Twitter: Jerry expected to open 2012 RB market check on Demarco?

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
And if you just draft a guy in the 3rd round, you get the DeMarco Murrays of the world...

:facepalm:

We love to talk about the blueprint of the Patriots as being the standard to abide by regarding FAs and when to cut bait on your own exp. players. Would they pay a RB 6 mil.+ after drafting OL in the first round in 3 of the last 4 years? Those contracts will need renewed as well (2). Who knew all you had to do was draft 3 1st round OL and pay top dollar for a RB and you get a running game?:D No fan could have figured that out...

Last edited:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Yup, that's sound logic. Because we struck gold with Murray, we can do it every year. Sound logic.

Breakout season in a contract year with 3 1st rd OL playing @ pro bowl levels...where was he up until this point? We forgot his injury issues on top of the fumbles?

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Breakout season in a contract year with 3 1st rd OL playing @ pro bowl levels...where was he up until this point? We forgot his injury issues on top of the fumbles?

Where was he? He was averaging just as many YPC as he did this year, that's where. Some of you really need to understand how averages work and why we use them to determine performance.

And this whole injury history thing is dumb. He has played in a significant number of games each year he has been in the league. Has he missed some games? Sure. Who hasn't? Marshawn Lynch? Sorry, injured each of his first four seasons (and still going strong).

Last edited:

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Then why is JJ starting high? I hope they let him walk tbh. If this is true, looks like JJ might be hinging his bets on an Aikman redux...does the D get any assets? Is Rod his new Romo in that he thinks he can go cheap (initially OL = Livings/Mack/Costa/Nagy, etc.) on D and allocate most towards the O? We had two kickers, wouldn't surprise me that we pay the one position you don't.

Why not? Who is to say we don't have the right model right now? We have one of the few teams with a true multi-dimensional offense that includes game-changing players at both the WR and RB position. Seriously, is there a single team in the league that offers such a threat in both the passing and running game? A single one?

Did we not go into Seattle and beat the tar out of the defending SB champions? Did we not look like the better team against the Green Bay Packers for much of the day? Were we not the only team to go undefeated on the road? Call me crazy, but I think we were the best team this year, despite some of the shortcomings on defense. Every team has areas of weakness that they need to compensate for. And if we had just as good a chance to win the SB this year as anyone else, then why are we looking to any other team for the "right " model?

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Why do people say things like this?

This isnt baseball. Any deal can be terminated at any time.

Yep with dead money left over to pay if he cant perform (to the standard for the money) for longer or even the duration of the contract.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Where was he? He was averaging just as many YPC as he did this year, that's where. Some of you really need to understand how averages work and why we use them to determine performance.

And this whole injury history thing is dumb. He has played in a significant number of games each year he has been in the league. Has he missed some games? Sure. Who hasn't? Marshawn Lynch? Sorry, injured each of his first four seasons (and still going strong).

I didn't mean to sound so down on Murray (still sweatin out the whiskey when I wrote it:D) when I responded yesterday. I was a huge proponent of his last season and much enjoyed the offense this season (which he was a huge part of OL or not). It's just that price tag (6 plus) and gauging if he is truly a "special" runner deemed worthy of a high salary as the exception (McCoy/AP).

With all of the resources going towards the OL recently, it just seems it would be overkill in terms of team planning towards the future. I would much prefer Murray over Randle/draft pick tbh but am trying to look @ Murray as a GM more than a fan (why I dunno). I can see JJ deeming him worthy bc Romo's window is obv short but that would also takeaway a prized starter elsewhere. There's the fumbles and "some" injury history there dating back to college. He did have his career year in his contract year though there is argument deftly that he could have contributed more if not for JG, etc. I just see Randle/draft pick being "enough". You do have a point about the equally strong running and passing game. We are a complete Offense most definitely albeit a simple scheme that takes talent (*could argue too much talent tbh)to make it work.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Yep with dead money left over to pay if he cant perform (to the standard for the money) for longer or even the duration of the contract.

and if you structure a contract correctly, the dead money is offset by the savings for cutting the guy after 2-3 years.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
and if you structure a contract correctly, the dead money is offset by the savings for cutting the guy after 2-3 years.

Ok then in your expert opinion if they want to keep Murray, how much and how long should be?

cowboys2233

Reaction score
I didn't mean to sound so down on Murray (still sweatin out the whiskey when I wrote it:D) when I responded yesterday. I was a huge proponent of his last season and much enjoyed the offense this season (which he was a huge part of OL or not). It's just that price tag (6 plus) and gauging if he is truly a "special" runner deemed worthy of a high salary as the exception (McCoy/AP).

With all of the resources going towards the OL recently, it just seems it would be overkill in terms of team planning towards the future. I would much prefer Murray over Randle/draft pick tbh but am trying to look @ Murray as a GM more than a fan (why I dunno). I can see JJ deeming him worthy bc Romo's window is obv short but that would also takeaway a prized starter elsewhere. There's the fumbles and "some" injury history there dating back to college. He did have his career year in his contract year though there is argument deftly that he could have contributed more if not for JG, etc. I just see Randle/draft pick being "enough". You do have a point about the equally strong running and passing game. We are a complete Offense most definitely albeit a simple scheme that takes talent (*could argue too much talent tbh)to make it work.

