JC: A closer look at Tyler Smith's performance at Left Tackle vs Steelers

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
JC Cowboys breaks down tape on Tyler Smith's performance at Left Tackle once Tyler Guyton got injured and Smith moved over to LT against the Steelers.

JC Cowboys agrees with some of us. Tyler Smith needs to remain at Left Tackle while Tyler Guyton needs to move over to Right Tackle. Those positions are both players' natural positions back in college.

What say you?

:popcorn:

cmoney23

Reaction score
JC Cowboys breaks down tape on Tyler Smith's performance at Left Tackle once Tyler Guyton got injured and Smith moved over to LT against the Steelers.

JC Cowboys agrees with some of us. Tyler Smith needs to remain at Left Tackle while Tyler Guyton needs to move over to Right Tackle. Those positions are both players' natural positions back in college.

What say you?

I've said it since his rookie year, Tyler Smith is the Left Tackle for this team. Guyton impressed me in camp and during preseason, but he is very raw. I said it from the jump, I would have rather seen Tyler Smith, Cooper Beebe, Brock Hoffman, Zack Martin, and Steele/Guyton on the line this year. I think this is the, at the moment, the best 5 guys, playing their best positions. But this coaching staff and FO consistently screw things up.

NOW, with that said, I do think Guyton has LT potential. He is so raw and is very good. He could develop, but I don't think you need to have him at LT. He could save you a ton of cash replacing Steele.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Even if tyler smith starts at left tackle, right tackle is a problem. Steele will be a goner next year
He won't be. His entire 2025 salary was guaranteed in March. The Cowboys aren't going to pay him $18 million not to play. Instead, they might restructure to lower his cap hit, then they could still cut him the next year at a cap savings. Best we could do is try to trade Steele for whatever we can get. His new team would then pay his base, which leaves us with a much more palatable cap hit.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Picking late in the draft makes things difficult though. Kind of have to trust your board there.

Yeah but the issue is. They felt compelled like they had to draft a tackle because they didn’t sign anyone. The FO does it quite a bit. Leaves gaping holes at certain spots that they then force picks.

We saw it with guyton, with schoonmaker and with kelvin joseph.

rambo2

Reaction score
The cowboys front office forced the pick at LT.

They force picks often. They tend to be one of the better drafting teams so they get a pass for it. But it’s poor strategy.
Check out the tackle that the Chiefs drafted. Check out Mims who went ahead of Guyton. Then go back and look at Guyton.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I agree Smith should be the LT. Dallas can flip Guyton over to RT and get out from under Steele's contract next year.

Assuming Zack Martin retires the 2025 line could be LT Tyler Smith, LG Brock Hoffman, C Cooper Beebe, RG T.J. Bass, and RT Tyler Guyton. Or maybe Hoffman is the center and they move Beebe to a guard spot but that's a separate topic.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Check out the tackle that the Chiefs drafted. Check out Mims who went ahead of Guyton. Then go back and look at Guyton.

Why would I do any of that? I’m not saying Guyton will be a bad player. I’ve said multiple times that I think he will be good.

I’m talking about the fact that the cowboys forced the pick at LT.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

What say you?

I'll let the staff make that call. Although, I know that many fans are much more qualified to do so....;);)

fivetwos

Reaction score
He won't be. His entire 2025 salary was guaranteed in March. The Cowboys aren't going to pay him $18 million not to play. Instead, they might restructure to lower his cap hit, then they could still cut him the next year at a cap savings. Best we could do is try to trade Steele for whatever we can get. His new team would then pay his base, which leaves us with a much more palatable cap hit.
Someone is finally getting it. Thanks….!

Anyone who thinks these clowns will admit a mistake before doubling down on their own dumb decision hasn’t been paying attention.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I'll let the staff make that call. Although, I know that many fans are much more qualified to do so....;);)

It’s certainly very telling that. As soon as Guyton got hurt. The coaching staff didn’t even bother putting in any of the other tackles on the team and went straight to moving Tyler.

rambo2

Reaction score
Why would I do any of that? I’m not saying Guyton will be a bad player. I’ve said multiple times that I think he will be good.

I’m talking about the fact that the cowboys forced the pick at LT.
He went right where people had him rated.