RELEASED Jaylon Smith released

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Wow! We all know Jaylon was a complete liability for this defense for a few years now. This is a message sent to the entire team, no matter how much you are paid, how high you were drafted, you better perform or we will find your replacement. Cox should see some snaps now, where Lve is now on notice.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Dallas tried to trade him but couldn't. This means 31 teams weren't even willing to part with a 7th round pick. That speaks volumes.
Well to be fair, I think teams would be way more scared of that contract (especially the injury guarantee) than the film.

I have no doubt Jaylon will get at least 1 more shot at a much more reasonable salary.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The guys who gave Jaylon the awful contract in the first place? No they don’t get praise.
if there was never a bad deal done by a team, and we did bad deals only... youd have a point. But EVERY team has bad deals.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Well to be fair, I think teams would be way more scared of that contract (especially the injury guarantee) than the film.

I have no doubt Jaylon will get at least 1 more shot at a much more reasonable salary.

He's going to get a one year "prove it" deal from somebody. I wish him the best but I think he peaked in 2018 after the knee/nerve injury and it's just been downhill after that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
How are you going to jump into a discussion and have no clue about the discussion?

How come you are the ONLY guy upset here? Just admit you completely missed the boat on this one and I personally wont ride you on it the rest of your days. I promise. :muttley:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
When you say “we”, you mean us non football professionals that actually do not do this for a living. Is professionals that are not at practice and not in the meeting rooms. Us professionals that actually don’t know what the assignments are and if they are being executed to give an accurate assessment. You mean us?
I mean the guy that says he is an improvement... and yea, the guys that dont see jack squat that happens behind the scenes, and the guys that make statements like this player is better than that player when said player hasnt even been on the field hardly at all.... yea, those guys.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Love the Big Balls move by Jerry… needed to be done. Some reasons to rejoice:

1. Remove a progress stopping liability from the field, and add a younger, better player to the mix
2. Clear up cap troubles for next year
3. Send a huge message to the team… perform to expectation or you might get the axe. A big paycheck is not a bulletproof vest. Everyone is on notice in that locker room lol….

Damn. Gutsiest move I’ve seen Jerry make in a long time. Respect. Needed to be done— but the job description comes with hard decisions, and sometimes you gotta burst someone’s bubble. Bad *** move Jerry Jones. Props

boom-bomb.gif

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Um….don’t get that. He’s been a decidedly average NFL linebacker this year playing a lower number of snaps. You already owe him all his money this season and you’re not going to get anyone better off the street.

Just seems like a pointless move that only hurts depth

LOL Jabril Cox and I might add that Luke Gifford is a better replacement than Smith.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Wow! We all know Jaylon was a complete liability for this defense for a few years now. This is a message sent to the entire team, no matter how much you are paid, how high you were drafted, you better perform or we will find your replacement. Cox should see some snaps now, where Lve is now on notice.

With Keanu Neal likely back for this week I think Cox will still struggle to get snaps on defense, though I would like to see it happen.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just heard Jaylon was mouthy and disruptive in the locker room due to lack of playing time. If true? This quick release is starting to make sense.

i agree. If true then he brought it on himself

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Somebody is going to sign him though, but on the cheap. I don't understand the dynamics of it all but I think if a team traded for Smith they would have owed him at least part of his 2021 contract money with Dallas? If I'm wrong somebody can correct me.

Yes, that is correct. The team would have been on the hook for his remaining 2021 salary and 2022 injury guarantee.