Jerry’s bad timing

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When a man has an oversized ego and comes to believe his own BS, there is only one thing to save him from himself, the fear of failure. He does not have that for there is no consequence to that. He admitted he should have fired himself, has been outed several times for being a poor GM and making poor decisions and even publicly embarrassed with strippergate and none of that had any effect on him. He went into hiding during the strippergate mess but then emerged resilient as ever.

Once he takes a stance, he leaves no wiggle room to extricate himself and just digs in deeper against any criticism because he has an ego similar to someone else in the public eye. An ego that says even if I am wrong, I must be right.

Two owners have proven they can run their own club, George Halas and Al Davis but Al let his "dig in deeper" overrule his good sense because at one time he was as good as any that have done it. They both proved they could do it while Booger still struggles to prove that.

You cannot expect any man to perform at his best without that fear of failure present. Most success is driven by that because that is the consequence. Booger can just keep failing time after time because the value of the franchise will allow him that luxury. People will continue to tune in regardless of the team fielded and he knows that would last for some time.

The biggest problem is what I mentioned in the first sentence, believing your own BS. He actually thinks the success of this team is because of him. He thinks all of that glitzy glamor window dressing is what matters. He will not allow himself to think what would have happened if Johnson hadn't turned his team around so quickly for him and pulled the legion of fans, that existed before he ever got into the game, back in. Back in the day, Cowboys Mystique existed, he didn't build that, just took advantage of that and exploited it.

Some feel timing is nothing more than luck but it is a skill. But it is a skill best honed with the fear of failure constantly lurking nearby. Timing causes the decision maker to weigh the consequences as well as the rewards but when there are no consequences, timing doesn't matter.

Sydla

Reaction score
You would think the closer jerry gets to kicking the bucket he would have a sense of urgency. The guy must believe he is living in BC times.

It is kind of funny. When he was younger he was impulsive and brash. And as he has gotten close to meeting his maker, he's become more restrained and patient to a fault. I am sure one could argue he's gotten wise with age but the results don't show that wisdom is at work here.

cern

Reaction score
I have come to the point in my life where I look at jerry the man for what he is. shrewd businessman. great family man. philanthropist. someone who does sometimes care too much about a certain player. randy Gregory comes to mind. he's brought smiles to our faces with his "gl0--ry hole" comments. and infuriated us other times by bringing in guys like greg hardy. but he's taught Stephen well and will leave us with someone to guide the club into the future. enjoy as many sunsets as you can, jerry, and trust you have left your favorite toy in capable hands. must go before I make myself cry.:):):)

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
It is kind of funny. When he was younger he was impulsive and brash. And as he has gotten close to meeting his maker, he's become more restrained and patient to a fault. I am sure one could argue he's gotten wise with age but the results don't show that wisdom is at work here.
Jerry is as assbackwards as they come!

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Blind spots. We all have them. Those areas of our lives where we cannot see what others see plainly. Unfortunately, the most powerful person in our favorite team’s front office has more blind spots than a blind man. And perhaps worse, his timing on when to make moves (changes) is terrible. In fact, it’s one of his biggest blind spots.

What I mean by bad timing is this: Jerry too often waits until something or someone so obviously needs to go, he is forced to make a change. This is is a very bad habit in the NFL, where timing is important both on and off the field.

How does Jerry have a bad sense of when it’s time to make a change? Let us count the ways:
  • Early on in Jerry’s reign, he had the opposite problem than today by having a fast hook on his HC. Today the timing problem is having a long hook. Most owners would have fired their HC after 8 seasons for only making the playoffs 3 times and only winning 2 playoff games. Not JJ. I have fears that if the Cowboys go 8-8 next year, he finds a way to excuse keeping his red headed step son.
  • He has a habit of hanging on to players who have long proven they are not worth it. Chaz Green, Gavin Escobar, Ro McClain, Josh Brent, Greg Hardy, to name a few. Loyalty is good in many aspects of life. But not for an NFL GM.
  • Keeping key coaches around too long. Scott Linehan is the most recent example. After the debacle of 2017, he should have been fired. But then again, Garrett should have been fired on the tarmac in Atlanta after what Chaz Green was allowed to do.
  • Jerry has a habit of talking too much, just when the team needs him to shut up. Whenever this team starts playing well or poorly, Jerry seems to talk the most. And most of his meaningless drivel does zero to actually help his team or his HC.
Will Jerry ever have any good timing? At 76, old ways die hard. But it will be interesting to see if Jerry does what is obvious to almost every Cowboys fan- if we don’t win big this year, Garrett must go.
Wasn't Greg Hardy here for like a year? Ro_Mac 2? Escobar played out his rookie contract and was gone, Josh Brent?

