Jaylon Smith/Connor Williams

Verdict

Reaction score
I disagree, He has been used to many different spots and hasn't had much success.

Well, a couple of years ago he was part of what was once considered the best pair of linebackers in the NFL. Did he suddenly just get bad?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Well, a couple of years ago he was part of what was once considered the best pair of linebackers in the NFL. Did he suddenly just get bad?

We are talking about a couple of years ago in a year in which Lve was a legitimate pro-bowl player. Without Lve, Jaylon has been exposed. He is an average at best starter getting paid like a top 5 player at his position.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Either you have the instincts needed for the position or you don't. Doesn't matter how athletic you are, one false step the runner is by you on this level.
You make a lot of good points.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You make a lot of good points.

When you watch Jaylon on tape, what is your assessment of him? Am I wrong seeing a player struggle badly with average instincts? Wasn't Bruce Carter a similar player, off the charts athleticism but not an instinctive linebacker.

When I watch both Lve/Lee I see linebackers who have good read and react skills. They see the play before it happens, usually beat their blocker to a spot that leads to negative plays. Any minor fake or counter, Jaylon takes himself out of the play, this has been happening for years.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are talking about a couple of years ago in a year in which Lve was a legitimate pro-bowl player. Without Lve, Jaylon has been exposed. He is an average at best starter getting paid like a top 5 player at his position.

After reviewing games I come away exasperated trying to figure out Jaylon Smith.

I don't think his issue is physical although there is a small amount of physical limitation on specific movements.

He has enough physical ability that if Sean Lee'a brain was transplanted into Jaylon's body he would be All Pro.

I think he is too heavy. He looks 20 pounds bigger than his "good" season in 2018. I think any off-ball LB would have limited movement at his size. I seriously think he might be 260. There was a photo last season with him, Quinn and DLaw in street clothes. Jaylon looked heavier than Quinn. With whatever lingering physical limitation he has from the injury, he should be at the low end of his weight range not at the top end. LB Joe Thomas looked like a CB when next to Jaylon.

People claim he avoids contact but he seems to almost seek out blockers to engage. He seems to hesitate before making tackles but why avoid a RB but not avoid 320 pound OLinemen if his goal was avoiding contact?

His straight line speed is impressive. He almost caught OBJ from behind.

In college he didn't need great instincts because he had the movement skills of an NFL CB but in a 240 pound body. He literally played Nickel CB on some snaps in college but also played some at DE.

He has been OK at getting off blocks this season but still does not make the play even when he wins against the blocker.

This defense is completely different for LBs than the Marinelli defense. Maybe he can get better but they need another legit LB on the roster next season in case he does not improve or if LVE gets injured again. I'm in favor of BPA in the draft but I'm hopeful BPA is a DT in the 1st.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't disagree. He is a solid starter that gets dinged by fans seeing 1 bad play a game.

Cmon buddy............Williams is a liability. At the end of the day on a good line he will always be the weakest link. He is a great backup, but a sub standard starter. Even surrounded by 4 pro bowl types he couldnt handle his lunch.

I believe this is his 3rd season so next year will be his last. I cant imagine McGovern being worse than Williams.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
After reviewing games I come away exasperated trying to figure out Jaylon Smith.

I don't think his issue is physical although there is a small amount of physical limitation on specific movements.

He has enough physical ability that if Sean Lee'a brain was transplanted into Jaylon's body he would be All Pro.

I think he is too heavy. He looks 20 pounds bigger than his "good" season in 2018. I think any off-ball LB would have limited movement at his size. I seriously think he might be 260. There was a photo last season with him, Quinn and DLaw in street clothes. Jaylon looked heavier than Quinn. With whatever lingering physical limitation he has from the injury, he should be at the low end of his weight range not at the top end. LB Joe Thomas looked like a CB when next to Jaylon.

People claim he avoids contact but he seems to almost seek out blockers to engage. He seems to hesitate before making tackles but why avoid a RB but not avoid 320 pound OLinemen if his goal was avoiding contact?

In college he didn't need great instincts because he had the movement skills of an NFL CB but in a 240 pound body. He literally played Nickel CB on some snaps in college but also played some at DE.

