Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
http://www.stltoday.com/sportsBuck might get double duties
By Dan Caesar
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH​
07/02/2006

buck235aikman070206story.jpg

Joe Buck (left) could be working on Fox's NFL pregame show this year as well as doing the play-by-play of the network's lead game each week with Troy Aikman (right).
(Courtesy Fox Network)

Joe Buck wears many hats at Fox. He's the lead play-by-play announcer for its Major League Baseball and NFL telecasts, he has filled in as a studio host and he even has broadcast fishing and horse racing for the network.

But he could don a double-billed cap this fall, serving as the full-time host of the NFL pregame show as well as calling Fox's top NFL game.

Fox is seeking a replacement for James Brown, who has left "Fox NFL Sunday" to move to CBS' "NFL Today" pregame program. Among the possibilities is to have Buck host the show, which would originate from the site of the game Buck is broadcasting. Another possibility would be to have him leave the booth for the studio.

"He's one of the options we're considering," Fox spokesman Dan Bell said. "It's still very much and on-going process."

Buck said he would be interested in the dual role.

"It would be a lot of work, but I think it would be manageable," Buck said. "For anybody who does play-by-play, you better have a pretty good feel for what's going on in the league. I like to think I have a bigger focus than just the game I'm doing. It's under the same roof, just a different role if it works out.

"I think it would be something that could be a lot of fun; however, it's all speculation at this point. If it could work out, I wouldn't be opposed to it. But at this point that's a big 'if.' This is really something that has been brought up recently; certainly, it isn't anything that has been in the works for a long time."

And he stressed that there are many other candidates for the job. Among the names being mentioned are Fox's Jeanne Zelasko, Pam Oliver, Curt Menefee and Chris Myers, as well as ESPN's John Saunders. If one of them land the job, it probably would remain a traditional studio presentation rather than a traveling road show.

"They've had a list (of candidates) from Abraham Lincoln to you name it," Buck said. "We still have to hammer out a lot of details."

He said an expanded role probably would be tied to a new contract. His deal expires after the NFL season, and he said he has been slow on negotiating an extension because he wants to make sure Fox continues televising Major League Baseball. Its pact is up after this year, and Buck wants to continue broadcasting the sport "as long whoever owns the rights wants me to do it."

"I think we're putting first things first and making sure we work on the bigger picture" of a contract, he added. "I want to make sure everything (with baseball) is buttoned up, I don't want to take myself out of any markets. That's kind of why this has all been sitting here and kind of stuck in neutral. Anything I do with Fox beyond this year is still up in the air. I want to be back, I think they want me back. This (added NFL duties) could be a part of it, if they definitely want it and we can agree on it."

He would fit in well with the irreverent approach often taken on the Fox show, which features Terry Bradshaw, Howie Long and Jimmy Johnson.

Buck admitted he can be "goofy. ... I like to have fun and I think there's room for it. But I think it's dangerous to talk about it too much because there's nothing there yet."

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I like the John Saunders or Chris Myers ideas better.

So do I.......I'm not that crazy about Joe Buck.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I like the John Saunders or Chris Myers ideas better.
Anyone but Joe Buck. Though on the pre-game show he may get to kiss Jimmy's *** as much he does Troy.

JonCJG

Reaction score
I love me some Pam Oliver..... agree with ogt anyone but buck.

MONT17

Reaction score
Pam Oliver is the Halle Berry of Football.... Joe Buck doesnt even like Football and I think he swings from the other side of the plate... not that there is anything wrong with that!!!

I have the Chargers game on tape and BUCK says something and then Aikman says the opposite!!! Buck was talikng about how BREES practice throwing with his eyes closed because he is not a "BIG BODY QB" (his words)... Aikman said he is 6-4 and when u have OL like FLO who is 6-7 u cant see anyway if u dont find lanes!!!

Also on a center exchange fumble Buck called BLEDSOE Quincy Carter... Aikman said it was Air Johnsons playng like he was free ballin!!!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MONT17 said:
Pam Oliver is the Halle Berry of Football.... Joe Buck doesnt even like Football and I think he swings from the other side of the plate... not that there is anything wrong with that!!!
He's married and has 2 daughters.

Joe is an okay baseball announcer and he's not horrible at football. There is such a thing as too much of a guy though. He's fine in the booth with Aikman. Leave him there or let him take over for Bud Selig as MLB Commissioner.

I am not in agreement at all about Pam Oliver. She's a great sideline reporter, maybe the best there is, but Halle Berry? I prefer to listen to her than look at her. I call her The Forehead. If she's on camera I can't look at anything else. It sticks out like a billboard. She could sell advertising space on that thing. Love to listen to her, would prefer not to have to look at her.

John Saunders already has some NFL studio time. He makes the most sense to me. Chris Myers is okay.

The only thing I'd like about Joe Buck getting the gig is that I could see and hear more of Aikman. I don't agree with the sentiments of many on this forum. I think he's one of the most interesting guys out there.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I am not in agreement at all about Pam Oliver. She's a great sideline reporter, maybe the best there is, but Halle Berry? I prefer to listen to her than look at her. I call her The Forehead. If she's on camera I can't look at anything else. It sticks out like a billboard. She could sell advertising space on that thing. Love to listen to her, would prefer not to have to look at her.

John Saunders already has some NFL studio time. He makes the most sense to me. Chris Myers is okay.

The only thing I'd like about Joe Buck getting the gig is that I could see and hear more of Aikman. I don't agree with the sentiments of many on this forum. I think he's one of the most interesting guys out there.

:lmao: Man, you and I think alike on that one Hos :D

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:

I like Aikman's broadcasting. He just don't say somethnig and leave you hanging. He usually explains things more than most. And it makes sense. Like some guys just spits out what ever crap comes out (like Theisman).

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
if joe buck takes over he has to have a giant aikman picture behind him so he can gaze up at it longingly from time to time, thing it would make him more comfy.

calico

Reaction score
Anyone BUT John Saunders. I can't stand the guy and the agendas he pushes in his coverage of college football. I about wanted to smash my TV everytime he tried to push a certain team to the public as a NC contender before they lost several times.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
I always though 5-head Pam looked a little too much like a horse to be attractive. But to compare to Halle ? Not even close.

pamoliver.jpg

With some Packers Fan.

I wouldnt mind Buck at all, better than some other people they could have, Bob Costas, Bryant Gumbel, etc.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Pam Oliver is only in the NFL because she is some serious eye candy. Some of the questions she asks players really do perpetuate the stereotype of women not knowing anything about football.....

I still remember her asking Emmitt Smith years ago if Dallas intended to come out and play better in the second half of a game they were trailing at halftime :bang2:

J-DOG

Reaction score
calico said:
Anyone BUT John Saunders. I can't stand the guy and the agendas he pushes in his coverage of college football. I about wanted to smash my TV everytime he tried to push a certain team to the public as a NC contender before they lost several times.
I know what you're talking about.
Last year he was bemoaning about how Virginia Tech should be ranked #2 instead of Texas.
Also was pushing for Marques Vick to win the Heisman at one point.
One thing I can't stand is studio host's who show thier bias towards one team or players(Berman and Irvin).
I still like Irvin but his loyalty to TO no matter what, was tough to watch at times.
I like Buck and think he would be good as a studio host.
I do not like the idea that they would have a traveling road show every week though.
If those are the only guys that Fox are considering then they should look for more.
Out of those guys listed the only one who fits is Buck in my opinion.

Big D

Reaction score
Where are her hips?

:lmao2:

Hey Dr 90210 , Do they have a transplant for those?