he has a high motor, that trumps everything else. High effort players can mask many flaws in their game.

Sandyf

Reaction score
The only question I have is what does Willie McClay think of him? If McClay says the guy is a player then I love those numbers. For many teams those numbers just dropped him at least a whole round if not two rounds. Seems like he definitely would be available at 58 now and heck maybe even at 90. His tape is good though and very productive in college much like Ellis was. Just 36 days before we really find out.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I called this in another thread.

Ferguson reminds me of Greg Ellis. Check Ellis’ year metrics:

Ellis
6’-4”
281 lbs
40: 4.87
10YS: 1.73
VJ: 35.5”
3C: 8.03

Ferguson
6’-4”
271 lbs
40: 4.82, 4.83
10YS: 1.69, 1.70
VJ: 32”
3C: 8.08

It should be noted that despite being infamously known as the guy the Cowboys took instead of Randy Moss, Ellis did tally 84 career sacks.
Wow. They are kind of similar.

reddyuta

Reaction score
that's inexplicable, looks like he has never run that drill before. I still will take him but maybe he will last till the 3rd rd.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
One day guys will realize these drills don't determine how bad or good you are. Just determines where you get drafted. Its how steals fall to you. Its also how guys get drafted higher than they are suppose to.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ok..THIS is why you can't simply trust the workouts. GO TO THE GAME TAPE. How does the kid handle blockers and short area quickness. That's what really matters. The cone drill isn't the end all be all. That said, he lost himself some money. Someone will get an absolute steal in round 2 or 3 and be excited for the next 5-10 years. Look at Byron Jones' workout at the combine. He won the combine lol...broke combine records. THEN go to his college tape and now pro tape. Does he look like a pro bowler? You decide. It goes both ways guys. Look at the entire body of work, not just 1 aspect.

Byron Jones made the Pro Bowl and was All Pro...

Where did you get that college game tape?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Byron Jones made the Pro Bowl and was All Pro...

Where did you get that college game tape?
where are the int's? NONE. Ferguson not looking great doesn't concern me much in these workouts. That's the point. Sadly, it will drop his draft stock and lose him some money.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He had a really good completion percentage against in college so he was locking dudes down then, just not getting a lot of picks.
and that's what this defense needs...PICKS. Love the fact he can lock guys down, but his game needs to take that next step for him to be elite.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Well, Ive heard repeatedly that the Cowboys really like him.
Probably happy he tested pooly so he coud maybe fall to 58

cnuball21

Reaction score
and that's what this defense needs...PICKS. Love the fact he can lock guys down, but his game needs to take that next step for him to be elite.

I actually feel pretty good about our secondary and ability to cover.

What will take our D to the next level is a better pass rush and DTs that actuallly impact the run.

Rayman70

Reaction score

What will take our D to the next level is a better pass rush and DTs that actuallly impact the run.
we better start getting ints then. It takes BOTH...a good rush,and the backend of the D to get turnovers. Its all about field position and takeaways in the tournament. Otherwise, your banking on guys to cover forever...if the front 4 can't get home. We need that elite guy in the secondary.

Rayman70

Reaction score

coverage aint the issue. Hands of stone is the issue with Byron. Lewis in my honest opinion, can be elite if given a chance to play more. He needs the reps. He has shown great instincts and a knack for getting to the ball. GOOD HANDS.

cnuball21

Reaction score
we better start getting ints then. It takes BOTH...a good rush,and the backend of the D to get turnovers. Its all about field position and takeaways in the tournament. Otherwise, your banking on guys to cover forever...if the front 4 can't get home. We need that elite guy in the secondary.

Is the defense causing a punt that much difference than an INT?

Picks are great, and are positive, but a CBs job is to keep the WR from catching the ball. BJ is really good at that.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Basically was an utter disaster
Showed terrible athleticism, like all time bad...

Think people in media make too much out of these numbers in spandex. Orlando Brown was the guy everybody called the worst ever at the combine last yr and had a very good rookie yr.