Jaylon Smith is gone next year

Sydla

Reaction score
this is his contract year so I expect LVE to play great but he is one hit from the sideline because of neck issues at a position where you have to hit full speed every play
We should not pick up his 5th year option

Yeah. You aren't going to tag him either, that tag in 2022 could be over $10 million.

If Parsons and Cox show they can play, it makes it even easier to save cap space on both Smith and LVE.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I feel like I’m the only person left on this site that thinks Vander Esch is an awesome football player.

If Dallas is withholding medical info that I don’t know about then I’m fine letting him go but if he’s as healthy as they say and only being 25 years old it would be nuts to let a talent like him just leave.

He is a freak of a talent and is built for the modern era of football.

He is a cover safety in Urlachers body.
I wouldn’t say awesome. But I do think he can play. It’s a little unfair for people to rip him when you have a d line that can’t help our linebackers play clean. Ray Lewis would be average with this d line in front of him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
There is nothing about his play that has been awesome. Like Smith, he regressed mightily since 2018. I have said for weeks it's time to blow up the LB spot and start over. Seems like Dallas might be thinking that with Parsons and Cox.

He just needs to get healthy. He’s an absolute freak of a player and still flashes.

A defense trying to get better doesn’t just let a guy like that walk.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Drafting a 4th round LB says nothing about the future of Jaylon. Lee and Thomas are no longer on the team so they needed 2 LBs to replace them anyway. Parsons replaces Lee and Cox replaces Thomas. Jaylon and LVE ultimately control their future, but at this stage there's space for all of them.

plasticman

Reaction score
I would like someone to explain why Jaylon Smith is not a good linebacker. I'm not challenging anyone's knowledge, I admit, I'm probably not as observant as some. I just find it difficult to judge anyone based on last season due to the circumstances such as new coaches, no minicamps, preseason, training camp, devastating amount of injuries, etc.

Statistically, 2020 was equal to his 2019 season in which he was a Pro Bowl selection. Due to injuries, the defensive line, especially the DT's were ineffective and that greatly influences an LB's ability to get to the ball carrier.

Jaylon more than doubled anybody else's tackles on the team. He has started every game for the past three seasons, was one of only three last season to start every game. I really believe he is going to have a great season in 2021 with a more compatible system and upgrade in overall defensive talent. I also believe the offense led by Dak will be more effective, giving the defense much less time on the field.

817Gill

Reaction score
Drafting a 4th round LB says nothing about the future of Jaylon. Lee and Thomas are no longer on the team so they needed 2 LBs to replace them anyway. Parsons replaces Lee and Cox replaces Thomas. Jaylon and LVE ultimately control their future, but at this stage there's space for all of them.
You think we drafted Parsons to be the third backer? Phew you’re dreaming bud, he will not have the least playing time between the three. Maybe to start the season but not going into the future.

And Cox is a coverage linebacker which means he’ll be on the field on third downs. You’re telling me LVE and Jaylon will both be paid top LB money and not be 3 down guys?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
You think we drafted Parsons to be the third backer? Phew you’re dreaming bud, he will not have the least playing time between the three. Maybe to start the season but not going into the future.

And Cox is a coverage linebacker which means he’ll be on the field on third downs. You’re telling me LVE and Jaylon will both be paid top LB money and not be 3 down guys?

Key name here bud... Is Jaylon... You're the one dreaming stuff that wasn't said, lol. Please go back and careful read. For now its Jaylon, LVE, and Parsons which is fine. LVE likely has an expiring contract after this season so maybe that slides Parsons to another position. Too early to tell, we'll see how the season plays out. The point is the Cowboys needed 2 LBs anyway so likely doesn't affect Jaylon or LVEs spot on the team for right now. But let the best Lbs win the most playing time.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
I feel like I’m the only person left on this site that thinks Vander Esch is an awesome football player.

If Dallas is withholding medical info that I don’t know about then I’m fine letting him go but if he’s as healthy as they say and only being 25 years old it would be nuts to let a talent like him just leave.

