Jaylon Smith was on the field 98.01% of defensive snaps In 2020

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
People on the forum like to use this guy as a punching bag but he was on the field for 1,083 plays which is 98.01% of all defensive plays in 2020
The fact Smith is coming off the worst season of his once-promising NFL career, his career arc having gone from miraculous football comeback to Pro Bowler to questionable starter to unjustifiably arrogant backup-caliber linebacker in the span of only four seasons is why some fans feel the way they do pertaining to Jaylon.

Redline360

Reaction score
He is used incorrectly
Bad DL also plays a big part.

However

Lacks lateral movement
Has little to no football intuition
Rarely makes big plays
Not what an actual football organization would call a leader

He is average at best. Wasted contract. Waste of space on the field.

He got away with freak athletic ability in college before his injury simple as that

If hes on the field 98% of the time and hardly makes big or "splash" plays there's something seriously wrong. Either he doesn't understand the game at the professional level or is the unluckiest sob ever. Means he guesses wrong 90% of the time

Last edited:

Beaker42

Reaction score
I do think he's our best LB. Problem is, when LVE and Lee can't stay healthy there is no one way to give him a breather. Joe Thomas is adequate but beyond him it looks like a bunch of meh..
If he’s our best we’re ******.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Has he been poorly coached? Yes
Has he clearly been overworked? Yes
Is he actually good and does this excuse him from criticism? No
Is he good enough to be retained if we are to become a good or better D? No.

bigE79

Reaction score
He is used incorrectly
Bad DL also plays a big part.

However

Lacks lateral movement
Has little to no football intuition
Rarely makes big plays
Not what an actual football organization would call a leader

He is average at best. Wasted contract. Waste of space on the field.

He got away with freak athletic ability in college before his injury simple as that
To sum it up, he's a bum..and the sad part is,I really thought he'd be great after the 2018 season..him and ive can both get on with their life's work cause football ain't it..sad.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
People on the forum like to use this guy as a punching bag but he was on the field for 1,083 plays which is 98.01% of all defensive plays in 2020.

For the sake of comparison - DLaw was our highest ‘graded’ defensive player this year but was on the field for 667 plays which is 60.36%.

Imagine how much ‘fresher’ Jaylon would be if he played 400 less snaps.

You could make the argument that they play 2 different positions and DLaw in ‘in the trenches’ but Aldon Smith played 809 snaps which is 73.21%. Again, if Jaylon played in 200 less snaps - I think he’d be much more productive and fresh.

People actually want this guy cut even though coming into the season he was voted as the 88th best player in the nfl by his peers and 63rd the previous season.

Does he sometimes miss tackles, get blocked out of plays, and overrun plays? He certainly does, but he’s still a damn good player and I look forward to him improving in a new system & hopefully getting a breather every one in a while. I’d like to see what he can do by taking around ~800 snaps instead of almost 1100 (over 1200 if you include the 24% of special teams plays he’s on the field).

This is delusional. So a bad player is durable. Is that your point ? And more rest is not going to have any effect on his running away from opponents to avoid contact. Then add his misreads and ending up out of plays. The only advantage to him taking less snaps is to have a good player on the field instead of him. God, he is so bad sportswriters single out some of his most embarrassing plays.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
People on the forum like to use this guy as a punching bag but he was on the field for 1,083 plays which is 98.01% of all defensive plays in 2020.

For the sake of comparison - DLaw was our highest ‘graded’ defensive player this year but was on the field for 667 plays which is 60.36%.

You could make the argument that they play 2 different positions and DLaw in ‘in the trenches’ but Aldon Smith played 809 snaps which is 73.21%. Again, if Jaylon played in 200 less snaps - I think he’d be much more productive and fresh.

People actually want this guy cut even though coming into the season he was voted as the 88th best player in the nfl by his peers and 63rd the previous season.

Does he sometimes miss tackles, get blocked out of plays, and overrun plays? He certainly does, but he’s still a damn good player and I look forward to him improving in a new system & hopefully getting a breather every one in a while. I’d like to see what he can do by taking around ~800 snaps instead of almost 1100 (over 1200 if you include the 24% of special teams plays he’s on the field).
I could play injury free if I took myself out of 70% of the plays by turning my back to blockers, not shedding blocks or waiting for the ball carrier to run past me while I jumped on their back only to make an extra 4 or 5 yards before going down. He's an embarrassment to the LB position as a whole. His pass coverage is just as pathetic. Face it he has no lateral strength of movement when he moves which is what good/great LB's have to have to be an effective tackler. But the worst is he's not willing to actively engage a blocker or ball carrier unless he's falling on the pile and that probably has to deal with his concern about getting injured.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
This is delusional. So a bad player is durable. Is that your point ? And more rest is not going to have any effect on his running away from opponents to avoid contact. Then add his misreads and ending up out of plays. The only advantage to him taking less snaps is to have a good player on the field instead of him. God, he is so bad sportswriters single out some of his most embarrassing plays.
:hammer::hammer:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Booger called him the cornerstone of the defense; however, this was the worst defense in the NFL and in team history. His stats are about the number of tackles but where are they made?

We'll see how this develops because Quinn now has his D dependent on this cornerstone but let's be fair, that middle of the DL is soft and not adept at keeping the OL from getting to the second level. The only player that was cons

I don't know if it was the system, the system with too little prep or if the talent is really as bad as it looked.

