Twitter: Jaylon Smith loses to sled three times

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
While I agree with the people saying it's his drop foot and not being able to push off of it; this doesn't explain why he eventually did win against the sled. At this point he should understand leverage and how to adjust to his condition. Every other linebacker beat the sled on their first attempt, including Keanu Neal, who's over 20 pounds lighter than Jaylon.

Overall I think this is more of a technique issue than a physical one. Either way it's somewhat troubling.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
He's also hitting the sled too high. Everyone else is hitting it below the "arms" and Jaylon hits it on the "arms" every time. He just needs to hit it lower and at the correct angle. Seems easy enough to correct. I wonder why the coaches aren't telling him that. I also wonder why he is the only one hitting it that way.

He's been playing linebacker for probably decades. He knows how to hit it, hes probably done it thousands of times. If he goes low, he can't out-muscle it with his arms. The only way he can use his upper body strength is if he hits it high which is why he kept doing it. Everyone else uses their legs and core so they attack it low.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Guys please there is nothing wrong with his legs. He is attacking the sled with his arms extended. The other come in almost head first arms bent and push through the sled. His legs are fine. His technique is terrible.

On a brighter note Parsons is huge!!!

An NFL vet LB doesn't need excuses made in how he hits a sled 3 times in a row. That would be like saying 'That NBA player can't bounce the ball without looking at it but his arms are fine, its just his technique is poor'. Hitting a sled should be the easiest thing a football player can do. The rest of the LBers including rookies had no issues.

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
An NFL vet LB doesn't need excuses made in how he hits a sled 3 times in a row. That would be like saying 'That NBA player can't bounce the ball without looking at it but his arms are fine, its just his technique is poor'. Hitting a sled should be the easiest thing a football player can do. The rest of the LBers including rookies had no issues.

Hrm...I went back and watched the video again, this time focusing on his feet and legs. He doesn't push off the left leg and tends to slide, rather than explode with it. I went back and looked up which knee he injured, and it was the left one. You might be right that he is trying to compensate for the knee injury.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Just look at the lack of technique. He doesn’t square up to the sled. He hits it with arms extended. It’s not his legs. It’s 100pct technique.

All you Jaylon has a bad leg types, do you really believe that Dallas starts someone who is handicapped and pays him 60 million dollars? Really?

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Just look at the lack of technique. He doesn’t square up to the sled. He hits it with arms extended. It’s not his legs. It’s 100pct technique.

All you Jaylon has a bad leg types, do you really believe that Dallas starts someone who is handicapped and pays him 60 million dollars? Really?

Yes. I honestly believe he isn't 100% and it handicaps what he can do. You're saying it's technique, and yes I would say that if it were Jabril Cox for example (although that would be a huge red flag if any prospect couldn't properly hit the bag 3 times...don't think that's ever happened before). His technique is on purpose because he can't plant from his foot and push off. So he attacks it in a way he can just use his arm strength to do all the work. His arms are extremely powerful, I'll give him credit, but they'll always be much less powerful than a strong base from your legs

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Yes. I honestly believe he isn't 100% and it handicaps what he can do. You're saying it's technique, and yes I would say that if it were Jabril Cox for example (although that would be a huge red flag if any prospect couldn't properly hit the bag 3 times...don't think that's ever happened before). His technique is on purpose because he can't plant from his foot and push off. So he attacks it in a way he can just use his arm strength to do all the work. His arms are extremely powerful, I'll give him credit, but they'll always be much less powerful than a strong base from your legs

So you think Jerry is paying a handicap 60 million to play LB in the NFL?

Big_D

Reaction score
So you think Jerry is paying a handicap 60 million to play LB in the NFL?

absolutely. It’s clear he favors the leg. Doesn’t mean he’s handicapped, it means the injury lingers. The leg is the reason he’s never been able to take on and shed blocks. And it’s also the reason he overcompensates and his technique is off. I commend him for coming back from such an injury, but it is most definitely a problem.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Idk if you've been playing LB for a very long time shouldnt this drill be 2nd nature? And I don't know why a coach would need to be teaching technique to a NFL player entering his 6th year in the league.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
absolutely. It’s clear he favors the leg. Doesn’t mean he’s handicapped, it means the injury lingers. The leg is the reason he’s never been able to take on and shed blocks. And it’s also the reason he overcompensates and his technique is off. I commend him for coming back from such an injury, but it is most definitely a problem.

So he will never be able to _______ again.

That’s handicapped.

Playing LB in the NFL. Go figure.

Big_D

Reaction score

That’s handicapped.

He favors the injured leg, call it whatever you want. I know go figure. An NFL LB who can't take on blocks isn't a problem somehow?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
While I agree with the people saying it's his drop foot and not being able to push off of it; this doesn't explain why he eventually did win against the sled. At this point he should understand leverage and how to adjust to his condition. Every other linebacker beat the sled on their first attempt, including Keanu Neal, who's over 20 pounds lighter than Jaylon.

Overall I think this is more of a technique issue than a physical one. Either way it's somewhat troubling.
:hammer:

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score

That’s handicapped.

Rather than the smart *** replies, pretending like everyone else is dumb, why not look at the video where 6 or 7 linebackers including raw rookies and far smaller athletes had no issue doing a simple LB warmup routine, but Jaylon couldn't do 3 times in a row. We can show you dozens of clips where he won't plant is foot and tackle somebody, but instead grab a hold of them and try to carry them down with his body weight.

Can't hit sled 3 times because of 'poor technique'. Playing LB in the NFL. Go figure

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Rather than the smart *** replies, pretending like everyone else is dumb, why not look at the video where 6 or 7 linebackers including raw rookies and far smaller athletes had no issue doing a simple LB warmup routine, but Jaylon couldn't do 3 times in a row. We can show you dozens of clips where he won't plant is foot and tackle somebody, but instead grab a hold of them and try to carry them down with his body weight.

Can't hit sled 3 times because of 'poor technique'. Playing LB in the NFL. Go figure
Relax Francis. Don’t get your panties in a bunch.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyup.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
gtfoh. You can pretend with your revisionist history if you want to, but everybody was singing Jaylons praises after the 2018 season. Calling Jerry a buffoon for what was considered a good move at the time shows that you actually are the buffoon.
"Everybody"....talk about revisionist sheesh. There was some amazement at his return and success. It was hoped it would keep getting better. Seems to regressed or atleast stagnant. Now you're getting all pissy with people that noticed it.