I want to believe that. Me and my 18 month old kid have matching 55 jerseys. But LVE hasn't been more than average since his rookie season. That's 2 whole seasons of injures and meh play when healthy. Some of that may be Jaylon and some may be scheme/line play, but all of its been pretty consistent.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
If he balls out why would he be cut? Lol

Yeah, multiple years left. Cutting a guy after a good season doesn't make any sense. I think he has 2 more years, even with a mediocre season. Savings would only be $5M and if you can't get an upgrade for amount of freed-up money, you're making a bad decision by cutting him. Basically, if he plays like a $5M/year LB, I think he can coast through 2022

Maxmadden

Reaction score
It doesn't matter. Both Jaylon and LVE are in the garage working out right now because the writing is on the wall. I suspect we will see the best of both this coming season because we have a couple of guys ready to take their jobs.

It will come down to the money eventually so as they say " Let's get it on"
Who wants the money?
At the very least we have no concerns at LB for the coming season. It will work itself out.

mmohican29

Reaction score

I agree that LVE @ full strength is a dynamic, plus plus football player.

The problem is he's been very fragile after his outstanding Rookie season. We have to be ready for the worst.

Jaylon seems more durable, but IMO is a horrific football player and I cannot wait for him to be gone.

I feel his business first, millennial attitude has been cancerous to the entire team.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I agree that LVE @ full strength is a dynamic, plus plus football player.

The problem is he's been very fragile after his outstanding Rookie season. We have to be ready for the worst.

Jaylon seems more durable, but IMO is a horrific football player and I cannot wait for him to be gone.

I feel his business first, millennial attitude has been cancerous to the entire team.

I gotta agree a little about the last part.

The Hot Boyz became the entrepreneur Boyz when Jaylon showed up.

Keep Kelvin Joseph away from him please.

starfan1

Reaction score

That puff puff PASS

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Well I can’t see how they pick up Vander esch option even with the cap going up next season. Justify 10 million for him?

conner01

Reaction score
As of now, he would just be dead money with no savings, but next year, we save a little over 6m. Jaylon stays in 2021 and is out next year. I expect him to ball out since he'll be playing for another contract. Win/Win scenario.
Both he and LVE will be here this year
It remains to be seen if Jaylon goes next year
We got Parsons to replace one but Cox is not the replacement for the other
Nice player who can really cover but not the replacement for a 3 down LB
Hopefully LVE has a career year because that’s a win/win
Helps us win this year, gets us a better comp pick later

mmohican29

Reaction score
I would like someone to explain why Jaylon Smith is not a good linebacker. I'm not challenging anyone's knowledge, I admit, I'm probably not as observant as some. I just find it difficult to judge anyone based on last season due to the circumstances such as new coaches, no minicamps, preseason, training camp, devastating amount of injuries, etc.

Statistically, 2020 was equal to his 2019 season in which he was a Pro Bowl selection. Due to injuries, the defensive line, especially the DT's were ineffective and that greatly influences an LB's ability to get to the ball carrier.

Jaylon more than doubled anybody else's tackles on the team. He has started every game for the past three seasons, was one of only three last season to start every game. I really believe he is going to have a great season in 2021 with a more compatible system and upgrade in overall defensive talent. I also believe the offense led by Dak will be more effective, giving the defense much less time on the field.

I'll start.

1) Jaylon Smith hustles into plays post egregious missed assignments, and will not take on downhill ball carriers.

2) Jaylon Smith cannot move to his right while engaged with a blocker and shows little effort to disengage as it is. He has zero push in his left leg post injury.

Lesser of an issue (but still an issue), his change of direction is terrible post-injury. Flipping from moving right to left and returning to sprint opposite is a real problem.

3) His straight line speed is acceptable but he begins at a disadvantage in close space because his agility is severely hampered by the injury.

4) Attitude. There is nothing wrong with business interests and self branding if you are a great football player. This is the least self aware Dallas Cowboy I've ever seen.

5) "Well his stats are still good". Jaylon's stats are as empty as a 1977 Tab can. Somebody has to make the play 12 yards down the field every snap.

No.

I've seen enough. It's unfortunate he suffered that horrific injury. He dererves all the credit in the world for coming back from it.

He then smelled himself after a good Sophomore season, got paid, and mailed it in since.

He's trash.

Last edited:

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score

Let see if they pick up his 5th year option or not.....that will say all we need to no.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
As of now, he would just be dead money with no savings, but next year, we save a little over 6m. Jaylon stays in 2021 and is out next year. I expect him to ball out since he'll be playing for another contract. Win/Win scenario.

Might be the best part about this draft. Another big mistake will get expunged. Then Zeke the year after that.