Video: Jaylon Smith Should Be The Highest Paid LB In NFL?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he's blazing fast for even a SS, if that 4.40 is true ... plus he has 30-40 lbs on them
http://www.draftscout.com/players.php?GenPos=SS&DraftYear=2019&sortorder=TSXPos&order=ASC

and he's a better cover man than any S on this team (or Thornhill), and takes better angles

but frankly, I think he could also be an awesome hand on the ground edge too

this is heck of an athlete

note, with Jaylon at SS you could run a 4-2 all day

The site you gave a link to shows a 40 range for Jaylon of 4.56-4.78 (see below from that site). Even if it were 4.4, while that would be fast even at safety, it's not unheard of or miles above the average. Jeff Heath, for example, ran 4.48 coming out of college. 4.4 would, on the other hand be next to unheard of at LB. Plus, straight line speed isn't the only consideration anyway. His agility even at 240+ lb pounds is exceptional for covering TE's and chasing down QBs and RBs near the line of scrimmage, but that kind of size would be limiting trying to stick with lightening fast and quick WR's in the open field and downfield. There is a considerable difference between covering a 250 lb TE that runs a 4.6-4.8 40 within 10-15 yards of the LOS, and a 200 lb WR running a 4.3-4.5 40 in the open field and who makes on a dime cuts. In the first scenario Jaylon's speed and agility would be almost off the charts, but in the second his speed and agility would become much more within a normal range.

Rank
Player Name College Proj High Projected Proj Low Height Weight 40 Time Range Hometown, State High School
1 *Myles Jack
injury.gif
UCLA Early 1st 1 ???/INJ 6-1 245 4.46 - 4.67 Bellevue, WA Bellevue

2*Darron Lee
same.gif
Ohio State Early 1st 1 Mid 1st 6-1 232 4.36 - 4.56 New Albany, OH New Albany
*Leonard Floyd
up.gif
Georgia Early 1st 1 Mid-Late 1st 6-6 244 4.49 - 4.69 Eastman, GA Dodge County
*Kamalei Correa
same.gif
Boise State Late 1st 1-2 2nd 6-3 243 4.58 - 4.78 Honolulu, HI Saint Louis School
*Sua Cravens
same.gif
Southern California Early 2nd 2 3rd 6-1 226 4.57 - 4.73 Los Angeles, CA Vista Murrieta
Deion Jones
same.gif
LSU 2nd 2 3rd 6-1 222 4.37 - 4.64 New Orleans, LA Jesuit
Joshua Perry
same.gif
Ohio State 2nd 2-3 4th 6-4 254 4.48 - 4.68 Galena, OH Olentangy
Kyler Fackrell
same.gif
Utah State 2nd 2-3 4th 6-5 245 4.52 - 4.72 Mesa, AZ Mesa
Jordan Jenkins
same.gif
Georgia 2-3rd 3 4th 6-3 259 4.61 - 4.81 Hamilton, GA Harris County
*Jaylon Smith
injury.gif
Notre Dame 2-3rd 3-4 ???/INJ 6-2 223 4.56 - 4.78 Fort Wayne, IN Bishop Luers
*Yannick Ngakoue
same.gif
Maryland 3rd 3-4 4-5th 6-2 252 4.58 - 4.78 Bowie, MD Friendship Collegiate
Joe Schobert
same.gif
Wisconsin 3rd 4 4-5th 6-1 244 4.58 - 4.79 Waukesha, WI West
Jatavis Brown
up.gif
Akron 3rd 4 5th 5-11 227 4.38 - 4.54 Belle Glade, FL Glades Central
Nick Kwiatkoski
same.gif
West Virginia 3rd/ILBorOLB 4-5 5th 6-2 243 4.55 - 4.75 Bethel Park, PA Bethel Park
15Eric Striker
same.gif
Oklahoma 3-4th 5 5-6th 5-11 227 4.61 - 4.81 Tampa, FL Armwood

quickccc

Reaction score
IMO, the the magic will include Lee. Don't count Sean Lee out as a major factor on this team.

If can run in full stride w/o pulling up, no one has a better nose for the ball.

With decent DTs they'll be in a near full time 4-2, Lee will start at SLB, but in rotation all 3 of will may play MLB and WLB

I've always been amazed at what this D can do with serious DTs on the field, with little investment at DT, until now :)

It may sound extreme but I expect this defense to dominate most games. Mostly because of awesome LBs.

i was telling people that once it was announced Sean would be returning in '19, that it would be idea to put all three of their best LBs on the field at the same time.
and that puts Lee at strong side LB.
But some jumped at me claiming Lee can't handle that kind of pounding and punishment of blockers meeting head on with him at the line and he'd be too brittle for that.
i think the Cowboys coaches are devising how to best utilize Lee as a SLB with how he can lineup on the line, off the ball and at angles without him taking on and absorbing
as much body toll and pounding than the usual strong side LB. Plus he may only be taking 20'ish number of reps as the SLB usually does.

