Jaylon Ferguson pro day

Bizwah

Reaction score
Byron Jones made the Pro Bowl and was All Pro...

Where did you get that college game tape?
This is one of my pet peeves. When most folks say they watch "tape", they mean they've watched YouTube highlights. Sometimes they mean they've watched the game footage.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is one of my pet peeves. When most folks say they watch "tape", they mean they've watched YouTube highlights. Sometimes they mean they've watched the game footage.

Yes, tape or film really means All-22.

I use "game footage" which could be either. If I review the NFL All-22 then I normally say All-22 (although there are actually 2 views with the NFL Game Pass).

Sometimes I'll reference the broadcast view to differentiate from All-22.

Occasionally I see some All-22 views on youtube for college games. I don't know where that was obtained but college players have access; therefore it's possible one of them or their buddies made the videos.

Generally you highlight videos are are the far opposite end of watching "tape" or "film".

People should try to find full games of players they want to evaluate even though that is obviously the broadcast view but it includes all plays not just highlights.

There was a site that created full game cut-ups of many players in the draft but that closed a couple of years ago.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Think people in media make too much out of these numbers in spandex. Orlando Brown was the guy everybody called the worst ever at the combine last yr and had a very good rookie yr.
There are always outliers that's very true. But it is worrying for a guy needing explosion that his numbers are so poor....

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are always outliers that's very true. But it is worrying for a guy needing explosion that his numbers are so poor....

It should definitely push him down all to a later round than he likely would have gone; although it's obvious in game footage that he is not an elite athlete.

He won with technique/power/bend and a decent short burst but his lack of speed was easy to see.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
ok..THIS is why you can't simply trust the workouts. GO TO THE GAME TAPE. How does the kid handle blockers and short area quickness. That's what really matters. The cone drill isn't the end all be all. That said, he lost himself some money. Someone will get an absolute steal in round 2 or 3 and be excited for the next 5-10 years. Look at Byron Jones' workout at the combine. He won the combine lol...broke combine records. THEN go to his college tape and now pro tape. Does he look like a pro bowler? You decide. It goes both ways guys. Look at the entire body of work, not just 1 aspect.

He got owned @ the Sr Bowl too...I'm not touching this guy until day 3....And he's probably off my board if I'm calling the shots.:rolleyes:

Rayman70

Reaction score
He got owned @ the Sr Bowl too...I'm not touching this guy until day 3....And he's probably off my board if I'm calling the shots.:rolleyes:
MAYBE IT WAS NERVES for the kid at the SB. He was the biggest loser at these combines/workouts.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Yes, tape or film really means All-22.

I use "game footage" which could be either. If I review the NFL All-22 then I normally say All-22 (although there are actually 2 views with the NFL Game Pass).

Sometimes I'll reference the broadcast view to differentiate from All-22.

Occasionally I see some All-22 views on youtube for college games. I don't know where that was obtained but college players have access; therefore it's possible one of them or their buddies made the videos.

Generally you highlight videos are are the far opposite end of watching "tape" or "film".

People should try to find full games of players they want to evaluate even though that is obviously the broadcast view but it includes all plays not just highlights.

There was a site that created full game cut-ups of many players in the draft but that closed a couple of years ago.
Agreed.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
That 3 cone looks like me trying to run it. And after seven attempts... sheesh.

If he's not prepared to run that drill, that just makes it even worse IMO.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Ferguson but man that 3 cone was shocking. IF he wasn't ready to run it shame on him but I've also heard field conditions were a joke. While I never thought he was an overly twitchy and bendy prospect, I loved the first step / length/ speed to power he showed heading into his pro day.

I went back and watched him some more, and a majority of his pass rush wins are bull rushes and hand usage.

Yall will have to help me out - has there been a few NFL edge rushers that have made a good living off a great bull rush and strong hands?

Bizwah

Reaction score
I think this will be our guy if he's there. Just a feeling.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm a big fan of Ferguson but man that 3 cone was shocking. IF he wasn't ready to run it shame on him but I've also heard field conditions were a joke. While I never thought he was an overly twitchy and bendy prospect, I loved the first step / length/ speed to power he showed heading into his pro day.

I went back and watched him some more, and a majority of his pass rush wins are bull rushes and hand usage.

Yall will have to help me out - has there been a few NFL edge rushers that have made a good living off a great bull rush and strong hands?
DLaw...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DLaw has the ability to bend the edge and has plenty of tape to prove it, not a good comp IMO.
Describe what you think scouts mean when they they say a player has good "bend".

Hint: Scouts/coaches say it about DTs also but fans only say it about outside pass rushers.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Describe what you think scouts mean when they they say a player has good "bend".

Hint: Scouts/coaches say it about DTs also but fans only say it about outside pass rushers.

To me it’s:

DTs - more about lateral, side to side agility.
DEs - just as it sounds, someone that’s able to win and apply pressure around the edge. Player that has the flexibility to bend / around an OT and not just run through them or win via inside moves.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I am not in favor of drafting him at 58 after his pro day,we dont even have a 1st rd pick this year and we cant mess up at 58.maybe he will slide to the 3rd now.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me it’s:

DTs - more about lateral, side to side agility.
DEs - just as it sounds, someone that’s able to win and apply pressure around the edge. Player that has the flexibility to bend / around an OT and not just run through them or win via inside moves.

I'm asking specifically about the term bend.

When a long time coach like Marinelli says a player can "bend", what does he mean?

When the Cowboys originally signed David Irving, Marinelli said "I don't normally like the really tall players but Irving can bend".