He has been OK at getting off blocks this season but still does not make the play even when he wins against the blocker.

This defense is completely different for LBs than the Marinelli defense. Maybe he can get better but they need another legit LB on the roster next season in case he does not improve or if LVE gets injured again. I'm in favor of BPA in the draft but I'm hopeful BPA is a DT in the 1st.

Jaylon just isn't tough enough or mean enough. Lacks heart. Its that simple. He is a finesse pretty boy that is just happy to be running around out there. He got his big contract, feels set for life, and most likely wants to do some modeling when he is done so will most likely retire early as not to mess up his dashing looks.

He is basically missing all the key ingredients needed to be a great MLBer in the NFL.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Excellent Analysis!

-I don't think Jaylon will be cut for at least another season, but that doesn't mean they cannot bring in another high level LB.
-The front office did show interest with drafting Murray last yr, which suggests they could be looking to upgrade that position.
-Perhaps Jaylon would be better served being moved to that strong-side, designated passer role.
-If Nolan truly wants to make this a two-gap system, Jaylon is a terrible fit due to his lack of instincts.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Cmon buddy............Williams is a liability. At the end of the day on a good line he will always be the weakest link. He is a great backup, but a sub standard starter. Even surrounded by 4 pro bowl types he couldnt handle his lunch.

I believe this is his 3rd season so next year will be his last. I cant imagine McGovern being worse than Williams.

I don't expect Connor Williams to receive a 2nd contract from the team, but that doesn't mean he is a poor player, either. Everyone wanted to get rid of Kyle Kosier here in Dallas, but after he left the OL just wasn't as good. Connor has his issues, but he also does make positive plays. The staff likes him over McGovern who is more of a phone booth type, where Williams has the ability to play better on the move in the run game.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
When we talk about issues on the defensive side of the ball, Jaylon Smith's name comes up first, the same can be said about Connor Williams. Both are former 2nd rd picks that haven't lived up to their draft slots.

No team can have elite, all-pro players at every position, but Jaylon is being paid like one and Connor Williams contract is set to expire after next season. It is also my understanding that their is an out of Jaylon's contract around the same time. Are they apart of the team's future core?

How much better would the team improve if they upgraded both spots? I understand there are more immediate needs to address, but each unit is arguably being held back by these two starters.

Pro Bowl and 400+ tackles in 45 games.

#JaylonHate

DuncanIso

Reaction score
When we talk about issues on the defensive side of the ball, Jaylon Smith's name comes up first, the same can be said about Connor Williams. Both are former 2nd rd picks that haven't lived up to their draft slots.

No team can have elite, all-pro players at every position, but Jaylon is being paid like one and Connor Williams contract is set to expire after next season. It is also my understanding that their is an out of Jaylon's contract around the same time. Are they apart of the team's future core?

How much better would the team improve if they upgraded both spots? I understand there are more immediate needs to address, but each unit is arguably being held back by these two starters.

CWilliams PFF Grade 69.9

680 snaps 1 Penalty and 2 Sacks allowed

#CWilliamsHate

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Williams has turned into an average to mediocre guard. Not what you want out of a second rounder G, but he's not a total bust.

Jaylon has been figured out HARD by the league, give him eye candy and he is toast. Obviously the worry with him out of Notre Dame was physical with the ACL and the drop foot, but he's shown in 2018 and in a couple of odd games since that he still has the athleticism post-injury to be a Pro Bowl linebacker. But his mental game is just awful. He abandons his responsibility to play hero-ball, but he sucks at hero ball because he guesses wrong 90% of the time.

You can bait him every time with motion, but even when you call high school's first power run play, he'll usually crash the wrong gap. Jaylon basically has to know what the offense's playcall is going to be to make the play.

Honestly, I think Jaylon has got high on his own supply, and that's why he thinks he's up for hero ball. We knew his instincts were mediocre at Notre Dame, but if he stayed in structure and worked hard with the defensive coaches on learning reads, he could probably be decent enough to let his athleticism take over. Trying to freelance everything when he has no clue of what's even happening is just going to get him a Clear Eye View of the waiver wire in 2021.

