Jaylon Smith play-by-play

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Thank you so much for that. I think there’s some guys like Schultz that we have to lock up along with guys like Kearse, Khazee, Neil and such… sounds like we will have enough to do so.

Do you start taking into consideration the massive contracts that are going to arise such as Diggs and Parsons this soon?

Reason I ask is because shortly after them, Dak’s contract will be up. I’m already thinking about that little time window and wondering if we would be able to produce three contracts of that magnitude within a very short window.
I think I am ready to negotiate with Schultz. he is defintley a keepr and if nothing else, we get rid of Jarwin and put McKeon as TE2 and draft another one.

I wouldn't worry about Parsons yet, he is 4 years away and we get an option year I belive.

Diggs you have to start to think ahead, but its not going to matter until 2023.....I think Dak will get extended. IMHO, it was done such that it will allow them to extend it and push more money to signing bonus and extend years

plus, Cap is expected to go up significantly...some say 20-25% by 2023 (not relative to today, but where it was supposed to be), so we get some relief there (but salaries will also go up as a result)

lqmac1

Reaction score
I think I am ready to negotiate with Schultz. he is defintley a keepr and if nothing else, we get rid of Jarwin and put McKeon as TE2 and draft another one.

I wouldn't worry about Parsons yet, he is 4 years away and we get an option year I belive.

Diggs you have to start to think ahead, but its not going to matter until 2023.....I think Dak will get extended. IMHO, it was done such that it will allow them to extend it and push more money to signing bonus and extend years

plus, Cap is expected to go up significantly...some say 20-25% by 2023 (not relative to today, but where it was supposed to be), so we get some relief there (but salaries will also go up as a result)
Cool. You don’t seem worried so I won’t be. Thanks again for looking into it.

Cmac

Reaction score
when LVE goes around telling everybody he was out there running around more than anybody on defense and pushing people out of the way to get upfront for the celebration, then well dog him.
has he ever ran down to the endzone like a crackhead trying to get his next rock?
crackhead.gif
"look at me, look at me"
Crash......really?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since Smith draws a lot of heat from fans for his play, I thought I would focus on him on defense while watching the replay:

1st-and-10 Smith drops into zone coverage in the middle of the field before picking up the crosser as Hurts throws over the linebackers to Goedert. It appears that Diggs was playing the receiver who crossed, but then had to pick up Goedert coming off the line because of zone responsibilities. Goedert broke inside behind the linebackers with Diggs chasing. The crosser kept LVE and Jaylon from dropping in front of Goedert's route and Diggs couldn't catch up to Goedert. Smith was in good position on the crossing receiver.

1st-and-10 Smith stepped up to take on the back coming out of the backfield (either for the run or pass, can't tell), but the back actually dove at Parsons' legs to block him and the throw was quick to the outside, where Lewis pushed the receiver out of bounds after a few yards.

2nd-and-5 Smith is sitting in middle zone with a receiver just entering his area when Hurts throws deep down the sideline and is intercepted by Brown.

Nothing spectacular or particularly bad by Smith on this possession.

Don't you think the play of Parsons and Diggs has helped him?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Don't you think the play of Parsons and Diggs has helped him?

Haven't had an opportunity to go back and do more play-by-play. But I would say he's probably benefiting more from the DT play and maybe his role in this scheme. However, having stud players like Diggs and Parsons have been so far always makes things easier on the whole defense.

There were a lot of factors that played a part in Smith looking bad last year.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is bad, but it looks worse than it is. They are playing the read option - 93 owns the RB, Jaylon owns the QB. They are supposed to follow their player so that there isn't a "right answer." But the action from the TE was un-expected, so much so that I'm not sure this was ever an actual option play. I think it was designed to look like one so that Jaylon would stay on Hurts while the TE cleaned up the DE. It worked.

Now, you would like your LB to more quickly figure that out and move to the ball, and Jaylon has enough of this cheese- eating clips that he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. But I think this was actually one well designed play from Philadelpiha as much as a whif. I actually think Jaylon was doing his job and the Cowboys got caught.
both the DL and the Lb messed that up,. like last year..