Video: Jaylon Smith Should Be The Highest Paid LB In NFL?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
@CATCH17 is probably the closest in this thread with his assessment of Jaylon.

People get this impression that he's a sideline to sideline speed-backer based on his reputation from Notre Dame. He got much stronger during his rehab, and is now just straight-up violent heading downhill. He seems more straight-linish than before though. The team usually uses him pretty well in that regard - blitz the center, run to the sideline, fill the A gap, trigger downhill on the TE from zone, etc - to where he doesn't have to do much more than sprint downhill and clean someone's clock, and he's darn good at it. But LVE is the guy they put in space on the weak side for a reason.

LVE is just a freak, it's incredible how good he is in the open field. Backs and WRs try to stutter-step him, thinking this 6'4" 260 pound LB won't be able to hang with them and will be forced to commit. But LVE can mirror athletes 50 pounds lighter than him, and when he grabs them they just drop. He makes some VERY difficult stops in space look easy.

The biggest weakness with Jaylon right now is probably man coverage, he seems to be a lot less comfortable when his assignment's not "run/drop to this spot", and good TEs can shake him if they're sent downfield. Watch him vs the Eagles, there were times when Ertz and Goedert took him to task. As a 4-3 Will, LVE basically has no weaknesses IMO.
This is what they thought of Jaylon when he was in college.
Jaylon_Smith_in_coverage.0.jpg

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
How many "highest paid in the NFL" guys are we going to have on a team that hasn't gotten beyond the divisional round of the playoffs? :huh:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is what they thought of Jaylon when he was in college.
Jaylon_Smith_in_coverage.0.jpg

That's a false caption. Jaylon is not responsible for coverage over that entire area. Look at where he is facing - where his eyes are - where he is moving. He is tracking the receiver that is in motion. THAT is his responsibility, not the entire blue outline.

quickccc

Reaction score
It was *drop foot*, a condition affecting the nerves controlling the muscles controlling flexion of the foot.

Some people were hysterical about letting Hitchens go, but it was obviously the smart move. We've got too many very good players to sign to be putting big chunks of money into Hitchens.

It was also the lucky move, as keeping Hitchens probably means we don't sign LVE, who has been a jackpot.

Hitchens did not make game changing big plays or turnovers (ala LVE) and he didn't bring a physical presence that sets a mode and tone to the defense (ala Jaylon)
He was never going to make big plays vs pass game.

He was solid in fundamentals, and he was active and around the action vs the run , and he was versatile.
A natural middle LB who can slide out to OLB in the 4-3 in a pinch but he wasn't a stand out difference maker in any area, run or pass.
He's another one of those decent, serviceable types. Not warranted dishing out big money to, imo.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
That's a false caption. Jaylon is not responsible for coverage over that entire area. Look at where he is facing - where his eyes are - where he is moving. He is tracking the receiver that is in motion. THAT is his responsibility, not the entire blue outline.
The point was that this is how he was viewed. #WhySoSerious

quickccc

Reaction score
@CATCH17 is probably the closest in this thread with his assessment of Jaylon.

People get this impression that he's a sideline to sideline speed-backer based on his reputation from Notre Dame. He got much stronger during his rehab, and is now just straight-up violent heading downhill. He seems more straight-linish than before though. The team usually uses him pretty well in that regard - blitz the center, run to the sideline, fill the A gap, trigger downhill on the TE from zone, etc - to where he doesn't have to do much more than sprint downhill and clean someone's clock, and he's darn good at it. But LVE is the guy they put in space on the weak side for a reason.

LVE is just a freak, it's incredible how good he is in the open field. Backs and WRs try to stutter-step him, thinking this 6'4" 260 pound LB won't be able to hang with them and will be forced to commit. But LVE can mirror athletes 50 pounds lighter than him, and when he grabs them they just drop. He makes some VERY difficult stops in space look easy.

The biggest weakness with Jaylon right now is probably man coverage, he seems to be a lot less comfortable when his assignment's not "run/drop to this spot", and good TEs can shake him if they're sent downfield. Watch him vs the Eagles, there were times when Ertz and Goedert took him to task. As a 4-3 Will, LVE basically has no weaknesses IMO.

I guess in an evaluation and opinion view thread like this, you’re gonna get various different eye ball assessment on that player. Maybe we all will get into a habit of over-analyzing a certain player.
Some are gonna think Jaylon’s flaw is man coverage, to which if it was, .why would HE be the sole, only LB left on the field in the nickel ?

I tend to think man coverage is actually his best trait in pass coverage.
And you know why he had the reputation as a sideline to sideline speed backer coming out of Notre Dame, because flow and pursuit was indeed his best trait as a run defender.

And if Jaylon was just a straight line player, which would mean he has no agility, change of direction skills to help him in coverage, so why couldn’t coordinators take advantage of such a flaw?

Also I know people are dependant on highlights to try to place light on a player .. but it’s a reason why they called them "highlights", ..you’ll be limited to just only the good plays ..the standout plays,.. but it won’t include the minuses, flaws.
i dont think it's gonna be a tell-all to a certain player.
I would think that If you really want a fair and equal assessment of a player, why not try a clip where you can see his ENTIRE game tape, where you can see both plus vs minus, series for series ?

LVE may have a weakness as of right now, and it has nothing to do with his physical ability, but more so inexperience.
He was subbed out for Sean Lee in the Rams playoff game and that had to be assumed that he was being overwhelmed and confused mentally with maybe
all the motion and misdirections that the Rams were throwing at those LBs and who knows how much affected their run gap responsibilities too.

