Jaylon Smith Sucks

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
It's not going to get any better. The guy thought he was never going to play again, and a few years later he signs a contract for enough money to make it so his grandkids never have to work. Smith got what he wanted, and now he's checked out.

black label

Reaction score
RGgukq5E6HBS5wvERDA3ZF4P2WKQy2VoZZet1QV2PyCNyerRHAdzM9ZBLcWjmdcRy31WSzRKeV1Rg6juGDfjBCHQ1Wsj7R3ySzpxyybMUgoouBWv4Ec3LKtxY2jEjJW

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
Man I wish we could go back and find the thread when we signed him to a massive contract.

I said he was an okay player, def not worthy of the contract. He had one awful year and one good year. 95 percent of others talked about how awesome Jaylon is- best lb in the league.

now he has two awful years and one good year.

Wait till we win a game and he'll be all world again. These "knee jerk" threads are childish........

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
It’s clear folks are catching on to what I’ve been seeing for a while.

Whether it be due to injury, instincts, preparation, mental, et cetera, Jaylon is simply not a very good linebacker.

It’s gotten to the point I can’t stop watching him when we’re on defense. I’m always wondering what ridiculous bonehead thing is he gonna do on this snap?

1. He’s absolutely useless in space. The idea of him serving as a spy against Josh Allen last week was just foolhardy.
  2. He’s weak at the point of attack. When he’s not getting totally washed out of plays he’s getting manhandled by blockers. One of the thankless jobs of a linebacker is to disrupt running lanes and take on blocks. He doesn’t do any of that.
  3. His instincts are crap. Some of the reads he makes are baffling. He doesn’t locate the ball well and has a penchant for biting HARD on play-action.
  4. He’s a liability in coverage. He’s got no lateral movement and teams know he’s a weak link in coverage. It was obvious and telling the Bears set out to attack him, throwing three straight passes at him.
  5. He’s technique poor. Watch him when he blitzes. He constantly launches/jumps into blockers which causes his pad level to go up and he loses all leverage and he’s stalemated. Or, when he’s coming down straight on a ball carrier he inexplicably goes high which makes him prone to whiffing as we’ve all seen. This is a NFL-caliber MLB?

:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

When is the last time you saw him shoot a gap and actually tackle a RB for no gain or a loss? LVE was doing that all the time last year....then...the change to Richard.....poof....

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He’s not healthy. The contract he got was actually a bargain for how he played last year. There’s some sources who say he took it now because he knew his knee was regressing. If we didn’t sign him until after this offseason we’re looking at maybe 5/6 million a year. Jaylon played it smart and the Cowboys got screwed.
His knee injury wasn't something that would regress, once healed. The structure of the knee is healed, and the nerve doesn't just deteriorate.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

When is the last time you saw him shoot a gap and actually tackle a RB for no gain or a loss? LVE was doing that all the time last year....then...the change to Richard.....poof....

The common image of Jaylon is him getting beaten on an angle he’s running from behind in pursuit.

When has Jaylon sniffed out a screen before it developed to blow it up?

When has he shown any anticipation and shot a gap to stop a ball carrier for a loss.

Love him/hate him, but Sean Lee did those things in his prime and has shown that on occasion this season. But the point is those are the type of instincts a special linebacker makes.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s clear folks are catching on to what I’ve been seeing for a while.

Whether it be due to injury, instincts, preparation, mental, et cetera, Jaylon is simply not a very good linebacker.

It’s gotten to the point I can’t stop watching him when we’re on defense. I’m always wondering what ridiculous bonehead thing is he gonna do on this snap?

1. He’s absolutely useless in space. The idea of him serving as a spy against Josh Allen last week was just foolhardy.
  2. He’s weak at the point of attack. When he’s not getting totally washed out of plays he’s getting manhandled by blockers. One of the thankless jobs of a linebacker is to disrupt running lanes and take on blocks. He doesn’t do any of that.
  3. His instincts are crap. Some of the reads he makes are baffling. He doesn’t locate the ball well and has a penchant for biting HARD on play-action.
  4. He’s a liability in coverage. He’s got no lateral movement and teams know he’s a weak link in coverage. It was obvious and telling the Bears set out to attack him, throwing three straight passes at him.
  5. He’s technique poor. Watch him when he blitzes. He constantly launches/jumps into blockers which causes his pad level to go up and he loses all leverage and he’s stalemated. Or, when he’s coming down straight on a ball carrier he inexplicably goes high which makes him prone to whiffing as we’ve all seen. This is a NFL-caliber MLB?
  6. He’s physically compromised. We all liked the story of his diligence and perseverance in coming back from the nerve damage. That story has ended. The elephant in the room is that he’s obviously compromised; he runs/jogs with a weird hitch or gate and is robotic in his movements at times.

