Twitter: Jaylon Smith: "We need to simplify the playbook and scheme"

BlueStar22

Reaction score
So I imagined this thread ended up bashing Jaylon and talking about how he hasn't played well. Turns out, Everson Griffin said the same thing and McCarthy agreed. Yall never consider the fact that Jaylon could be right. Simplification doesn't have dumb it down. It will mean little things like Griffin and Tank going back to their familiar 3 point stances and rushing the passer like they're used vs standing up. Simplifying the defense could mean, lets get back to letting our guys do what they do best. One thing that I admired about Parcells in his first year was he stuck with the 4-3 defense because we had 4-3 personnel. Why Mike Nolan didn't start with this idea is beyond me.

risco

Reaction score
Mosher, of course, ignores Nolan’s history. One of the criticisms of Nolan and why many of his more recent defenses were suspect is that his scheme was often too complicated.

So Mosher can take his dig at Smith but the reality is Smith is saying something that has been alleged before. Griffen just said a couple of days ago he’s going back to his three point stance, so already it seems the players don’t think Nolan is doing them any favors.

Granted not sure Smith should be airing this publicly.

IMO, when we look back I think we are going to end up admitting that Nolan was a questionable hire.
I don’t care what the scheme is; Jaylon Smith is a liability when he gets on the field. Scheme will not fix his problems. That injury did more damage than any of us want to accept.

risco

Reaction score
So I imagined this thread ended up bashing Jaylon and talking about how he hasn't played well. Turns out, Everson Griffin said the same thing and McCarthy agreed. Yall never consider the fact that Jaylon could be right. Simplification doesn't have dumb it down. It will mean little things like Griffin and Tank going back to their familiar 3 point stances and rushing the passer like they're used vs standing up. Simplifying the defense could mean, lets get back to letting our guys do what they do best. One thing that I admired about Parcells in his first year was he stuck with the 4-3 defense because we had 4-3 personnel. Why Mike Nolan didn't start with this idea is beyond me.
Well let me get this out now! The scheme will not fix Jaylon’s problem. He has been a liability. That knee injury was devastating.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Didn’t Smith go to ND? A difficult school
to get into. Have to be real smart, correct? I think the primary issue is a new scheme means extra work. The Flake would rather sell sunglasses and pump his brand.

RoboQB

Reaction score
This won't fit well with the narrative in this thread but it appears McCarthy was the first one who said to the press that we need to simplify somethings on the defense and then Smith was asked later about what McCarthy was saying and Smith just co-signed it. Smith didn't offer this up out of the blue.

A lie told a thousand times becomes the truth.
It adds up quickly in today's world.

Not a fan of Jaylon, but you've got it right here.

heir

Reaction score
To your point, there was no consideration that Jaylon heard this from his coach first and just repeated the talking points as players always do. One thing we know for sure is these players
A lie told a thousand times becomes the truth.
It adds up quickly in today's world.

Not a fan of Jaylon, but you've got it right here.
It's crazy how people overreact. As soon as I read the quote from Jaylon I was sure this came from the top and he was just repeating the same talking points. But the trashing went on and on. With that being said, he does need to find a way to play better, hopefully this helps.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
We need to get back to that simplified defense that made Sam Darnold so comfortable.

Jarntt

Reaction score
But as the discussion completely turned to scheme changes, Smith provided a different take on Friday.

I feel like they’ve made it fairly simple,” Smith said of the coaching staff. “I think everybody needs to just chill out. This is the third game coming up. We didn’t have too much of an offseason. We didn’t have a preseason. COVID presented us with a lot of different challenges.

DanA

Reaction score
So in other words he and others can't understand the scheme and need it simplified.....that is a red flag that certain members do not have the brain power to understand the scheme.

In other words the coaches said they're simplifying the playbook and Jaylon, the ultimate company man, is 100% positive about the change and is giving it his support. Just like he was 100% positive we would recover the onside kick.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
This version of the Cowboys staff needs to get it's bearings before they're able to coach this team into competing on an even level with the best.

They're just beginning to learn what they'll need to know to affect change in a manner to change the direction that the Cowboys are heading into.

The personnel they have yet to get sufficiently familiar with are very likely some months away from committing to info they need be be successful.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah I think fans are now trying to craft a narrative around Smith that isn't true (or at least wasn't true) pre-injury. If you go back and read the draft guides, almost all talked about him being an instinctual LB. I think the injury has, for a lack of a better word, ruined him.

I think it's a pretty simply analysis. The Cowboys took a massive risk on a kid with a serious injury hoping he'd recover enough to be the guy that people say in college before he got hurt. It didn't pay off as the injury has made him a different LB than he was in college (I also think making him a MLB was a mistake too but that's another discussion). It's also looking like they made a mistake in extending him when they did. Very Tyrone Crawford-esque right there.
Just read his scouting report again. Man, it simply has to be the injury that his making his play subpar. This dude has it all. Maybe he can learn to play w/o his excessive greased up athleticism?

lukin2006

Reaction score
What a waste of a 2nd on J Smith. We got to quit wasting good picks on projects like him...he needs to be let go...or trade him to Detroit. They are desperate.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
Just read his scouting report again. Man, it simply has to be the injury that his making his play subpar. This dude has it all. Maybe he can learn to play w/o his excessive greased up athleticism?
The only recourse for getting anything of value from #54 without hurting the D is to relegate him to a sub package blitzing/pass rushing role, 20-25 snaps per game. Otherwise he's a complete waste on the team.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I realize there context to this.

but Jaylon needs to say. “I need to play better period”. I don’t give a damn what the scheme is.