Jaylon Smith play-by-play

lqmac1

Reaction score
he is just OK. there is a lot of OK LBs. we are defintely looking to upgrade, specially given his salary. suffice it to say, this is his last year in Dallas. I look for Cox to take more of his snaps as the year goes on.
What’s the cap hit after this year on him?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I just don't understand playing him in the middle. My reason for this is watching his tape. He doesn't attack the gap, he waits. I don't think they know how use him, and I don't blame them.
Quinn has employed him as a spy lately so don't tell me they don't know how to use him.

Aftershock

Reaction score
He’s not good. Not even OK. He’s a liability on defense and no one in the fo has the cojones to sit his *** on the bench. He is slow, has a bum leg, and is always chasing the ball from behind

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I’m sure I’ll be in the minority but I don’t think Jaylon has played bad this season. He hasn’t been great but he hasn’t been terrible. He’s part of why we’ve gotten better on defense. Everyone from last season has shown some improvement on defense. No one has improved more than Diggs. He was downright awful after the first three games last season but this season he’s been talked about as one of the top corners in the league after three games. I believe he leads the entire league in INT’s and pass defenses. The new players we’ve added to the defense has improved us. Our overall defensive ranking isn’t very good at number 26 but that’s because we give up a lot of 25+ yard plays that add up to a lot yards. We continue to bend and eventually we’ll break. The chunk plays will kill us in the playoffs if we get that far. QBs like Brady and Aaron Rodgers will eat us up. The main reason I believe McCarthy didn’t use a timeout or two to try and save some time at the end of the half was because he was fearful Philly might hit us for a big gainer on third and long. We can’t keep giving up chunk plays or they’ll come back to bite us when our season is on the line.

Hopefully, since we do have a lot of new players and we are playing a new scheme, we'll get better at that as the season progresses.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Last season, I think Smith played something like 98% of the plays on defense. Just giving the guy some time to rest is going to make him more effective.

Throw in a better scheme and improved coaching and it is no wonder that Jaylon is playing decent football.

He isn’t great, by any stretch of the imagination… but he isn’t the terrible player that many make him out to be. He can be an effective part of a LB rotation that is heavy on Parsons and Neal. A fresh Smith (and LVE) can assist a good defense.

I agree he is most effective when resting. :)

Cmac

Reaction score
We are anxiously waiting for the weekly homage to LVE too.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What’s the cap hit after this year on him?
6.8M if released. 9.2M if we keep him. I think he has an early signing bonus right after the season, so if we pay that, it gaurantees his contract for 2022. so we can't make him a post june 1st cut to split the dead cap.

lqmac1

Reaction score
6.8M if released. 9.2M if we keep him. I think he has an early signing bonus right after the season, so if we pay that, it gaurantees his contract for 2022. so we can't make him a post june 1st cut to split the dead cap.
Thanks for that. So basically a trade partner or release prior to June 1?

Where do we stand cap room wise?

JBond

Reaction score
7th in the league in solo tackles last year, not 'gang' tackles. Throw in assists and he was 2nd in the league.

So no, he doesn't suck.
He is garbage. Probably a nice gentleman, but is weak at the point of attack and piles up stats down the field. How many tackles for a loss?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
when LVE goes around telling everybody he was out there running around more than anybody on defense and pushing people out of the way to get upfront for the celebration, then well dog him.
has he ever ran down to the endzone like a crackhead trying to get his next rock?
crackhead.gif
"look at me, look at me"

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Jaylon stinks. If he made any plays he wouldn't need to be defended every week. One day he will be gone and we will be better for it. He has been dragging down this team for years. Another busted second round gamble from the drunken fool.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Thanks for that. So basically a trade partner or release prior to June 1?

Where do we stand cap room wise?
salary cap hit as of today for 2022 is 227M. with biggest
Dak at 34, restructure candidate
Lawrence 27M - 19M dead cap but of course post june 1st, will be half that.
cooper 22M - 6M dead cap and perhaps restructure candidate
Martin 20M - 17M dead cap - defintley a restructure.... that's way too much for guard spot, I don't care how good you are
Zeke 18m - 30M cap hit...yuck. he is hear at least one more year
Smith 17M - probably restructure
Collins 15M, 13M cap hit....not sure if we restructure, or post june 1st casualty or perhaps a trade of some kind...
Jaylon 11.8, 6.8 dead money...but we have to make a decision on him right after season so no post june 1st
Anthony Brown 6.5M, with 1.5M dead cap....I assume he will be gone.
Jarwin 6.2M, with 2M cap hit, so probably a post june 1st casualty or he has to reduce his salary (by half at least)

there is a whole bunch in the 1-3M range....but just by a few maneuvers we can easily gain around 30M in salary cap....not sure if this accounts for restructures that was done to couple of contracts we just redid.....

depends on where the cap is, and I expect it to be back to where it was supposed to be prior to pandemic, so perhaps in the 220-230 range at least...

lqmac1

Reaction score
salary cap hit as of today for 2022 is 227M. with biggest
Dak at 34, restructure candidate
Lawrence 27M - 19M dead cap but of course post june 1st, will be half that.
cooper 22M - 6M dead cap and perhaps restructure candidate
Martin 20M - 17M dead cap - defintley a restructure.... that's way too much for guard spot, I don't care how good you are
Zeke 18m - 30M cap hit...yuck. he is hear at least one more year
Smith 17M - probably restructure
Collins 15M, 13M cap hit....not sure if we restructure, or post june 1st casualty or perhaps a trade of some kind...
Jaylon 11.8, 6.8 dead money...but we have to make a decision on him right after season so no post june 1st
Anthony Brown 6.5M, with 1.5M dead cap....I assume he will be gone.
Jarwin 6.2M, with 2M cap hit, so probably a post june 1st casualty or he has to reduce his salary (by half at least)

there is a whole bunch in the 1-3M range....but just by a few maneuvers we can easily gain around 30M in salary cap....not sure if this accounts for restructures that was done to couple of contracts we just redid.....

depends on where the cap is, and I expect it to be back to where it was supposed to be prior to pandemic, so perhaps in the 220-230 range at least...
Thank you so much for that. I think there’s some guys like Schultz that we have to lock up along with guys like Kearse, Khazee, Neil and such… sounds like we will have enough to do so.

Do you start taking into consideration the massive contracts that are going to arise such as Diggs and Parsons this soon?

Reason I ask is because shortly after them, Dak’s contract will be up. I’m already thinking about that little time window and wondering if we would be able to produce three contracts of that magnitude within a very short window.