That was puzzling for just Vander Esch, because I also thought Jaylon was having his issues too. But the rookie getting yanked took the bulk of the blame among the LBs ?
As terrific as LVE's ball hawk skills are, i would wonder why was the rookie being ousted out of the defense in obvious passing downs, with Jaylon being the sole, lone LB on the nickel ?

Is there some "rookie-ness " that Richard prefer not to have in there, or was the defense just already set to have Jaylon only in the nickel ?
Overall and long term, I really believe that's going to eventually change for the better as LVE gains more experience.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The point was that this is how he was viewed. #WhySoSerious
Viewed as a guy who could cover a receiver, sure. He was and is fast and agile. But he was not viewed as a guy who can cover the entire field beyond the line of scrimmage by himself the way the picture and caption indicate. Nobody is viewed that way.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Viewed as a guy who could cover a receiver, sure. He was and is fast and agile. But he was not viewed as a guy who can cover the entire field beyond the line of scrimmage by himself the way the picture and caption indicate. Nobody is viewed that way.
Pretty sure it is a joke

Number1

Reaction score
IMO Jaylon is the most talented player on the Cowboys

he is a true prototype LB, with as much talent as any defensive player I can recall

but I'd have moved him to SS from day one - seriously I would have
that's what you do about Welker or Erntz - it's called "blast 'em"

6'4" 240 can push TEs around and cover slot WRs and I hear with 4.40 speed

want scare a QB, blitz this Jaylon off the edge

:) I believe in violent intent on defense :)

but the JJ and company just don't listen to me

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he is a true prototype LB, with as much talent as any defensive player I can recall

but I'd have moved him to SS from day one - seriously I would have
that's what you do about Welker or Erntz - it's called "blast 'em"

6'4" 240 can push TEs around and cover slot WRs and I hear with 4.40 speed

want scare a QB, blitz this Jaylon off the edge

:) I believe in violent intent on defense :)

but the JJ and company just don't listen to me

Unusual agility for a LB may not necessarily translate to the ability to play SS. DB's, including strong safeties, with his speed and agility are not unusual, but LBs with his speed and agility are. And he has the size to go with it. That's what makes him special at LB.

Wood

Reaction score
IMO Jaylon is the most talented player on the Cowboys but does not get the credit for everything that he does for the defense. He literally has no weaknesses....he's excellent against the run, in coverage, in space, pass rushing, great tackler, leadership and signature big play celebration lol. We are going to have to pay for his skill set at some point. Thoughts?

I don't understand this board. Its as if fans have given up on the team actually achieving real success and find bravado in cowboys players being highest paid.

Number1

Reaction score
Unusual agility for a LB may not necessarily translate to the ability to play SS. DB's, including strong safeties, with his speed and agility are not unusual, but LBs with his speed and agility are. And he has the size to go with it. That's what makes him special at LB.

he's blazing fast for even a SS, if that 4.40 is true ... plus he has 30-40 lbs on them
http://www.draftscout.com/players.php?GenPos=SS&DraftYear=2019&sortorder=TSXPos&order=ASC

and he's a better cover man than any S on this team (or Thornhill), and takes better angles

but frankly, I think he could also be an awesome hand on the ground edge too

this is heck of an athlete

note, with Jaylon at SS you could run a 4-2 all day

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Agreed. I love the guy, but highest paid in the league?

No. Not today.

And I'd also like to see some measure of thanks for him getting paid while he didn't play, and some measure of loyalty to the team for taking the risk that he could return from that injury.

Who knows how far he would have fallen had the Cowboys not stopped his slide? That should count for something.

I agree. I was going to point out that his rookie year with ZERO guarantee that he would ever come back from his injury he still got paid and didn't play or even practice a single down. When he got in and play in his 2nd year he was often still a step behind. and still got paid. Last year he played well but to state he should be the highest paid LB in the league now is just plain way way way to premature. He may make it playing wise to be considered for that in time, but a single year isn't enough to push him there yet.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
2 years ago most considered him a wasted draft pick. Now he should be the highest paid LB in the NFL?

:huh:

Genius Jerry strikes again.

One advantage Jaylon has come contract negotiation is that Jerry would *like* to make him the highest paid LB in the league, validating another Genius Jerry pick.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
he's blazing fast for even a SS, if that 4.40 is true ... plus he has 30-40 lbs on them
http://www.draftscout.com/players.php?GenPos=SS&DraftYear=2019&sortorder=TSXPos&order=ASC

and he's a better cover man than any S on this team (or Thornhill), and takes better angles

but frankly, I think he could also be an awesome hand on the ground edge too

this is heck of an athlete

note, with Jaylon at SS you could run a 4-2 all day

Big Nickel, with Jaylon playing like an in the box SS, blitzing or covering a TE in man like Byron used to do.

That's how we make the most out of Jaylon.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
Um Bobby Wagner is probably the best
Agreed, thank you!

I love Smith and the way he plays the game. He is a rising star and seems like a great young man that had to bust his butt off after that horrific injury, and it’s starting to pay off for him.

You guys are very fortunate to have him and LVE on your team.

As an outsider I’m not the biggest fan of Jerry Jones, but I don’t think he gets enough credit on hitting home runs on picking those 2 players.

Number1

Reaction score
IMO, the the magic will include Lee. Don't count Sean Lee out as a major factor on this team.

If can run in full stride w/o pulling up, no one has a better nose for the ball.

With decent DTs they'll be in a near full time 4-2, Lee will start at SLB, but in rotation all 3 of will may play MLB and WLB

I've always been amazed at what this D can do with serious DTs on the field, with little investment at DT, until now :)

It may sound extreme but I expect this defense to dominate most games. Mostly because of awesome LBs.