Jerry: Hopkins unlikely, Zeke possible

Praxit

Reaction score
...welp, there you have it. I guess Zeke, Deuss, TP tandem for 23'. I cant wait.... ;)..

Carson

Reaction score
Man I wish I didn’t pay for Mike Fishers breaking news

/sarcasm

TheFinisher

Reaction score
I can’t remember an example of a team cutting a player, getting hit with dead cap from the contract, and then re-signing that player in the same off-season.

Why would we do this? He refused to re-do his deal, so now that we’ve taken the dead cap hit and his camp realizes he has no market, we’re going to shell out more money to him?

Make it make sense.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
A guy that can make the big play, we have no interest in :facepalm:
A guy that can't make the big play, sure why not:facepalm:
The guy that can’t make the big play moved the chains in a lot of critical situations and punched the ball in the endzone 12 times last year. If we can’t pick up a yard or two in critical 3rd and 4th down situations and near the goal line, it’s going to lead to problems. We added a WR threat in Brandin Cooks but we have a lot of uncertainty with our short yardage backs and who knows if any of them can block. For those who think Zeke didn’t provide any value weren’t watching the games.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The biggest problem adding Hopkins is he would be a progress stopper for Jalen Tolbert. Granted Hopkins is way better than Tolbert, but signing him would pretty much cause of the Cowboys to have to move on from Tolbert and they don’t want give up on the third round pick after only one season. Tolbert would never have a chance to improve on his rookie season with four receivers ahead of him. Someone has to go if you bring in Hopkins.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I can’t remember an example of a team cutting a player, getting hit with dead cap from the contract, and then re-signing that player in the same off-season.

Why would we do this? He refused to re-do his deal, so now that we’ve taken the dead cap hit and his camp realizes he has no market, we’re going to shell out more money to him?

Make it make sense.
I believe the Eagles did this with Fletcher Cox just last year didn't they? Not sure if they took much of a cap it or not, but know that they released then resigned him.

Odds are the move to release + resign to a vet min contract once he realizes that he has no market probably saves the Cowboys more money than having him take a pay cut alone. Zeke wasn't owed any actual money on his existing contract, all guaranteed cash had already been paid so by cutting him the Cowboys owed him $0. It really was just about the cap hit.....maybe that could have been lessened with Zeke redoing his deal, but to do so you probably have to add years which I get the sense the Cowboys were never wanting to do.