Twitter: Jaylon movement

MTerrazzano

Reaction score
Should've kept Hitchens and not pay J. Smith. Another front office blunder. Enough with the coaching staff critics.....the talent on this team is vastly overrated and the LBs are a perfect example of this.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Man I’ve been eyeing it on all 22 all season. He can’t move laterally aka “ shuffle”. He’s great when flowing straight. That knee has regressed.
Don't think this is true at all. The knee is structurally sound. The nerve is the problem. Could be a couple of things: Maybe the nerve isn't 100% regenerated, maybe he's still reestablishing trust in his leg after the injury, maybe the scheme isn't playing to his strengths, maybe he's not going to be the all-pro that we hoped he would be. Maybe it is all of those things.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
In both of those clips it looks like he's getting blocked or juked because his balance is terrible. He's way too straight up and extended. What happened to that quarter squat "football position" you learn as a little kid?

Wonder if it's the knee or just sloppy fundamentals.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Watch Jaylon get super-blocked with a simple shove on Mattison's 17yd run. Credit to xwalker for the link.

Anybody who defends him after seeing that is insane. That's just sad - and a reason we are routinely getting gashed up the middle

That video shows that he can't plant and drive off that gimpy left leg. Even if he'd provided SOME resistance and held the block at the point of contact, it would have forced the RB to hesitate long enough for more defenders to tackle him around the 10

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Anybody who defends him after seeing that is insane. That's just sad - and a reason we are routinely getting gashed up the middle

That video shows that he can't plant and drive off that gimpy left leg. Even if he'd provided SOME resistance and held the block at the point of contact, it would have forced the RB to hesitate long enough for more defenders to tackle him around the 10

Yep.

Part of being an LB, especially at the MIKE is taking on blockers and disrupting running lanes. That video is Case #832 of him doing that.

This is not new.

Last edited:

Demboyz88

Reaction score
Our linebackers never attack the olineman at the line of scrimmage except for when blitzing. They simply wait for the olineman to attack them at a full steam ahead and they literally just get pushed out of the way every single time

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I’m glad people are putting these videos together because I see happening during game.

That’s absolutely embarrassing as a MLB; you just get washed out of the lane.

“But it’s our DTs fault!”

smh

It's not his knee, it's his technique. It's like he's on skates. He has no base and looks like a CB being blocked in that video. He's only 230 lbs. He shouldn't be playing MLB.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It's not his knee, it's his technique. It's like he's on skates. He has no base and looks like a CB being blocked in that video. He's only 230 lbs. He shouldn't be playing MLB.

Yeah, I’m not blaming it on his knee/foot although I do wonder if he’s developed a mental thing about his past injuries and is reluctant to put weight on it.

Either way, his technique is awful. I’ve never seen a LB jump and stretch-out tackling a ball carrier the way he does when they are basically coming straight at him.

But you’re right, I used to see Mo Claiborne willfully get taken out of plays just like Jaylon was in the video. You almost half rationalize it because it’s a DB, but for your MLB to be doing that is just.....lame.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Yeah, I’m not blaming it on his knee/foot although I do wonder if he’s developed a mental thing about his past injuries and is reluctant to put weight on it.

Either way, his technique is awful. I’ve never seen a LB jump and stretch-out tackling a ball carrier the way he does when they are basically coming straight at him.

But you’re right, I used to see Mo Claiborne willfully get taken out of plays just like Jaylon was in the video. You almost half rationalize it because it’s a DB, but for your MLB to be doing that is just.....lame.

Ro McClain would have taken that lineman on with a square hit and still have an opportunity to make a one arm tackle.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Ro McClain would have taken that lineman on with a square hit and still have an opportunity to make a one arm tackle.

Most linebackers would have played that differently than Jaylon.

Jaylon is one of those players I’m always watching on defense because:

1. He was one of my favorite college players coming out of Notre Dame; and

2. I want him to do well because I like the idea of getting steal in the 2nd round.

Unfortunately, I keep seeing these plays that are just inexcusable. Even last year when he had a nice year on paper there were issues. I just rationalized it’s and thought he’d improve with more reps and further distance from the injuries.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Most linebackers would have played that differently than Jaylon.

Jaylon is one of those players I’m always watching on defense because:

1. He was one of my favorite college players coming out of Notre Dame; and

2. I want him to do well because I like the idea of getting steal in the 2nd round.

Unfortunately, I keep seeing these plays that are just inexcusable. Even last year when he had a nice year on paper there were issues. I just rationalized it’s and thought he’d improve with more reps and further distance from the injuries.

I think Jaylon has some Lawrence Taylor in him talent wise. But he is out of position with the scheme we run and the talent we have at DT. He doesn't have that physicality to stand a G up and still make the tackle. He can be successful in this league but not in the current situation of our defense. The only thing I worry about is once these guys get paid they tend to take less risks on the field and I'm hoping that's not the case with him.

ondaedg

Reaction score

In the spirit of spreading the love around watch how long it takes for LVE to commit to the ball carrier. It's almost as if he expects play action so he's sitting back almost 5yds off the LOS.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Bob Sturm absolutely killed Jaylon (and really all the LB) in the film review for the Athletic

not only are 54 and 55 missing tackles, but they look like they don’t know what the hell they are doing either.

it was so bad, and the effort so abysmal I couldnt watch all of it. Hope this guy has some wonderful Clear Eye View shades (available at all Cowboys Pro Shops) he’s selling, cause his football career looks like ****.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Jaylon has been worse this year. Not horrible as some report. The reason our LBs suck is because our front 4 sucks. Especially at DT!

Double duty for LBs doesn’t work.

kskboys

Reaction score
I've tried hard to be excited about Jaylon, but I've just never seen what so many were praising him for.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
It's like the players are saying to themselves..........with this coaching staff.........what's the use it's the same year after year.