1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Jaylon Linebacking Hijinks

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CalPolyTechnique, May 18, 2020.

1. CalPolyTechnique

CalPolyTechnique Well-Known Member

13,872 Messages
    20,371 Likes Received
    Here's some cut-ups of Jaylon against the Bears and Bills last season. Couple of things:
    1. Jaylon doesn't play with any base; he is lifted and moved out of lanes at will because he doesn't sink his hips and hops into blocks;
    2. Jaylon does not stack and shed (look at the first gif below) at all; there is no resistance from him maintaining his gap which allows for open running lanes;
    3. His play balance is all out of whack; plays way too high and hops rather shift his weight fluidly.

[​IMG]
    Here (above), Jaylon gets moved 10-yards down the field backwards.

[​IMG]
    Jaylon here (above) just gets bowled over playing too upright.

[​IMG]
    Piling up those "tackle" totals.

[​IMG]
    Stack and shed is completely non-existent; guesses at which lane the RB will take and runs himself out the play.

[​IMG]
    This is 195 lbs Eric Weddle against 255 lbs Tyler Eifert showing how you stack and shed.

2. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Well-Known Member

2,046 Messages
    1,539 Likes Received
    Looks like a move to the weak side is a good choice. That and getting him to care again.

jwooten15, visionary, Zordon and 6 others like this.
  3. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

15,971 Messages
    19,321 Likes Received
    I'm hoping Jaylon might improve his technique with better coaching than he got in Dallas with the old regime. I guess we'll see about that.

4. JBell

JBell That's still my Quarterback

5,521 Messages
    6,255 Likes Received
    Clear-eyed poo

5. Tangle_Foot

Tangle_Foot Well-Known Member

4,047 Messages
    15,759 Likes Received
    He sure has good balance when celebrating:laugh: truth be told it doesn't matter who the focus is on in a defensive highlight I find myself now looking at Jaylon Smith, just yesterday the focus was on Xavier Woods but I found myself picking out Jaylon to see what he was doing, and there he was missing the jam on a receiver and also coming up short in his efforts to grab him. Swipe:facepalm:

I'm definitely hoping for better:(

jwooten15, DenCWBY, Ranching and 7 others like this.
  6. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard Zone Supporter

20,307 Messages
    17,040 Likes Received
    The new coaching staff is going to see this tape and know they have some work to do with Jaylon. He should be embarrassed to have put that crappy performance on tape game after game.

7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

58,039 Messages
    102,075 Likes Received
    He shouldn't be starting on any defense. He's a shell of the player he was in college.

And these idiots gave him an extension.

8. stilltheguru

stilltheguru Well-Known Member

5,474 Messages
    2,760 Likes Received
    Just 2 years ago he was one of the best linebackers. Relax the conjecture/shock posting already.

9. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus

4,735 Messages
    822 Likes Received
    He is a bad LB. He’s weak in basically ALL of the important LB skills. The amount of tackles downfield was ridiculous. He tackles 10 yards down field and jumps on piles. He just plays soft and stupid. There were times when I would just watch him for a few series in a row. The bad plays outweighed the good by a significant margin. He’s a self-promoting cheerleader who was the worst starter in the team last year.

jwooten15, DenCWBY, pitt33 and 11 others like this.
  10. Kolemmitt

Kolemmitt Well-Known Member

1,331 Messages
    2,152 Likes Received
    I'm not going to lie and say I have watched a lot of his film, so I don't know if those videos were cherry-picked or if they were indicative of his play for the whole season, but... based on what the writers I respect have said, he should not be a MLB, especially in a scheme that undervalued DTs, especially big DTs and a scheme were the DTs were primarily 1-gappers. Which was true of the Rod scheme. In that kind of scheme, you should have one of those old-school MLBs that were run-stuffers and only played part-time. Those guys could take on the OL that tried to block them, but they are also obsolete in the modern NFL - unless you are running an obsolete defense.
    I think Smith will be better this year. Better position for him, better coaching, better scheme for his talents/weaknesses, much better DTs upfront.

11. ElGatoGrande

ElGatoGrande EGG

7,888 Messages
    4,665 Likes Received
    Didn't they move Darren Woodson from college LB to safety?

DenCWBY and Fastpitch Dad like this.
  12. CowboysWillRise

CowboysWillRise Well-Known Member

10,924 Messages
    15,993 Likes Received
    And to then use social media to ask for pro bowl votes. Smh, play like crap but never stop promoting yourself.

KD, Cover 2, DenCWBY and 6 others like this.
  13. CowboysWillRise

CowboysWillRise Well-Known Member

10,924 Messages
    15,993 Likes Received
    I feel much the same, but he played pretty well in 2018. I haven't given up on him. Hopefully playing in the right position/scheme changes how we feel.

Rockdoc, Teeroy, Runwildboys and 3 others like this.
  14. fivetwos

fivetwos Well-Known Member

2,457 Messages
    2,339 Likes Received
    They already have.

Said it in another thread.....position change is one step closer to the door. He can take #24 with him.

jwooten15, JoeKing and BBGTYCOON like this.
  15. mmohican29

mmohican29 Well-Known Member

5,338 Messages
    4,165 Likes Received
    Jaylon is straight trash.

Hope I'm wrong. No bs- last season he made Ernie Sims look like Chuck Howley.

jwooten15 and RJ_MacReady like this.
  16. BBGTYCOON

BBGTYCOON Member

86 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    These deficiencies were obvious during his college days and have persisted in his short NFL stint. Prior to his head scratching contract extension I'd hoped coaching, pride or both would've yielded a better LB but it is what it is now. It's time to squeeze whatever we can get from him this year with a viable plan to move on next off season. Chances are slim to none that we'll see much improvement in his game individually, maybe some strategic deployment by our DC will keep the rest of the defense from suffering because of a woefully overrated LB with a millstone of a contract.

BIGDen likes this.
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

50,944 Messages
    47,264 Likes Received
    Jaylon still has strengths.

Positives: He can run sideline to sideline as good as anyone, he can come down hill, and he is a high level blitzer.

Negatives: He turns like a sail boat and I do not want him going backwards or finding himself in coverage.

He had a bad year but he does still have some big strengths in his game.

What upset me about him though is he looks to be one of the guys more focused on his brand than playing football. Celebrating when we were getting whooped was not a good look either.

18. BBGTYCOON

BBGTYCOON Member

86 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    :thumbup:

19. ItzKelz

ItzKelz Well-Known Member

4,970 Messages
    5,849 Likes Received
    You could easily make a thread that shows the exact opposite. Depends on your agenda. Coaching routinely put our LBs in bad position last year. Despite that Jaylon was still a probowl player and our only probowl player from last season on defense.

20. lockster

lockster Well-Known Member

1,463 Messages
    517 Likes Received
    I call him Barbie carpenter the second!

fansince68 and BIGDen like this.