Jaylon Smith was on the field 98.01% of defensive snaps In 2020

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Watch these 7 plays in this one tweet and tell me how good he is. I’m sure this happened at 10 times the rate since these tweets seemed to pop up all the time

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
As per the threads header?
It would reasonably be deemed to of been detrimental in conjunction as to the parallels pertinent to the teams seasonal win vs. loss ratio( YES/NO)
* The intended structure of the messages intent is imperative in it's impact*

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I downloaded advanced stats from Pro Football Reference. Here is how he compares with other LBs:

Interceptions: Jaylon had 1. Jaylon was tied for 12th with 33 other LBs.
Completion %: Jaylon was targeted 59 times allowing 42 receptions 71.2% completion %. He ranked 31st (minimum 10 targets)
Yards Allowed: 438. Jaylon was 97th (minimum 10 targets)
Yards Per Target: 7.4. Ranked 76th (minimum 10 targets)
Touchdowns Allowed: 3 Tied for 90th with 8 other LBs (minimum 10 targets)
QB Rating: 102.2 Ranked 64th (minimum 10 targets)
Yards After Catch Allowed: 293 Tied for 102 with 1 other LB (minimum 10 targets)
Blitzed: 45 times - 43rd Most of any LB tied with 2 other LBs
QB Hurries: 1 Tied for 76th with 29 other LBs (minimum 10 blitz attempts)
QB Knock Downs: 2 Tied for 50th with 20 other LBs (minimum 10 blitz attempts)
Sacks: 1.5 Tied for 61st with 3 other LBs (minimum 10 blitz attempts)
QB Pressures: 5 Tied for 60th with 14 other LBs (minimum 10 blitz attempts)
Tackles: 154 2nd best
Missed Tackle %: 5.5% Tied for 19th best with 1 other LB (minimum 40 tackles)

Note: the minimums were put in place to help Jaylon's ratings and not hurt them. If I didn't use minimum his ratings would be lower. Here is a link to the raw numbers:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/defense_advanced.htm

Just putting the numbers out there with no commentary at this time.
:thumbup:

ItzKelz

Reaction score
People on the forum like to use this guy as a punching bag but he was on the field for 1,083 plays which is 98.01% of all defensive plays in 2020.

For the sake of comparison - DLaw was our highest ‘graded’ defensive player this year but was on the field for 667 plays which is 60.36%.

Imagine how much ‘fresher’ Jaylon would be if he played 400 less snaps.

You could make the argument that they play 2 different positions and DLaw in ‘in the trenches’ but Aldon Smith played 809 snaps which is 73.21%. Again, if Jaylon played in 200 less snaps - I think he’d be much more productive and fresh.

People actually want this guy cut even though coming into the season he was voted as the 88th best player in the nfl by his peers and 63rd the previous season.

Does he sometimes miss tackles, get blocked out of plays, and overrun plays? He certainly does, but he’s still a damn good player and I look forward to him improving in a new system & hopefully getting a breather every one in a while. I’d like to see what he can do by taking around ~800 snaps instead of almost 1100 (over 1200 if you include the 24% of special teams plays he’s on the field).
Jaylon has our most productive defensive player despite garbage coaching and schemes over the last 2 seasons. No one on our defense looked good last year but at least Jaylon could be counted on to produce despite coaching.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Bobby Wagner
DeMario Davis
Erick Kendricks
Neville Hewitt
Joe Schobert
Shaq Thompson
Alexander Johnson
Blake Martinez

ALL played the same or higher percentage of snaps than Jaylon.

Was their play impacted because of it?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I downloaded advanced stats from Pro Football Reference. Here is how he compares with other LBs:

