JC: A closer look at Tyler Smith's performance at Left Tackle vs Steelers

HungryLion

Reaction score
He went right where people had him rated.

You clearly don’t understand what I’m saying.

The cowboys went into the draft planning to take a tackle. Before even seeing how the board fell. They were taking a tackle because they had to. Because they had a gaping hole at tackle they didn’t bother filling in free agency.

It has nothing to do with guyton or who he is as a player. I’m talking about the front office’s strategy. They draft for need sometimes and make picks for need.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It’s certainly very telling that. As soon as Guyton got hurt. The coaching staff didn’t even bother putting in any of the other tackles on the team and went straight to moving Tyler.
It is, they made the right call.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You need to remove the B from Bass's name... it describes his play perfectly.
Sounds like fun! We'd have, money23, oogi, isen, azzcat, anching, eality, lacowpoke, ate dizzle, habazz.......add some more.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah but the issue is. They felt compelled like they had to draft a tackle because they didn’t sign anyone. The FO does it quite a bit. Leaves gaping holes at certain spots that they then force picks.

We saw it with guyton, with schoonmaker and with kelvin joseph.
Yeah but the thing is….they don’t have to. They had Ferguson and Hendershot so I don’t get they had to. They didn’t with Joseph either. Guyton may have been different they may have felt they needed a tackle….

What position should they have addressed? I sort of thought it was always lineman that late in the draft…they traded down for Guyton and Beebe for one pick…..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
JC Cowboys breaks down tape on Tyler Smith's performance at Left Tackle once Tyler Guyton got injured and Smith moved over to LT against the Steelers.

JC Cowboys agrees with some of us. Tyler Smith needs to remain at Left Tackle while Tyler Guyton needs to move over to Right Tackle. Those positions are both players' natural positions back in college.

What say you?

:popcorn:

I totally agree. Put the best 5 out there. Steele is cooked. He has zero lateral mobility. And unfortunately I read somewhere his 2025 salary was now guaranteed...

But he needs to be benched

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I totally agree. Put the best 5 out there. Steele is cooked. He has zero lateral mobility. And unfortunately I read somewhere his 2025 salary was now guaranteed...

But he needs to be benched
the best 5 probably means guyton is on the bench for a while at least

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yeah but the thing is….they don’t have to. They had Ferguson and Hendershot so I don’t get they had to. They didn’t with Joseph either. Guyton may have been different they may have felt they needed a tackle….

What position should they have addressed? I sort of thought it was always lineman that late in the draft…they traded down for Guyton and Beebe for one pick…..

But man. The cowboys draft show and like
Almost of the cowboys beat reporters were talking about the cowboys targeting those positions during the draft.

Then the cowboys miss out on drafting surtain in round one and then all of a sudden select Joseph in round two because they missed a CB in round
One.

The schoonmaker draft. The cowboys were targeting La Porta at TE. They didn’t get
Him. So they turn around and take Schoon in round two when lots of people called it a reach.

Like I said. The cowboys FO overall drafts well. But it could be even better if they would stop
Forcing picks at certain positions.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Noone wants to give players any time these days. Guyton will be a good LT, but he's not going to dominate out the gate. Tyler is going to be a great guard.

CowboysLegend365

Reaction score
I’m on board to move Tyler to LT and Guyton to RT. But we need to draft another guard. Bass is absolute garbage.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Steele has been carried by Martin his entire career. To be honest.
I know people don't trust PFF but his run block grade in 2024 is 82.3 which is 8th among 112 tackles.
I have a hard time believing that's because Martin is carrying him - Steele has consistently ranked that high as a run blocker when he has been healthy.

Steele - 82.3

Other OL run block grades by comparison:
Guyton - 52.5
Smith - 72.2
Martin - 77.2
Beebe - 58.4

And I know you are questioning PFF now, but I'll send you the top 10 OL in run block grade this year and you can tell me if you think they are pretty darn good run blockers.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Even if tyler smith starts at left tackle, right tackle is a problem. Steele will be a goner next year
No he won’t. Will yall please go look at his contract before you keep making these asinine posts about Steelers future. That rt spot is his the next two years

sbark

Reaction score
Ok what jumped out to me on the very 1st clip is Leupke blocking someone while bass whiffs. Hats off to Leupke, good job!
Good spot
Luepke showing up on the radar in key spots pretty often...
A quiet assasin..

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
If Guyton plays at LT moving forward after this, we know 2025 is the goal, not this year. It will be telling.

Creeper

Reaction score
Smith is much stronger than Guyton in the upper body. That's what I see on this video. If Guyton can add strength in the offseason he has the potential to be as good as Tyler Smith. It is up to him how hard he works to improve.