RELEASED Jaylon Smith released

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
WFT lost Bostic

New York lost Martinez

i thought Bostic was coming back but you’re right, they have him out indefinitely. Would hope he wouldn’t sign with an NFC East team. We’ll still win but just one more obstacle.

Blake

Reaction score
Now that Jerry and Jimmy settled their beef; Jimmy is the silent GM. Smith is an example for the rest.

Lol. Jerry makes frequent phone calls to Jimmy on his boat in Florida to confer with him about personnel decisions.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I sorta saw it coming when I posted how bad his gap assignments were. He never closed into the gap and closed the hole. Bad thing is Jerry could of saved us 7 mill if he had released him in the Spring. Another example of poor GMing:facepalm:

coult44

Reaction score
I don’t get it
Since you pay him anyway he’s has some value as depth
I guess they think someone will sign him and save them a little money

When your depth is that bad, it’s not depth, it’s death!!

aikemirv

Reaction score
One reason why I wouldn’t have done it now. Could mess up mojo. Lot explaining to do
There are a ton of new guys on this D. I am not sure it would upset anybody to get rid of a guy who talked a lot but screwed up assignments.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
28 snaps yesterday. Neal and Cox can easily that that. With Gholston showing up and Watkins back, we don't need 11 at DE.

I expect Jerry prefers a clean release over a late round pick and still paying salary as part of the deal. It let's Jaylon choose his next team and players notice that.

Plankton

Reaction score
His contract is guaranteed for this season
I don’t see how it saves any money cutting him now over after the season

I brought this up during camp - he has a 9.2M injury guarantee for next year. If he gets hurt, and he can't pass a physical before the fifth day of the league year in 2022, they are on the hook for that money. This is why I thought that they should have cut him coming out of camp.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Um….don’t get that. He’s been a decidedly average NFL linebacker this year playing a lower number of snaps. You already owe him all his money this season and you’re not going to get anyone better off the street.

Just seems like a pointless move that only hurts depth

Because if he gets injured you're on the hook for the 2022 money

Carson

Reaction score
I don't think so, but I do think it sends a message: Play up to the standard set by the coaches, or risk looking for a job elsewhere.

Jaylon may have been really liked in the locker room, but I think we have some pretty mature players that understand the NFL is a business.

JMHO
I think that’s overblown IMO. Outside of Lawrence, Lewis and Brown it’s all new fresh blood on defense.

I doubt Lewis and Brown are super pro Smith. It would be Tank IMO