Jerry’s bad timing

Sydla

Reaction score
Sorry, BH, but I disagree on Garrett. Garrett has surrounded himself with a good bunch of coaches. Plus, Garrett finally got rid of Linehan and is willing to truly amp up the playbook with the promotion of Kellen Moore. Even the WRs are loving the new change in playcalling, plus the new tweaks in plays. The players like and respect Garrett, plus all of our Boys leaders absolutely love him. They all will battle for their head coach. That speaks volumes. Garrett has had 3 years in a row of winning seasons, plus 2 NFC East crowns, 2 trips to the playoffs, along with 1 playoff victory and 2 separate playoff games of ending within a score in each from advancing to the NFC Conference Championship Game. That is pretty darn good results, so I honestly don't get anyone wanting to get rid of Garrett.

If you or others personally don't like Garrett, that's fine. It's your right. But...I strongly believe it would be a huge mistake getting rid of a head coach whom Jerry and this organization has invested so much time into and molded into what we are now starting to see as a yearly consistent winning head coach of the Dallas Cowboys who has surrounded himself with some very good coaches, a Top 5 NFL scouting department, have consistently drafted well to rebuild the team and made it one of the youngest and most talented teams in the league. It's crazy wanting to disrupt what is now coming to fruition. Coach Garrett needs to stay. He's earned it.

How much longer do we need to wait until we see the results? This is the question I ask when people keep saying we need to be patient.

He's been here 8 full seasons. The roster has turned over, he's churned through assistants. Why should be we expect that "now" is the time when he puts it together? Why does he now have the right mix to win?

Are we supposed to now wait 2-3 more years to figure this out? In other words, many people and the Cowboys themselves think they have an elite, SB caliber roster. How do you continue with him as head coach if 2019 is a non-playoff year or we again spit the bit in the playoffs and don't get beyond the divisional round?

Sydla

Reaction score
How do you know? Do you have proof or are you simply opining on what you want to believe happened?

Read the news reports. It's pretty clear who made the call on Linehan and Moore.

Garrett came out in January and said that he expected no changes to the staff. 5 hours later, yes, 5 hours later, he gives another interview and states that no decisions have been made on the assistants and he "can't recall" what he said earlier in the day.

Two days later, Jerry goes on radio and says no decision has been made on the assistants and he would know because he's the one who is making the decision. Two days after that, Linehan got canned.

Moore gets hired about 2 weeks later and it's reported that Moore has been given free reign and basically reports to Jerry.

kskboys

Reaction score
Read the news reports. It's pretty clear who made the call on Linehan and Moore.

Garrett came out in January and said that he expected no changes to the staff. 5 hours later, yes, 5 hours later, he gives another interview and states that no decisions have been made on the assistants and he "can't recall" what he said earlier in the day.

Two days later, Jerry goes on radio and says no decision has been made on the assistants and he would know because he's the one who is making the decision. Two days after that, Linehan got canned.

Moore gets hired about 2 weeks later and it's reported that Moore has been given free reign and basically reports to Jerry.
Which gives me a ray of hope in an otherwise bleak coaching situation.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

So how does this mean Garrett had no say so in the coaching changes matter? Where's your concrete proof? Or is it more guessing? You've been guessing Dak sucks and would not become the team's franchise QB, yet you've been proven wrong. Why should I believe any more of your opinions?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Well, there is that comment Garrett made on the Monday after the playoff game that Linehan would return only to recant that later in the day with a "this is what I really meant" BS play.

The most telling part of that to me was how in the hell does Garrett assume that? Had they not had any conversations about that when the offense was sputtering?

I believe the one that told them that could make that group of WR's work, with a young QB that struggled the last half of the season, was Linehan and his reward was his ticket punched on the 3:10 to Yuma. And the fact that the turnaround point was rectifying that with trading for Cooper and him being an instant fit was his the beginning of his end.

Why else would you get rid of the OC when the failing of the team was the D, namely a run D that gave up 270 yards? Any D that does that, it's the DC that should get his ticket punched.

And why haven't we heard more about the mysterious "Cleatgate"? Half the front 7 looked like kids on ice skates for the first time. There was mention of cleats before the game and a little smattering of that after the game but I never heard the full story. Is it even plausible that the Cowboys didn't have the appropriate cleats with them? Isn't that just standard traveling gear with every equipment manager?
CC, ol' buddy, I hear you loud and clear. It's clear final decisions by Jerry and Stephen are being made at the last minute, contrary to what Garrett or anyone else might have approved of or not, which is fine because the Joneses are the owners and have final say at anytime they wish. It's their business after all. I would not doubt if Garrett was protecting Linehan, thus said one thing that was later changed a few hours later once Jerry got rid of Linehan. I'm sure Jerry told Garrett to recommend a new OC, which promoting Kellen Moore is a smart decision in my opinion. If Jerry truly wanted Garrett gone, he and Stephen would have fired Garrett by now. Gua-ran-tee. Just watch, Jerry is stalling to give Garrett an extension right now in order to put a little heat under Garrett's (and this coaching staff's) feet, ...... and rightfully so, but I will not be surprised to see Jerry give Garrett a new extension towards the back end of the season, especially if the Cowboys secure another playoff birth.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CC, ol' buddy, I hear you loud and clear. It's clear final decisions by Jerry and Stephen are being made at the last minute, contrary to what Garrett or anyone else might have approved of or not, which is fine because the Joneses are the owners and have final say at anytime they wish. It's their business after all. I would not doubt if Garrett was protecting Linehan, thus said one thing that was later changed a few hours later once Jerry got rid of Linehan. I'm sure Jerry told Garrett to recommend a new OC, which promoting Kellen Moore is a smart decision in my opinion. If Jerry truly wanted Garrett gone, he and Stephen would have fired Garrett by now. Gua-ran-tee. Just watch, Jerry is stalling to give Garrett an extension right now in order to put a little heat under Garrett's (and this coaching staff's) feet, ...... and rightfully so, but I will not be surprised to see Jerry give Garrett a new extension towards the back end of the season, especially if the Cowboys secure another playoff birth.
And why shouldn't he?

With all of this "anyone but Garrett" chin boogie, only 8 coaches managed to get to the divisional round and he's 2 of 3 winning the division in the last 3.

There is this phenomena on this site, as well as the old one, that whomever gets the blame can never receive the credit. If a good decision was made, had to be someone other than Booger and he's giving up control, team turns around from 3-5 to 10-6, has to be someone other than Garrett.

There is a major assumption made by many here that Garrett is a lame duck HC. Get to the NFCCG or get out of town. I am not so sure.