Interceptions: Jaylon had 1. Jaylon was tied for 12th with 33 other LBs.
Completion %: Jaylon was targeted 59 times allowing 42 receptions 71.2% completion %. He ranked 31st (minimum 10 targets)
Yards Allowed: 438. Jaylon was 97th (minimum 10 targets)
Yards Per Target: 7.4. Ranked 76th (minimum 10 targets)
Touchdowns Allowed: 3 Tied for 90th with 8 other LBs (minimum 10 targets)
QB Rating: 102.2 Ranked 64th (minimum 10 targets)
Yards After Catch Allowed: 293 Tied for 102 with 1 other LB (minimum 10 targets)
Blitzed: 45 times - 43rd Most of any LB tied with 2 other LBs
QB Hurries: 1 Tied for 76th with 29 other LBs (minimum 10 blitz attempts)
QB Knock Downs: 2 Tied for 50th with 20 other LBs (minimum 10 blitz attempts)
Sacks: 1.5 Tied for 61st with 3 other LBs (minimum 10 blitz attempts)
QB Pressures: 5 Tied for 60th with 14 other LBs (minimum 10 blitz attempts)
Tackles: 154 2nd best
Missed Tackle %: 5.5% Tied for 19th best with 1 other LB (minimum 40 tackles)

Note: the minimums were put in place to help Jaylon's ratings and not hurt them. If I didn't use minimum his ratings would be lower. Here is a link to the raw numbers:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/defense_advanced.htm

Just putting the numbers out there with no commentary at this time.
Hmmmm, perhaps he should have been on the sideline 98% of the time.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Not much question Jaylon played badly this past season. He has played better in the past.

Here's what interests me. If Quinn plays the defense anticipated, there probably is room for either Jaylon or LVE at MLB, but not both. The system cries for an undersized, rangy OLB.

If Jaylon stays around another year, you're probably choosing between him and LVE in 2022.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
3rd most tackles in the league this year *ducks for cover*
The Break mentioned that the largest chunk of those tackles were assisted. He was way less in solo tackles.

As for the OP, playing 98% in one of the worst defences of all time with one of the worst DC's that didn't see how bad he is isn't anything to be proud of.

cern

Reaction score
As per the threads header?
It would reasonably be deemed to of been detrimental in conjunction as to the parallels pertinent to the teams seasonal win vs. loss ratio( YES/NO)
* The intended structure of the messages intent is imperative in it's impact*
Awesome post. Your thoughts on string theory?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
People on the forum like to use this guy as a punching bag but he was on the field for 1,083 plays which is 98.01% of all defensive plays in 2020.

For the sake of comparison - DLaw was our highest ‘graded’ defensive player this year but was on the field for 667 plays which is 60.36%.

Three bits of ridiculousness.

We were lucky Jaylon didn't get a big injury and simply cash in on his injury guarantees for the next two years.

I'd rather be done with him, but I grant he could have played better if they limited his snaps. Even if we want to keep him, he has a bum leg, and should be first on the list for snap reductions. Play Gifford and Bernard. Get them some development.

DLaw, the 20 Million Dollar Man, playing 60%. What? And Gregory not getting all the snaps he could either.

Meanwhile, Aldon Smith, the guy who hasn't played in 5 years and we don't own for next year, gets more snaps than DLaw and Gregory.

Clown Team.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Being on the field 98% of the time has nothing to do with him not sucking and has everything to do with our entire linebacking unit completely sucking. It’s in need of a complete overhaul, 54 included......he sucks.

streetcredit

Reaction score
The Break mentioned that the largest chunk of those tackles were assisted. He was way less in solo tackles.

As for the OP, playing 98% in one of the worst defences of all time with one of the worst DC's that didn't see how bad he is isn't anything to be proud of.
those guys destroyed him...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Running the wrong way, hitting the wrong gaps, avoiding contact, jumping on a pile late, or on a guys back 10 yards downfield does not equate to being an every down durable player to me.

But yet he was still one of the NFL’s top tacklers.

I bet you as well as many others don’t know enough about the defense to really know what his assignments were, and most of of those times you perceived he was in the wrong. When he actually had to cover for some DL not doing their job.

Cannibal_Cowboy

Reaction score
But yet he was still one of the NFL’s top tacklers.

I bet you as well as many others don’t know enough about the defense to really know what his assignments were, and most of of those times you perceived he was in the wrong. When he actually had to cover for some DL not doing their job.
You sir, have corrected us.
I would have never known that jumping on Tank's back 5 seconds after the play was dead and 5 yards away from the already gang-tackled ball carrier was actually his responsibility. At least, not until you enlightened us.

That is what ultimately separates the idiot "fans" like me from the knowledgeable ones such as yourself.

Keep up the good work!!!