I watched him play quite a bit at ND and he was all over the place including covering WR's downfield on one play and in the backfield on the next, he was a force in college. I do not know how much of this is the injury, and this is the best he's going to get with that, and how much is another player that couldn't take his college game to the pro level. I fist pumped when they picked him because I was watching that night he got injured and I really felt for him. I'd like him a lot better without the celebrating with ignorance to the game situation. Individual plays don't matter when the team has already lost the game.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Coaches did him zero favors by playing him so much regardless of who else was injured. It's the coaches job to find ways to get backups some snaps where they can succeed and Nolan failed not just with jaylon but all along the Dline, LB, and DB's.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
Running the wrong way, hitting the wrong gaps, avoiding contact, jumping on a pile late, or on a guys back 10 yards downfield does not equate to being an every down durable player to me.

Can't believe that you forgot....'Celebrating after every play regardless if it resulted in a negative or positive outcome for the team'! :D

quickccc

Reaction score

Jaylon is a durable punching bag … that's about the leading compliment you can see about Jaylon. Every since he's recovered enough from his knee injury, he's been in every
game and practically all game, every game and every year the past 3 years.

I thought once he'd be Lavarr Arrington type that could be a heat seeking missile upon impact. once he's running and colliding at a target.

you're telling about amount of snaps and reps … but you're not telling me about big plays, game changing plays, INTs, fumble strips, fumbles forced, blanket coverage, tackles for losses,
a guy that is making plays at or tackling behind the line instead of 5 and 7 yards on his side on the field.

A player that you have to scramble and scheme to hide his flaws and deficiencies.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Career totals for Jaylon Smith 2017-2020 (54 games)

498 Tackles (304 solo 194 assisted) 2 INT's 20 PD's 6 FF's 5 FR's 1 TD 9 Sacks 20 TFL's 15 QB Hits

Based on 2021 salary cap hit and position, Jaylon Smith would be similar to that of Jacksonville LB Joe Schobert.

Career Totals for Joe Schobert 2016-2020 (65 Games)

549 Tackles (336 solo 213 assisted) 9 INT's 24 PD's 9 FF's 3 FR's 1 TD 11 Sacks 21 TFL's 25 QB Hits

Interestingly though, if you look at what Tampa Bay linebacker Devin White has done in just 2 seasons it's pretty damn impressive compared to Jaylon Smith:

Career Totals for Devin White 2019-2020 (28 Games)

231 Tackles (155 solo 76 assisted) 1 INT 7 PD's 4 FF's 5 FR's 11.5 Sacks 19 TFL's 21 QB Hits

What's most impressive about White is that although clearly he is being used as a blitzing LB more than Jaylon Smith (or gets to the QB more often) look at his solo tackle percentage as part of his total tackles compared to Jaylon Smith: White's solo tackles account for 67.1% of his total tackles whereas Smith's solo tackles account for 61% of his total tackles. In 2020 alone, White had 140 total tackles and his solo tackles accounted for 64.3% of his total tackles whereas Jaylon Smith had 154 total tackles but his solo tackles accounted for 56.5% of his total tackles......which tells me that Jaylon Smith either can't make as many solo tackles thereby requiring help or Jaylon Smith is good at adding to the pile to accumulate tackle totals.
White was a top 5 pick and did not have a knee injury like Jaylon. Most importantly Jaylon can only dream about having Tampa’s front 7 and have a linebacker partner as good as David.

Kwyn

Reaction score
He played the most snaps on the worst unit on the defense on the worst D in the NFL and on most teams, the MLB should be getting the most snaps and tackles.

That said, he did play on the worst defense that struggled to get on the same page with the DC and was inconsistent. He had plenty of company.

He does need to save his energy for making plays and not celebrating.
That goes for all of them. LVE’s wolf call looks like unnecessary exertion to me :)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That goes for all of them. LVE’s wolf call looks like unnecessary exertion to me :)
This goes back to Lawrence wanting to nickname the DL "Hot Boyz" like they'd done something. The only reason that should have been used was the smoke circling around Gregory's head.

There's a real problem with this team, they think they've accomplished something being Dallas Cowboys. They've not earned any of the toys they have like the stadium, The Star and all the other accoutrements a champion gets.

They should have the woman that owned the Indians in "Major League" as an owner.

And it's not just them. I am tried of watching these players with their silly little secret society hand gestures for doing their job. Player makes a tackle and they have some prearranged goofy hand jive stiff and their down by 17 points.

Is this even about the team game of football anymore or posing for the camera? They act like a bunch of little boys.

Kwyn

Reaction score
This goes back to Lawrence wanting to nickname the DL "Hot Boyz" like they'd done something. The only reason that should have been used was the smoke circling around Gregory's head.

There's a real problem with this team, they think they've accomplished something being Dallas Cowboys. They've not earned any of the toys they have like the stadium, The Star and all the other accoutrements a champion gets.

They should have the woman that owned the Indians in "Major League" as an owner.

And it's not just them. I am tried of watching these players with their silly little secret society hand gestures for doing their job. Player makes a tackle and they have some prearranged goofy hand jive stiff and their down by 17 points.

Is this even about the team game of football anymore or posing for the camera? They act like a bunch of little boys.
You mean you don’t love the mad dash to the end zone camera anytime a unit makes a big play even if they are being pounded?

You’re right. It’s not Jaylen. This is the social media phenomenon. Everyone, all players, are told they have to control their brand. You even see it in regular run of the mill jobs where people are encouraged to “manage their brand”, what we used to call a “reputation”

so, the throat slash or glasses, the wolf call and camo wolf hunter gear, it’s all part of the new celebrity media

the_h0wey

Reaction score

3rd most tackles in the league this year *ducks for cover*

Cmac

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith playing 98.01% of defensive plays best explains why the Dallas defense sucked ***.
......and LVE/SLee playing less than 98.01% is factored in the defense sucks. LBs need help from the interior line and scheme....and few candidates that can be around the ball.

visionary

Reaction score

he shouldn’t even be on for 0.01 %