With the two young stud LBs in LVE and Jaylon, i don't think even the very savvy cerebral Lee will be asked to the nickel packages this time around.
Also with Lee's durability issues, its critical to have a Plan B, "when" he goes down with another hamstring, shoulder or foot injury.
we'll have to see if reserve vet Joe Thomas and others can be very capable sub-fill ins.

Number1

Reaction score
The site you gave a link to shows a 40 range for Jaylon of 4.56-4.78 (see below from that site). Even if it were 4.4, while that would be fast even at safety, it's not unheard of or miles above the average. Jeff Heath, for example, ran 4.48 coming out of college. 4.4 would, on the other hand be next to unheard of at LB.

other than combine numbers I don't trust the pro day or mystery stats, like Myles Jack

which is why with no electronic time on Jaylon, that's why I said the 4.40 may be real

watching him play I'd say he's way faster than Heath and far more agile than any of our Ss
* I noticed in the last NYG game he has better lateral speed than Barkley

Number1

Reaction score
With the two young stud LBs in LVE and Jaylon, i don't think even the very savvy cerebral Lee will be asked to the nickel packages this time around.
Also with Lee's durability issues, its critical to have a Plan B, "when" he goes down with another hamstring, shoulder or foot injury.
we'll have to see if reserve vet Joe Thomas and others can be very capable sub-fill ins.

that's huge question for camp - can Thomas be a regular contributor at a high level?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He's incredible. Are we ready to say he's the best LB in the NFL?

I don't think he's the best on this team. I'd take LVE all day over Jaylon.
That's a pretty bold statement I think they definitely complement each other but if I was just to keep one it would definitely have to be Jalen.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That's a pretty bold statement I think they definitely complement each other but if I was just to keep one it would definitely have to be Jalen.

Why though?

LVE after 1 season is already one of the best in the league and he can just do things that most linebackers, including Jaylon, just aren't capable of at his level.

It's a passing league and LVE is a phenom in space at both tackling and covering.

Jaylon is a down hill and sideline to sideline guy. I don't want him covering unless he's playing a zone and defending checkdowns.

Both are great but in todays modern game give me Vander Esch.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why though?

LVE after 1 season is already one of the best in the league and he can just do things that most linebackers, including Jaylon, just aren't capable of at his level.

It's a passing league and LVE is a phenom in space at both tackling and covering.

Jaylon is a down hill and sideline to sideline guy. I don't want him covering unless he's playing a zone and defending checkdowns.

I it's just a matter of an opinion my cowboy brother. I just happened to think Jaylon Smith is a better all-round linebacker. Maybe just a little bit more intelligent. Maybe that's the edge I'm giving him

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why though?

Solid points.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think Jalen sees the play better before it even happens. Reminds me a little bit of Sean Lee in that respect the Rams game. I'm still spitting Nails over that one

Number1

Reaction score
Why though?

Both are great but in today's modern game give me Vander Esch.

Hate to disagree be Jaylon is the better cover guy by far.

IMO, Jaylon ranks about the same as LVE. If you look at the 2018 stats, Vander Esch has more tackles, he's a tackling machine, but Jaylon made more big plays, sacks, PDs, and FFLs.

I can't say one really better than the other in this system, but Jaylon has more big play potential.

match Jaylon in zone or man vs any RB or TE, for that matter most SWRs, he'd win most contests - LVE can't do that

John813

Reaction score
*Not saying anyone here dislikes the other LB

Just got to be happy we have two linebackers that have elite potential.
Jaylon fell in the draft due to his injury and LVE fell due to only starting one year in the MWC.
Both have shown that if there was a re-draft, both would go higher than when taken.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hate to disagree be Jaylon is the better cover guy by far.

IMO, Jaylon ranks about the same as LVE. If you look at the 2018 stats, Vander Esch has more tackles, he's a tackling machine, but Jaylon made more big plays, sacks, PDs, and FFLs.

I can't say one really better than the other in this system, but Jaylon has more big play potential.

match Jaylon in zone or man vs any RB or TE, for that matter most SWRs, he'd win most contests - LVE can't do that

I disagree.

LVE is phenomenal in coverage and I watched him all year long run step for step with Skill players, including WRs, downfield.

Dallas wouldn’t dare do this with Jaylon consistently. Just cover what is in front of him or send him on a blitz. Turning and running is not his strength. Sideways and straight forward is his wheel house.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yes, of course....... Every single Cowboy Player should be the Highest Paid Player at their position in the NFL. Of course that's how it should be........

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
other than combine numbers I don't trust the pro day or mystery stats, like Myles Jack

which is why with no electronic time on Jaylon, that's why I said the 4.40 may be real

watching him play I'd say he's way faster than Heath and far more agile than any of our Ss
* I noticed in the last NYG game he has better lateral speed than Barkley

The stats were from the web site you provided the link for. It didn’t say 4.4.
Jaylon didn’t run at the combine. He was injured.

Number1

Reaction score
I disagree.

LVE is phenomenal in coverage and I watched him all year long run step for step with Skill players, including WRs, downfield.

Dallas wouldn’t dare do this with Jaylon consistently. Just cover what is in front of him or send him on a blitz. Turning and running is not his strength. Sideways and straight forward is his wheel house.
if you say so