Twitter: Jeff Darlington: Elliott deal is "getting done"

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't get it. What is the big difference? Both under contract, both held out for extensions. Emmitt and Zeke did the same thing; one of them just decided if was in his best interest to do it a year earlier.
It sets the wrong precedent. What if LVE holds out next year for top league positional pay, even though he will still be under contract for several years? Will you be ok with that? What if other players start holding out early and demanding similar compensation since the Cowboys suddenly did it for Zeke? Will you be ok with that?

Brax

Reaction score
They were 3-5 with Dak as well... just saying.
It's never Dak's fault, his poor yardage passing and low point offense leadership doesn't count for those 8 games, "it's not Dak's fault" once you understand that you will know AC's answer to anything Dak related.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Sorry, Coach, but I disagree. The Cowboys were 3-5 the first half of 2018 WITH ZEKE. Also, Zeke didn't do anything in the Rams playoff game loss when it mattered most. Couldn't even convert a game-costing crucial 4th & 1 conversion attempt needed at the Rams 30 yard line to help tie the game.

Blaming Zeke for the Rams loss?!?!

Check with Marinelli on that one...

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
See Emmitt in 93.
That was Emmitt's last year under contract. Zeke still has 2 years left. Not hard to understand. Pay Zeke now, others will soon start demanding new contract and top pay with years still left on their current one. If the Jones don't give in, those players will hold out. You ok with that?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Don’t be surprised when he is on a plane. He has a charity with Dak he is supposed to attend so he will be coming back for a minute. We will see. I don’t like him forcing or trying to force a contract before the rookie deal is done. Neither will the NFL. Any player labeled as special at there position will start getting advice from there agent to do this now. Hoping the new CBA addresses this.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Emmitt wasn't under contract

I swear, I can remember Emmitt saying it wasn't a hold out because
he didn't have a contract.

Thanks for posting. I thought I was losing my mind... lol

Swanny

Reaction score

I was just discussing this with someone on this site. Some sites show he was still under contract. He was not. You can find quotes from Emmitts agent talking about how he was a restricted FA but nobody offered Emmitt anything because they knew the Cowboys would match any offer. Back then there was no FA like there is today.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
That was Emmitt's last year under contract. Zeke still has 2 years left. Not hard to understand. Pay Zeke now, others will soon start demanding new contract and top pay with years still left on their current one. If the Jones don't give in, those players will hold out. You ok with that?

So what? That old contract is dead.

Let it go man. There is no justice in this world.

Zekes new deal will make him very rich.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
If Zeke isn't the highest paid RB in the league, than I would say Dallas won the negotiations. Zeke was holding out to be the highest paid back in the league. Reports are, it's less than Gurley, so therefore not the highest paid back. I would be happy if Zeke is signed for less than 14 million a year.

I get your point but if the contract isn't highest paid than Cowboys won.

I don’t know if Zeke was holding out to be the highest paid RB as much as he was holding out for more than the $3.8 million or so he was scheduled to make.

glimmerman

Reaction score

Your right. Even JJ said it was a odd situation with the cap starting and figuring things out and ES didn’t have a contract and was likely wanting a big contract. He deserved it. He could probly still run behind this line.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Off topic, but Emmitt had completed his 3rd year, just like Zeke.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/emmitt-smith-13657/cash-earnings/

And he was underpaid.
Once again, Emmitt held out during his last year under contract as many others have. Zeke's is totally different because he still has 2 more years left. By Jerry giving in, it sends the message that it's ok for others to start doing the same.

Once again, will you be ok with others doing the same from now on?

Btw, Zeke has nothing to complain about. The one drastically underpaid for his performance up-to-date is Dak, yet he never held out.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Correct. Zeke is a great player no doubt but I have notice that players that some like will never call out the negatives. When it's a player they don't like they call out every negative they can find with no positives. Zeke is a guy that never does anything wrong to some when in fact he has cost us games. Fumbles and running out of bounds against Seattle, not trying to tackle a guy after a pick, Denver game with 8 yards rushing, Rams game, list goes on. He has won is games too though.

Facts are that Dak is the most important player on the team followed by Cooper, Tyron Smith, Lawrence, Jones and LB duo of Jaylon and Leighton before Zeke
You're funny.