Sydla

Reaction score
I have come to the point in my life where I look at jerry the man for what he is. shrewd businessman. great family man. philanthropist. someone who does sometimes care too much about a certain player. randy Gregory comes to mind. he's brought smiles to our faces with his "gl0--ry hole" comments. and infuriated us other times by bringing in guys like greg hardy. but he's taught Stephen well and will leave us with someone to guide the club into the future. enjoy as many sunsets as you can, jerry, and trust you have left your favorite toy in capable hands. must go before I make myself cry.:):):)

He's a guy with football in his blood that believes because he's been so successful in business in his life, he can also be wildly successful at not just owning a NFL franchise but actually basically running the day to day football operations of the franchise.

I caught the 30 for 30 on Jerry and he had a comment that went something like how he had always wanted to be a head coach, etc. I think that captures his essence. Jerry, for all the money he has made in natural resources and owning a NFL team, really only wanted to be successful in football as a guy who ran things - GM, coach, etc.

I think it's been his one true flaw. It's not a shock that his only real success came in a period where he had a counterbalance in Jimmy Johnson. Since Jimmy left, there has been no real balance here, someone who had the clout and ability to push back. Parcells had that somewhat but he was further along in his career.

I like Jerry. I don't have some visceral bitterness or dislike for him like others do. But he's been the single biggest reason this franchise has been a bottom half/third of the league franchise (in terms of football success) since the late 90s, early 2000s.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Wow another bash Jerry / Jason thread.

With the salary cap fans see it as hanging onto a player too long. From running a team it may not be all that simple as get rid of this player and plug in the next.

You made a great point about hanging onto Garrett too long, but it wasn't all on Jerry for the fast hook on Jimmy.
Remember the old bad OL when Jason took over, it didn't take him long to get rid of them, as well as others. And they took cap hits because of it. So that limited them as to what they could do each year. But Jason and company started drafting OL to rebuild it.

We been hearing "Jerry speak" for years. Most should be immune to it now. :muttley:

There are never enough Jerry/Jason bashing threads. Never. Keep them coming everyone!

Whyjerry

Reaction score
When you spend a majority of your time drunk you tend to have bad timing with things. I don't know how anyone can operate when they're constantly dealing with a hangover.

Exactly. Jerry is pretty pickled by now so I doubt he get hangovers.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You own the team for 30 years, there are going to be examples of quick hooks and slow hooks.

We’ve been gradually building a contender for years now. I think we’re actually doing things about right these days. It’s just really hard to win an NFL championship.

cern

Reaction score
jerry and jimmy are about the same age. when you look at them, jimmy appears to be 20 years younger. for some like jimmy, enough can be enough. for others like jerry, enough Is never enough.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They could do it like I did - I joined the Marine Corps right before the first gulf war. I learned many new words the first week of boot camp... :D

We blamed my dad for teaching our son bad words.
We were in the library one time, our son was about 1 - 1/2 years old. We were talking with the librarian as we went to school with her kids.

We had our son on the counter and all of a sudden he blurted out, loudly, the alternate word for "poop"
Everyone just started laughing. My wife immediately said, oh your grandpa teaching you that stuff.
:lmao:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
  • He has a habit of hanging on to players who have long proven they are not worth it. Chaz Green, Gavin Escobar, Ro McClain, Josh Brent, Greg Hardy, to name a few. Loyalty is good in many aspects of life. But not for an NFL GM.
This list really has me scratching my head.

Sydla

Reaction score
You own the team for 30 years, there are going to be examples of quick hooks and slow hooks.

We’ve been gradually building a contender for years now. I think we’re actually doing things about right these days. It’s just really hard to win an NFL championship.

How about just make a NFC Champ game? Only three teams haven't made a NFC Title game since 2000 - Commanders, Lions and us.

This run we are on isn't bad luck or just how the ball bounces. It's simple mismanagement and bad stewardship. It's also funny to see people talk about a slow rebuild despite the fact that we see time and time again, teams going through rebuilds and find real success in a matter of a few years.