Audio: Jerry coming up on 105.3 The Fan

mkindred

Reaction score
Hate to say this, but does Jerry think he'll still be around to see another QB come in and get to the point to take the Cowboys to the Super Bowl after the Romo era? I agree it's probably not the wisest choice, but I really think Jerry believes the time is now and he might pull out all the stops to ensure he's around to witness his team win another SB.

robjay04

Reaction score
Makes Jerry sound desperate that everything hinges on the Romo window.
Also, increases the trading leverage for the Vikings if AP becomes a trade option.
Jerry needs to relax and let this thing play out.

Maybe it's not just about the Romo window, it's about his window as well. The guy may have 20 years left but he is getting older.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Makes Jerry sound desperate that everything hinges on the Romo window.
Also, increases the trading leverage for the Vikings if AP becomes a trade option.
Jerry needs to relax and let this thing play out.

It's happening. I'd say it's 75/25 odds we trade for Peterson now. Just a matter of what we have to give up. Getting an extra 1st rounder in Collins on the cheap sealed it.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
I would hope it would be less than a first rounder for AP. Hard to trust a 30 year old RB. Maybe a 3rd rounder which could escalate up to the 1st rounder if AP reaches certain milestones would be easier to take.

3rd rounder minimum
2nd round if AP gets +1,200 yards
1st rounder if AP gets Probowl

Aven8

Reaction score
That's my point as well. While I wasn't on the diehard bandwagon for AD intially I am now. We basically got 3 #1's this year. Number 31 or 32 won't be that much to overcome next year especially with all the youth we have and comp picks.

Herm Edwards said it best the other day 13 million for the SB? Then he went on to say you only need him for 2 years, then bye bye.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That's my point as well. While I wasn't on the diehard bandwagon for AD intially I am now. We basically got 3 #1's this year. Number 31 or 32 won't be that much to overcome next year especially with all the youth we have and comp picks.

I would do a #1 because I think Peterson gives us a Superbowl.

Also, Vegas has stated they would make us #1 in the odds to win the Superbowl.

Putting ourselves in a incredible position to win the superbowl for a few years just seems soooo worth it.

However, I'd like to get the deal done for a 2nd and a 3rd. We should have an extra 3rd next year so I think that's fair for a RB that won't be here but for a few years.

mldardy

Reaction score
Normally i would say no to trading a 1st but in our current situation with Romo's age and with us being so close go for it. Giving up a 1st round pick isn't that big of deal to me if it gets us closer to a title. We are likely going to be picking in the 20s so I won't be that dissapointed about losing that pick.

Sydla

Reaction score
And Jerry will justify it by saying that La'el Collins is like another 1st round pick so they can afford to trade a future 1st.

Is he necessarily wrong?

That being said, I want no part of Peterson at the price tag he carries. I don't like the idea of a #1 pick either, but given how the draft fell this year for us with us getting two top talents without a first round pick, I might be willing to take that chance. But not at $13MM a year.

This is a unique situation with Romo having 2-3 years MAX left to play at a high level. I am really torn about this.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Hate to say this, but does Jerry think he'll still be around to see another QB come in and get to the point to take the Cowboys to the Super Bowl after the Romo era? I agree it's probably not the wisest choice, but I really think Jerry believes the time is now and he might pull out all the stops to ensure he's around to witness his team win another SB.

Jerry is a risk taker and with risks you have to play the odds. Odds of finding another franchise QB after Romo is slim. So I'm sure he is thinking, "I have 3 years, to make a great run at this". After that, the odds go considerably down. I have not done it, but I would guess if you go back and look at the last 5 drafts from picks 25 and down, not to many have turned into multiple pro bowl or All Pro players. I'm sure Jerry is betting he won't be drafting lower than 25 next year.

Jerry didn't become as successful as he is without taking risks and playing the odds. Time will tell if he does it this off-season with AP.

Zordon

Reaction score
You are doing good now Jerry...don't go into the rabbit hole and throw away next years first.

i think i've flipped to your side.

we have the opportunity in next year's draft to get a replacement QB and finally address the interior dline and safety position.

Aven8

Reaction score
I would do a #1 because I think Peterson gives us a Superbowl.

Also, Vegas has stated they would make us #1 in the odds to win the Superbowl.

Putting ourselves in a incredible position to win the superbowl for a few years just seems soooo worth it.

However, I'd like to get the deal done for a 2nd and a 3rd. We should have an extra 3rd next year so I think that's fair for a RB that won't be here but for a few years.

The only problem I see in it is from Minny. You have both former coaches in Zimm and Norv and they are not going to want to help us out. Plus they are in the NFC fighting for the same thing we are.

mkindred

Reaction score
I really, really, really hope Jerry doesn't trade anything for a 30-year old RB with a $15.4M/$15M/$17M contract.

Think AP would be willing to restructure his contract for the chance to go in the record books for the highest single season rushing yards by being one of the best backs to ever take the field and playing behind what many are saying could be the best OLine in the history of the game?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The only problem I see in it is from Minny. You have both former coaches in Zimm and Norv and they are not going to want to help us out. Plus they are in the NFC fighting for the same thing we are.

I agree with that. Vikings are being difficult.

They need to be realistic though a realize that they suck as currently constructed with or without Peterson and get some picks for him while they still can and dump that contract.

The thought of the most physically gifted RB of all time behind potentially and one of the best OL's of all time is just a dream.

We can just go out and impose our will every week.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i think i've flipped to your side.

we have the opportunity in next year's draft to get a replacement QB and finally address the interior dline and safety position.

With this young nucleus on the offensive line...it would be nice to have the chance to get a good QB to groom for Romo and next year might be a good chance to do that with the idea that we will have extra comp picks....before someone says it...I know we can not trade comp picks but if you have a 3rd round or 4th round comp pick...you can trade your regular 3rd or 4th round picks and still have the comp picks sitting there.

If you feel the need to do some trading up for a QB, or a RB, or a killer 3 Tech DT or any other position or player your want...next year can be the year you can have some extra ammo to make it happen.

Aven8

Reaction score
The one thing I do worry about is the dreamteam deals hardly ever work out.

In reality however you could justify Collins as basically next years 1st, so I would be ok with it.