To sum up that whole pissy rant... we placed a contrarian bet on Jaylon's physical recovery with the #34 pick and won it, but we didn't expect him to be this stupid.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Williams has turned into an average to mediocre guard. Not what you want out of a second rounder G, but he's not a total bust.

Jaylon has been figured out HARD by the league, give him eye candy and he is toast. Obviously the worry with him out of Notre Dame was physical with the ACL and the drop foot, but he's shown in 2018 and in a couple of odd games since that he still has the athleticism post-injury to be a Pro Bowl linebacker. But his mental game is just awful. He abandons his responsibility to play hero-ball, but he sucks at hero ball because he guesses wrong 90% of the time.

You can bait him every time with motion, but even when you call high school's first power run play, he'll usually crash the wrong gap. Jaylon basically has to know what the offense's playcall is going to be to make the play.

Honestly, I think Jaylon has got high on his own supply, and that's why he thinks he's up for hero ball. We knew his instincts were mediocre at Notre Dame, but if he stayed in structure and worked hard with the defensive coaches on learning reads, he could probably be decent enough to let his athleticism take over. Trying to freelance everything when he has no clue of what's even happening is just going to get him a Clear Eye View of the waiver wire in 2021.

To sum up that whole pissy rant... we placed a contrarian bet on Jaylon's physical recovery with the #34 pick and won it, but we didn't expect him to be this stupid.

Ranked #2 in NFL Tackles.

Not bad for being a "stupid" player.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't expect Connor Williams to receive a 2nd contract from the team, but that doesn't mean he is a poor player, either. Everyone wanted to get rid of Kyle Kosier here in Dallas, but after he left the OL just wasn't as good. Connor has his issues, but he also does make positive plays. The staff likes him over McGovern who is more of a phone booth type, where Williams has the ability to play better on the move in the run game.
He needs to be replaced. He hasn’t worked out. McGovern really hasn’t gotten a shot. Can’t be worse than Williams.

Havic

Reaction score
Connor Williams is very serviceable and if we resign him to a modest contract I wouldnt be upset.

Just wanted to add. Everyone has a right to be upset with Jaylon. What happened to him? I remember him chasing down Deshaun Watson laying a big hit to this....He runs stiff, like someone who is having knee / back problems.

quickccc

Reaction score
I think he is better suited to go in one direction with very little decision making. Give him a straight line and a task with not a lot of thinking involved and I think you MIGHT see him shine. Maybe he should be a situational pass rusher or outside rushing backer in a 3/4.

Really ? Sounds like a Bad idea.
A guy that is already having issues with shedding and getting off blocks as an off the ball 4-3 OLB ... but now you want to consider
placing him directly on the line, where 320 pounders OT blockers on the edge, at the NFL level, can instantly and easily engage and engulf him ?

He's already being stonewalled by backs, even with a running start and a head of steam ..and now here comes the mammoth blockers ?

Verdict

Reaction score
Really ? Sounds like a Bad idea.
A guy that is already having issues with shedding and getting off blocks as an off the ball 4-3 OLB ... but now you want to consider
placing him directly on the line, where 320 pounders OT blockers on the edge, at the NFL level, can instantly and easily engage and engulf him ?

He's already being stonewalled by backs, even with a running start and a head of steam ..and now here comes the mammoth blockers ?
I think he is hampered more by change of direction and change of thought than physicality.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The worst contract is probably Crawford. He does nothing well, and the cost to move away from him was negligible.

The others might bad contacts, but some of them we are stuck with for the time being.

Crawford is terrible but his contract is peanuts and we can dump him without any cap repercussions. We are stuck with Zeke and Amari's contracts, however, which eat up huge chunks of cap space on a 2-7 team desperate for talent.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I don't disagree. There is a reason why I created this discussion:

-Right now the team holds the #3 overall pick, probably unrealistic to stay there, but for now they hold that pick.
-Two best players available after the QB's are a Tackle (Sewell), & a MLB (Parsons).
-After reading many of the responses, most feel Jaylon is the player needed to be replaced.

Personally, I would like to see the team target a CB, S and DT with their first 3 selections
in any order. Certainly need a developmental G/T and more depth at the LB position considering the health of Lve and Thomas being a fa.
Facts