RELEASED Jaylon Smith released

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am no Jaylon Smith fan and was screaming to do this before his contract guaranteed this year. But t this point I don't get it. He played ok the last 2 weeks. At least if you wait until all your DEs are back you don't need Micah at DE at all

Yeah, sorry but I can't imagine a scenario popping up where we need a handicapped player.

SSoup

Reaction score
Um….don’t get that. He’s been a decidedly average NFL linebacker this year playing a lower number of snaps. You already owe him all his money this season and you’re not going to get anyone better off the street.

Just seems like a pointless move that only hurts depth
If things kept going like the Tampa game where he only played 15 snaps or whatever, sure. But we let him hang around and life happened and he got back-to-back weeks playing 50+ snaps after that. It's why I wanted him cut before the season, because if he hung around, I knew life would find a way to thrust him back onto the field more than he has any business being out there. And we're just lucky our opponents didn't attack him more to make us pay for this mistake.

Also worth mentioning: it's likely Jaylon himself prompted this because he's unhappy he's not playing more. When we called an audible and basically changed plans to make Parsons more of a DE suddenly in September, and then Neal got Covid, I think Jaylon ASSUMED he'd inherit his old role and all would be right with the world. He still thinks of himself as an elite player doing great things. For him to only log 20-something snaps this week despite the Neal and Parsons situations was probably a real splash of cold water for him. I bet he went to the owner or the coaches and made it clear this isn't working out for him.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
It’s strictly financial. They also must not see the difference at LB between him and the next guys up. Also expecting getting guys back like Armstrong who will allow Parsons to play more LB and Neal back this week.

I have a hard time believing they will take Parsons off the line ........ they tried that in the first half last week and the Panthers were killing us ....... 3rd quarter they had him rushing the passer and we dominated them.

rynochop

Reaction score
I think I figured it out
He has a 9 mil injury guarantee for next year
That is a big risk if he not in your future plans so that makes it a more logical move
That does make sense, but why now?

GoldenR

Reaction score
Notre Dame fan here also and saw him dominate games. So I truly believed he was a steal and would recover to form.( I was wrong) He seems very genuine but he was hurting the team at LB. Jaylon seemed lost the majority of the time last year and this year. This really had to be tough for Jerry and players.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True. I'm guessing the new coordinator came in and knew his pedigree and how poorly his last coach ran the defense. Then he wanted to see if he could coach him back to being a player before cutting ties. I think that's understandable. Especially considering his character and leadership role on the team. Probably just wanted to see if he could save him.

Possibly. Nick Eatman mentioned a possible reason being wanting to avoid a potential injury that would have Dallas on the hook for his $9 million salary next year.

Any way you look at it, a waste of $7 million of cap space.

Reactions: CWR

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
giphy.gif
:lmao2:

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
To me this means the team is serious about improving and winning as many games as they possibly can.

Carson

Reaction score

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He could have been inserted at anytime if he was ready. Smith's being there had no bearing on his playing time.

You are doing is making an assumption and it may be correct, I dont know. But who do you think is the next linebacker up if something happens? It could be that a part of this move is because they want to get Cox more PT.

JayFord

Reaction score
Mannnn they have no idea.

My buddies back home are WFT fans. Already talking about wanting to sign him lol
this is why WFT fans make me dislike the team

they talk so much about how all our players suck then when one gets released they pull a 180 and say "lets get him hes a beast"