Twitter: Jeff Darlington: Elliott deal is "getting done"

glimmerman

Reaction score
And honestly, until we see the contract it's hard to even know if Dallas is caving or not.

Frankly, you may never know who actually caved. If Elliott and his agent really thought he was get more than Gurley, if they take less, then you could argue they caved. Maybe they thought Jerry would have buckled way before this and realized that there was a good chance Jerry was going to start the season without Elliott. Or maybe Dallas is hitting their sweet spot number here all along. We just don't know.
Like you said with gurly getting that contract first and then bell getting less they had to know that the market is going down. So more than bell is a win for Elliot.

Sydla

Reaction score
Like you said with gurly getting that contract first and then bell getting less they had to know that the market is going down. So more than bell is a win for Elliot.

Well he should get more than Bell. So it's not quite a win for him getting something he probably should have gotten anyway.

Like if this contract has $30MM in guarantees, that's not exactly a huge win considering Bell's is $27MM whereas Gurley has a whopping $45MM.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Well he should get more than Bell. So it's not quite a win for him getting something he probably should have gotten anyway.

Like if this contract has $30MM in guarantees, that's not exactly a huge win considering Bell's is $27MM whereas Gurley has a whopping $45MM.
Guessing it’s in the 40 range. He signs it then it will be good money.

InTheZone

Reaction score
We shall see.

If Zeke signs this is the most talented Cowboys team this century.
Never forget this by the end of 2019, heads will have to roll for sure within the players and management/coaching (no excuses for pets) if we fail.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

He's scheduled to make $3 million this season, has 2 years remaining on a his contract, and (according to some) "has no leverage", so $30 million or more from that position says the holdout worked for him.

Dallas wants to keep him, so an extension works for them.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If we give him over $40MM in guaranteed money that's ridiculous.

I am hoping this thing is no more than mid-$30M in guarantees.
Depends on if it’s 4 years or 5. 5 years and 40 million would be ok. As much in a bonus as possible. With clauses if he is suspended he is to return a portion. And makes the contract void.

Sydla

Reaction score
He's scheduled to make $3 million this season, has 2 years remaining on a his contract, and (according to some) "has no leverage", so $30 million or more from that position says the holdout worked for him.

Dallas wants to keep him, so an extension works for them.

The hold out didn't work if he asked for more than Gurley hoping he could at least get like $37MM guaranteed.

And that's why we won't really know if Elliott really got what he wanted or not or the Cowboys got what they wanted or not (well unless it's extreme, like he gets more than Gurley got in guaranteed money or barely more than Bell).

Sydla

Reaction score
Depends on if it’s 4 years or 5. 5 years and 40 million would be ok. As much in a bonus as possible. With clauses if he is suspended he is to return a portion. And makes the contract void.

Would all depend on how the contract is loaded. $40MM in guarantees that has us sucking on his contract if we wanted out in 3 years? That's a problem for me.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Want him traded. Unacceptable behavior .....

If Landry was the HC, he would have been traded already. Same if it was Belichick

:cool:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Would all depend on how the contract is loaded. $40MM in guarantees that has us sucking on his contract if we wanted out in 3 years? That's a problem for me.
Depends on when the contract starts. If new money don’t start till after the 2 years then we could be stuck. If it starts at signing then it’s like a 2 or 3 year deal.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It sets the wrong precedent. What if LVE holds out next year for top league positional pay, even though he will still be under contract for several years? Will you be ok with that? What if other players start holding out early and demanding similar compensation since the Cowboys suddenly did it for Zeke? Will you be ok with that?
You seem to be talking about two separate issues here.

I don't see why a player holding out after his 3rd year sets a "bad precedent" that holding out after the 4th year doesn't, and you haven't really addressed that.

The second seems to be that you think the Cowboys actually making new offers in response to the holdout sets a bad precedent because players will see that holding out is effective. I don't have an opinion on that one except it's all part of the business: teams and players try to gain leverage in negotiation with the tools they have available to them. Zeke had leverage and used it. The fact that the Cowboys made a better offer demonstrates that. Other players may or may not have as much leverage. My being "ok with that" is completely irrelevant; it's the way the business is set up.

Plankton

Reaction score
Absolutely wrong. Emmitt Smith held out during the last year of his rookie contract, NOT WITH 2 YEARS LEFT.

The more you try to cover up for this greedy RB, the more ignorant you Zeke supporters sound.

Actually, Emmitt Smith was a restricted free agent in 1993. He was not under contract when he missed the first two games of the season.

Plankton

Reaction score
I don't get it. What is the big difference? Both under contract, both held out for extensions. Emmitt and Zeke did the same thing; one of them just decided if was in his best interest to do it a year earlier.

The big difference is that Emmitt Smith wasn't under contract. He was an RFA.

Brax

Reaction score
I never said Dak was a bad QB. You make throughout the playoffs sound like Dallas went far. They didnt. He should be putting up great numbers more times than not because of the supporting cast. Kinda like Zeke does with his "running" line. Zeke has a bad game because he is keyed on the most. Dak has a bad game and its everyone elses fault. A big part of Daks job should be to exploit what the defense is giving him. You dont see that near as much as you would like. With that said, I do think he is solidly consistent. The game/time of possession management has been really good with him. If Dak made as many plays as excuses he gets here then he would be as good as Zeke in respect to his position to be honest.
remember with @America's Cowboy it is never ever Dak's fault, all that sniffing has damaged his objectivity.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The big difference is that Emmitt Smith wasn't under contract. He was an RFA.
Ah, that's correct; I'd forgotten that. The person I was replying to also had, saying "Emmitt held out with 1 year left on his rookie contract." But yes, they are different situations for this reason.

losersgetcute

Reaction score
Oh boy. The "years left on the contract bs"

This is the norm for players who outperform their deals. You get a new deal done.

There is a precedent throughout this league for that.
#4 pick running backs are supposed to lead the league. Zeke already got paid off the bat, unlike Demarco Murray who deserved to be resigned for more than Zeke demands IMO....he didnt shove security guards on his downtime.