Benched
Reaction score
278. Jones, Jerral W., 61, $1 billion, Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, oil and gas

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Nors said:
278. Jones, Jerral W., 61, $1 billion, Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, oil and gas

that Jerry is not involved in too many other ventures nowadays. The Cowboys franchise should be worth close to the Billion mark itself.

Given the higher spot price of petroleum you would expect that an oil man's net worth should increase significantly along with other people in the business. I don't think Jerry concerns himself too much with his oil interests anymore. Just a hunch here.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
We need to get a fund raiser going for poor Jerry....He is the poorest of the professional teams owners in Texas.

Even the miserable owner of the Vikings, (McCombs) is richer than poor Jerry.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
When Sam was alive (assuming he is deceased) was Wal Mart this big?

he was the richest man in America at the time. While he was still alive, the Walmart Corporation became the largest retailer in the world.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
DLK150 said:
I think his widow is in there as well.

The list includes his widow, sons and daughters. If Sam Walton were alive today and his corporation was all held privately he would probably be the wealthiest man in the entire world, even outpacing the recent spike in the oil values for the shieks of Saudi Arabia.

The net worth would be well in excess of a trillion dollars.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Yes, his widow is in there too.

Wal-Mart also owns Sam's Club, Price Costco, and several other giant retailers.

The man was a genius.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Yes, his widow is in there too.

Wal-Mart also owns Sam's Club, Price Costco, and several other giant retailers.

The man was a genius.

but Sam Walton was not listed in the company prospectus for Costco as a large block shareholder. Neither he nor any of the present Walton family or Walmart staff hold any executive or BOG positions for Price Costco. In fact, Sam's Clubs is a direct competitor to the market share of Price Costco.

It doesn't mean that he does not have shares in the company. I wouldn't know that unless it was declared due to the unusual size of ownership, then it would be public knowledge.

Walton's empire consists mainly of WalMart, Walgreens, Sam's Clubs, some German, Japanese and Chinese retail affiliates.

Was he a genius? Absolutely, he found a sensible formula that made the majority of North America customers in his retail outlets. His corporation and legacy is now a cultural phenomena - good or bad depending on your view - and society is forced to deal with it on a regular basis.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
weren't the cowboys recently rated second behind the washington Commanders in a listing of the the most valuable sports franchises? and this despite having a 30+ year-old stadium. how would a new stadium affect the team's value? i was thinking it would raise their value considerably. is that right?

Encore

Never Enough
Reaction score
I'm amazed by this.

Maybe it's just me or it could be that I'm too young, but I can only think back so far and I could've sworn that Wal-Mart has only been around for like 10 Years.

Could I be wrong?

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
weren't the cowboys recently rated second behind the washington Commanders in a listing of the the most valuable sports franchises? and this despite having a 30+ year-old stadium. how would a new stadium affect the team's value? i was thinking it would raise their value considerably. is that right?
Yes, all the way around. They're second, and a new stadium would increase the value of the franchise.

Consider the return Jerry's gotten on this investment. He paid $140M for the Cowboys, and you could only imagine how much he would get for it if he ever decided to sell it.

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy said:
We need to get a fund raiser going for poor Jerry....He is the poorest of the professional teams owners in Texas.

Did you attend Texas A&M Kingsville by any chance ?

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
DLK150 said:
Yes, all the way around. They're second, and a new stadium would increase the value of the franchise.

Consider the return Jerry's gotten on this investment. He paid $140M for the Cowboys, and you could only imagine how much he would get for it if he ever decided to sell it.
just guessin' - but sellin' appears to be the furthest thing from Mr. Jones' mind at this juncture. i'm already preparing for the "steven jones era". i think he'll have the whole "cap thing" down.

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
Oh, I'm not suggesting at all that he would sell the Cowboys, far from it. I was just considering the fact that he paid $140M for the team, and could conceivably sell it for over $1B.

Skeptic

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy said:

Jerry is more concerned with the Dallas Cowboys than he is with useless (albeit profitable) BS.

I, for one, am happy that this is the case.

Jerry Love---how many other owners care about their players the way that Jerry does? How many owners (like Jerry) would hire a coach like Parcells given the way he's run the franchise since Jimmy left?

God Bless Jones....we could do worse....Bidwell, anyone?