Think he's become our Dak Prescott of our Defense.....

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
His knee injury wasn't something that would regress, once healed. The structure of the knee is healed, and the nerve doesn't just deteriorate.
Well the film is showing he can’t move nearly as well as last year. Maybe he’s playing injured. His change of direction, and burst is miles behind of what it was last season. There’s no way he chases down Watson this year(like he did last season).

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
The common image of Jaylon is him getting beaten on an angle he’s running from behind in pursuit.

When has Jaylon sniffed out a screen before it developed to blow it up?

When has he shown any anticipation and shot a gap to stop a ball carrier for a loss.

Love him/hate him, but Sean Lee did those things in his prime and has shown that on occasion this season. But the point is those are the type of instincts a special linebacker makes.

And the other thing I hated about the move was the obvious double A gap blitz that never works...because we telegraph it. Jaylon is horrible in the blitz up the middle. @ least when he was playing on the outside...you could disguise it...when he was coming....now when he steps ups...you know it's a blitz up the middle.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
And the other thing I hated about the move was the obvious double A gap blitz that never works...because we telegraph it. Jaylon is horrible in the blitz up the middle. @ least when he was playing on the outside...you could disguise it...when he was coming....now when he steps ups...you know it's a blitz up the middle.
He needs to move into the SAM role and maybe RDE in nickel next year. He’s too much of a liability out there in the middle. let LVE get healthy and play MLB and draft another solid LB for WLB.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I tried liking this guy, but im done. Hes trash.

Celebrating when down 17 points in the 4th quarter

Celebrating when a player is injured as a result of his “coverage”

Acting like he picked off a pass that he clearly didnt catch and knowing a tie goes to the receiver

Clear. Eye. Doo-doo

Dude got paid and is mailing it in now, just like everybody else.

Zordon

Reaction score
Here comes Hollywood Smith with the PR/CVE crap. This team is focused on everything but football.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
He’s not healthy. The contract he got was actually a bargain for how he played last year. There’s some sources who say he took it now because he knew his knee was regressing. If we didn’t sign him until after this offseason we’re looking at maybe 5/6 million a year. Jaylon played it smart and the Cowboys got screwed.

Exactly...……...a player NEVER comes to the org and offers to take a hometown discount after one good season. Of course Jerry was too stupid to see something was up.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I tried liking this guy, but im done. Hes trash.

Celebrating when down 17 points in the 4th quarter

Celebrating when a player is injured as a result of his “coverage”

Acting like he picked off a pass that he clearly didnt catch and knowing a tie goes to the receiver

Clear. Eye. Doo-doo

Yes! I right there with ya! I really wanted to like this kid.
But he is a fraud.
And I'm just talking about his play on the field.
He just recklessly runs around like a challenged young child.
We used to call'em Riddelin Raiders.
Even on the fumble recovery, he was just standing around the pile.
He's gotta be the worst tackler a LB in the league.
Woods and Awuzie sucked too.
Meanwhile, the Bears lose a LB and CB. Yet their backups played
better than our starters.

Okay, now I'm going to read this thread. I don't usually comment before reading the
whole thread but I saw this and thought, your title says it all.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I've been saying it all season, Jaylon is no middle LB. He's an outside LB. UDFA rookie Luke Gifford should be playing middle LB. Move Jaylon to one of the outside LB spots where he can focus only on one side of the field/flats, plus on occasion blitzing the QB or stopping the run to his side/edge.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
He needs to move into the SAM role and maybe RDE in nickel next year. He’s too much of a liability out there in the middle. let LVE get healthy and play MLB and draft another solid LB for WLB.

Sounds good on paper...but I think he will struggle in coverage as well. You saw it tonight.....he was absolutely clueless how to play a TE running up the seem. Had his back to the football...face guarding the whole time. I suspect that's how they are being "coached' up by Richard.