Jerry gets emotional explaining how he cares more about winning than ratings or attendance

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oh, IDK, it points toward Jerry being seriously a bit insane. Not just saying it for effect, certifiably. His actions do point toward that.
Not at all. I’ve dealt with several who own a business to play out their fantasies. It’s not insane . It’s purely selfish and arrogance.

How many times has he told us when cornered is he put the 140 million down and can do as he pleases.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This has been his fantasy since he was at Arkansas. He wanted to be a Football Guy like some of his other teammates. But without someone holding him directly accountable like a HC or GM is. And why he wanted to own a team instead .

When he realized he couldn’t swing the deal with the Chargers back in the 60’s himself he pulled out cause didn’t want any co- owners or partners who could do just that. Hold him accountable .

doomsday9084

Reaction score
So, what you're saying is that Jerry is insane. I agree.

Effectively. To a large degree, he is delusional. It might be how he got rich in the first place. Regardless, his delusion isn't helping the cowboys at all at this point. When you add delusion to some narcissism and control issues, you got a serious problem.

I do seriously believe him when he says he wants to win. I don't think he is doing this just to screw with the fanbase. I don't even think its all about the money either because he would be better off hiring a Belichick and raking in the cash. There is something going on upstairs and it doesn't quite mesh with reality all that well.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Effectively. To a large degree, he is delusional. It might be how he got rich in the first place. Regardless, his delusion isn't helping the cowboys at all at this point. When you add delusion to some narcissism and control issues, you got a serious problem.

I do seriously believe him when he says he wants to win. I don't think he is doing this just to screw with the fanbase. I don't even think its all about the money either because he would be better off hiring a Belichick and raking in the cash. There is something going on upstairs and it doesn't quite mesh with reality all that well.
I think you answered your own question before asking it.

Well said.

He just has accomplished so much in his life that he can't accept that he can't make the NFL thing work on the field. The idea that him or his kid aren't qualified doesn't play into his thinking. I'm not being disrespectful or taking a shot at him. The narcissist doesn't have the ability to see certain realities.

There are so many people lining up for a payday and telling him what he wants to hear in return its a genuine concern.

At this point if this team is able to ever win, it'll be in spite of him anyway, not because

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I do believe Jerry cares a lot about winning. Past head coaches Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells have said as much. The problem is Jerry is delusional/egotistical enough to believe the best way for Dallas to win is with him as general manager. He's that guy standing on the street corner talking to himself who thinks everyone else is crazy.

plasticman

Reaction score
It is a person's actions and not his words that tell us exactly what is important to him.

It is not winning that is important to Jerry Jones, it's recognition as a football expert. Jerry cares about winning when he is receiving the credit. That wil never happen.it because he is a total liability.

Yes the Cowboys can acquire talent. That is irrelevent until they find someone that knows how to build a team. That is the job of a GM. Therefore, I must sad;y conclude that the Cowboys will never build a team in my lifetime.

Plankton

Reaction score
Every one agrees he is a good owner. It's his GM that many have an issues with.

I don't think he's a good owner. He's a good business man. Any good owner wouldn't keep the "unique structure" of the Cowboys in place with the lack of results achieved over the last 25 years.

Except this owner.

Motorola

Reaction score
I have two family members who have stopped dogging me for being a Cowboys fan. One is my bro in law who lives in Denver and is a Broncos fan. He told me once this year that “he forgot about the Cowboys” at one point this year. The other is a cousin who is from the northeast and is a big e-girls fan. He has busted my chops for years saying Jerry is super popular in Philly. They hope he stays doing what he does. He says they want to build a statue of Jerry outside their stadium.
It is 80\20 with my interactions with other NFL fans.
The significant majority still diss - mock - take a dig at the Cowboys...and it is always because the team still gets up to half their schedule in the primetime TV slots every season despite:

1) being at best an occasional 10+ win and division winner--5 times in the last 14 seasons (however ____3 times in the last 7 years)

2) Two wins, six losses___2-6__ in the playoffs over the last 15 seasons (2006-2020) ---BUT--no advance beyond the divisional round this century

Last edited:

Motorola

Reaction score
Jerry the GM does good enough. He signs the checks and runs the business.

Hiring a “football” guy isn’t going to be what turns this around. Jerry has been doing this over 30 years and has honestly has earned the right to be called a football guy. The narrative that he is not a football guy or we need some genius GM is not our main issue anymore. It is our coaching and culture. Our culture doesn’t typically create an environment of accountability. Our coaching has been the difference in winning and losing. If we fix that we end the drought.
But----who hires the coaches?

star-ving

Reaction score
MadeupEqualEmu-size_restricted.gif

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Anyone who believes this snake oil salesmen is an idiot.

Jerry Jones only cares about winning if he and his cheapskate son gets the credit.

kskboys

Reaction score
I do believe Jerry cares a lot about winning. Past head coaches Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells have said as much. The problem is Jerry is delusional/egotistical enough to believe the best way for Dallas to win is with him as general manager. He's that guy standing on the street corner talking to himself who thinks everyone else is crazy.
Well, he doesn't care about winning enough to take the necessary steps to win. So, just how much does he want to win?

gimmesix

Reaction score
Well, he doesn't care about winning enough to take the necessary steps to win. So, just how much does he want to win?

In his mind, I believe Jerry thinks he is part of the necessary steps to win, so in his mind, he's all in. Delusional/egomaniacal people tend to believe their delusions.

For us, it looks like he doesn't care enough to step aside. For him, he cares enough not to step aside. It's all viewpoint. The delusion comes in when it's clear to everyone else but him that his viewpoint isn't working.

kskboys

Reaction score
In his mind, I believe Jerry thinks he is part of the necessary steps to win, so in his mind, he's all in. Delusional/egomaniacal people tend to believe their delusions.

For us, it looks like he doesn't care enough to step aside. For him, he cares enough not to step aside. It's all viewpoint. The delusion comes in when it's clear to everyone else but him that his viewpoint isn't working.
After 25 years of failure, no, winning is not at the top of his list.

gimmesix

Reaction score
After 25 years of failure, no, winning is not at the top of his list.

OK, you are thinking like a rational person. In Jerry's mind, he believes he is doing everything it takes to win so it is at the top of his list. He's not rational when it comes to his belief that the Cowboys' best chance of winning is with him as the GM.

kskboys

Reaction score
OK, you are thinking like a rational person. In Jerry's mind, he believes he is doing everything it takes to win so it is at the top of his list. He's not rational when it comes to his belief that the Cowboys' best chance of winning is with him as the GM.
That's not even irrational, that is insane. In a clinical sense, not just saying it.