Twitter: Jaylon Smith: "We need to simplify the playbook and scheme"

Sydla

Reaction score

Mosher, of course, ignores Nolan’s history. One of the criticisms of Nolan and why many of his more recent defenses were suspect is that his scheme was often too complicated.

So Mosher can take his dig at Smith but the reality is Smith is saying something that has been alleged before. Griffen just said a couple of days ago he’s going back to his three point stance, so already it seems the players don’t think Nolan is doing them any favors.

Granted not sure Smith should be airing this publicly.

IMO, when we look back I think we are going to end up admitting that Nolan was a questionable hire.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mosher, of course, ignores Nolan’s history. One of the criticisms of Nolan and why many of his more recent defenses were suspect is that his scheme was often too complicated.

So Mosher can take his dig at Smith but the reality is Smith is saying something that has been alleged before. Griffen just said a couple of days ago he’s going back to his three point stance, so already it seems the players don’t think Nolan is doing them any favors.

Granted not sure Smith should be airing this publicly.

IMO, when we look back I think we are going to end up admitting that Nolan was a questionable hire.

And similar criticisms have been made of Jaylon Smith as well. He's not considered one of the most "cerebral" of players either.

Maybe he needs to spend more time and effort studying that playbook?

After all, his own struggles predate Nolan getting here.

Praxit

Reaction score
.... I mean, what are they doing anyways, that looks so complicated? Jaylon probably is having a hard time getting it. But hey, if it will improve his game.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
When Jaylon Smith shows a willingness to actually do the dirty work that goes along with being a linebacker (stacking and shedding, violently filling gaps), instead of just wanting to run fast, I'll start to care about his opinion. He's the one overrunning and failing to diagnose. Package this turd with Tank for a bag of Doritos and be done.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Thing is Jaylon was playing poorly in a simple scheme. Don't get me wrong Jaylon is probably right, but he's the last one anybody wants to hear that from.

Sounds like a cluster**** going down on the defense.

Irrelevant sidenote to the topic: I thought Marvin Lewis would've been a good DC. Nolan never moved the needle for me.

Sydla

Reaction score
The easier the scheme ala Marinelli and Richard. The easier it is for opposing teams to know what you are running. At this point this defense just needs new players if they can't get it.

Problem is it's not just "these" players. His last two stints as DC both defenses were largely subpar to bad and some of the rumored criticisms were that Nolan's desire to be so multi-dimensional led to an overly complex defense (and guys playing out of position). We have seen Smith say this now. Griffen said a few days ago he's going back to putting his hand in the ground and no more 2 point stance. And there were examples from the Falcons game that some questioned such as a few plays, including a big first down before the half, where DeMarcus Lawrence was like 20 yards down field trying to help cover a WR.

I suspect there is a wide chasm between the boring, predictable stuff Richard was running and what Nolan is trying to do now. That's not an excuse for the players who need to play better but as I said elsewhere, I think we are likely going to look back on this a few years from now and realize we made a poor hire in Nolan.

Smith should be one of the last guys saying this stuff but the reality is what he's saying isn't exactly earthshattering when it comes to Nolan.