Here's a quote from Romo himself...

“Any time you get talented guys where you can put more than two on one side of the ball, you get three, four, if you’re lucky enough to ever get five, it’s one of those things where if you can put a group like that together you can make a run and be very difficult for teams to deal with for years.

“I think that’s what you’re trying to build ultimately is to have sustained success. We have an opportunity to have that.”

Tony gets it. You simply do not have many opportunities to put an offense like this together and when you do, you better damn well take advantage of it. We've got a real opportunity here to have a "dynasty offense," if we keep this core group of guys together, we will be division favorites and conference contenders for the next five years. And with a few strokes of good luck, this team could win multiple titles during that time.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Here's a quote from Romo himself...

“Any time you get talented guys where you can put more than two on one side of the ball, you get three, four, if you’re lucky enough to ever get five, it’s one of those things where if you can put a group like that together you can make a run and be very difficult for teams to deal with for years.

“I think that’s what you’re trying to build ultimately is to have sustained success. We have an opportunity to have that.”

Tony gets it. You simply do not have many opportunities to put an offense like this together and when you do, you better damn well take advantage of it. We've got a real opportunity here to have a "dynasty offense," if we keep this core group of guys together, we will be division favorites and conference contenders for the next five years. And with a few strokes of good luck, this team could win multiple titles during that time.

Yeah, how could I figure out avg's when a HC doesn't?o_O Isn't that why an outside coordinator was needed? But he planned it along:D...different topic. Tony gets it bc he is on his last leg. How is this sustainable into the foreseeable future without Romo and his fragile injury situation (the back)? Weren't Murray, Bryant, Witten, etc. already on the team prior to this season? That resulted in 8-8 x 3. The OC/OL enabled a different offensive strategy that relied less on the passing game "this" season bc of Murray and the OL.

We also couldn't put up points in the playoffs with this strategy (rush oriented O) = needed Dez to save the day... The "group" has been together quite awhile to only "now" win a playoff game. Now we have to pay everybody for that result or to potentially maintain? (that you JJ?) Why does this sound familiar... Murray would be a wonderful luxury to have but we have to be honest in that our model mirrors closer to the Saints than any other recent SB team (all O, no D) except, we let teams stay close!:D

The problem with this strategy is that it guarantees close games where a D would be handy. We can't rely on Marinelli to produce something out of nothing as the expected staple on D. We were lucky this season with an avg. secondary and no pass rush to create enough TOs to keep their heads above water and remain competitive. I understand the urge to maintain this roster but what have they won exactly? They beat DET @ home...Stafford hasn't won one of those games in two seasons...the reg. season was fun though, give you that. We punked out in the playoffs, we idled until it was necessary to be aggressive. That is on us...not Dez/team getting screwed (which we were).

Last edited:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Ok then in your expert opinion if they want to keep Murray, how much and how long should be?

I've said several times, you structure a deal such that he gets top RB money in a manner that is basically a two year deal.

So I'd say a 12 mill SB. About 4 mill in salary over the first two years. And salaries of 8 mill per in the 3rd and 4th year. That structure will have a combined cap hit of around 5 mill in each of the first two years. If his productivity declines, we can cut him in before the 3rd year of the deal and take a 6 mill hit in dead money. Of course, that is offset a good bit by not paying the 8 mill in salary.

That's basically a 2 year - 16 mill deal with not crippling cap hits over three years.

Geez, that's so cap friendly that you could even kick it up to 2-18 mill without destroying the cap.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Of course not, but you guys that just think you can throw a dart at a board of rb.s in the later rounds,plug him in, and get similar production are delusional

RBs don't go like they used to

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Yes they would but I don't see how overpaying for a RB helps the defense to help get us more trophies.

Really? This offense absolutely helped this defense by dominating time of possession and this team went into the defending SB champion's stadium and took them to the woodshed. Why does this continue to be lost on so many people? This very team, with this very defense, was good enough to win the SB this year, make no mistake about it. And it was largely because this offense, with this running back, simply overwhelmed opposing defenses. We didn't go undefeated on the road by accident this year, I promise you.

They're going to sign Murray, they're going to keep this offense intact, they're going to focus on the defense in the offseason, and we're going to destroy teams next season and for the next three or fours years after that. Simple.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Exactly the offense did a lot to make the defense looks better. As well as the defense actually making plays. There are some positives about this defense going in which is something you couldn't say going into last year. Particularly with Lee out.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really? This offense absolutely helped this defense by dominating time of possession and this team went into the defending SB champion's stadium and took them to the woodshed. Why does this continue to be lost on so many people?

I understand (we all do) how the offense helped the defense this year. It's not lost on any one.

But overpaying for a RB does not help our defense.