Jerry is afraid of having his fears confirmed

JustChip

Reaction score
I don’t know what Jerry thinks or feels. It’s hard for me to fathom someone wanted credit for something they own but they think they can only get it if they run everything. Very silly.
I don’t understand it either, but them I’m not a narcissist. And obviously I don’t what exactly Jerry is thinking, but his actions and myriad of comments then and over the years give glimpses.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don’t understand it either, but them I’m not a narcissist. And obviously I don’t what exactly Jerry is thinking, but his actions and myriad of comments then and over the years give glimpses.
It definitely he does. I take what he says at face value.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Jerry has a priority list, and while winning a SB is on the list, it is not number one. Number one is making money and based on his actions, feeding his ego is number two.

Fan satisfaction is not on the list.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Spot on! He changed a team that had gone 5-11 three straight years to a 10-6 team the first year. That wasn’t done by wholesale changing of personnel. It was done by changing the culture and instilling toughness.

Parcells also didn't have sacred cows. He brought Drew Bledsoe in who had been his SB QB in NE. But that didn’t stop him from pulling him at the half in a Monday night when he wasn’t getting it done. Bledsoe was pissed but the Tuna didn’t care.
that is exactly correct. that is the last time people were scared for their jobs. Steve Young even stole the "don't give them the star until they earned it" directly from parcells

that team was so bereft of talent when he took over and he left arguably the most talented team in the league (2007) cowboys. no doubt the win the SB had he stayed in 2007

JustChip

Reaction score
that is exactly correct. that is the last time people were scared for their jobs. Steve Young even stole the "don't give them the star until they earned it" directly from parcells

that team was so bereft of talent when he took over and he left arguably the most talented team in the league (2007) cowboys. no doubt the win the SB had he stayed in 2007
FA, the Cap and guaranteed monies make things more difficult today. You can’t just cut a player without considering what the overall financial impact is. But playing time is completely completely controllable and can send messages.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
FA, the Cap and guaranteed monies make things more difficult today. You can’t just cut a player without considering what the overall financial impact is. But playing time is completely completely controllable and can send messages.
overblown crutch. SF determined they screwed up after trading 3 #1s for Lance. Denver cut Tebow and got Manning. randy moss was traded twice.

yea, maybe you can't cut dak, but you can cut gholston, Wright, Pollard, you can trade many pieces.

but we never make the AJ Brown, McCaffrey, Portis/Bailey, Mack trades

mainly because it is more important for this team to prove their "evaluations" hit moreso than filling 2 pieces for one to make you better.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
How many head coaches left their head coaching job in Dallas and went straight to a head coaching in the NFL after losing their job in Dallas?

Jimmy.

Gailey EVENTUALLY did, but he had to go to Georgia Tech and be a head coach there for several years before returning to the NFL as a head coach in Buffalo some 10+ years after being fired in Dallas

But Switzer, Parcells, Phillps, Garrett, Campo...once Dallas was done with them...the NFL was done with them or vice versa.

Jerry brings people in that ALLOW him to be Jerry. Jerry does not want someone to come in and within 3 years be in the NFC title game...it would invalidate EVERYTHING Jerry has been trying to do for almost 30 years.
I've posted this before, and yes....his biggest fear is hiring a competent HC who within a handful of years gets him another SB trophy.. Would confirm and validate he has been a total idiot and has wasted time, careers and cred trying to do it his way. His way don't work....but hey, let's try it again...bound to luck into one sometime.... Guess not.

Creeper

Reaction score
We have to accept that the reason Jerry bought the team is because he always wanted to be the football guy. This is Jerry's hobby and he is not giving up because it's his. A rich guy who buys a Ferrari doesn't hire a chauffer to drive him around in it. He buys a pair of leather driving gloves, and probably a white scarf, and he drives it around himself until he get tired of it. Jerry is never getting tired of driving around the Cowboys because he gets his fix of attention from being the guy in Dallas. This is who he is and he isn't changing .Remember George Steinbrenner? He was the same way with the NY Yankees. And when he got old and sick he let off a little only because he health kept him from having the same level of control. When he died, his sons took over and they were just awful baseball people.

I bring up Steinbrenner because when Jerry ca no long do what he does, Stephen will step in and from all accounts, he is worse than Jerry. Not only does he know nothing about football, but he seems to be a bit cheap with the money. At some point only desperate, washed up players will sign with Dallas. It could actually get worse after Jerry.

JustChip

Reaction score
overblown crutch. SF determined they screwed up after trading 3 #1s for Lance. Denver cut Tebow and got Manning. randy moss was traded twice.

yea, maybe you can't cut dak, but you can cut gholston, Wright, Pollard, you can trade many pieces.

but we never make the AJ Brown, McCaffrey, Portis/Bailey, Mack trades

mainly because it is more important for this team to prove their "evaluations" hit moreso than filling 2 pieces for one to make you better.
I didn’t say it was a crutch. But it certainly makes things more difficult. Neither SF or Denver had significant salary cap considerations with Lance or Tebow. It can be done, as Philly showed with Wentz, but it depends greatly on how the contract is structured.

The Cowboys structured Dak’s contract to extend him, not release or trade. They made the decision they were all in with Dak, right or wrong.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Jerry has a priority list, and while winning a SB is on the list, it is not number one. Number one is making money and based on his actions, feeding his ego is number two.

Fan satisfaction is not on the list.
I think LARPing as a "Football Guy" is number 1 on his list even over money. He makes a lot of money despite his inability to GM a SB franchise post Jimmy because the brand has become an unstoppable juggernaut. He'd make considerably more money if the Cowboys won a SB.

MS17

Reaction score
We have to accept that the reason Jerry bought the team is because he always wanted to be the football guy. This is Jerry's hobby and he is not giving up because it's his. A rich guy who buys a Ferrari doesn't hire a chauffer to drive him around in it. He buys a pair of leather driving gloves, and probably a white scarf, and he drives it around himself until he get tired of it. Jerry is never getting tired of driving around the Cowboys because he gets his fix of attention from being the guy in Dallas. This is who he is and he isn't changing .Remember George Steinbrenner? He was the same way with the NY Yankees. And when he got old and sick he let off a little only because he health kept him from having the same level of control. When he died, his sons took over and they were just awful baseball people.

I bring up Steinbrenner because when Jerry ca no long do what he does, Stephen will step in and from all accounts, he is worse than Jerry. Not only does he know nothing about football, but he seems to be a bit cheap with the money. At some point only desperate, washed up players will sign with Dallas. It could actually get worse after Jerry.
"It could actually get worse after Jerry." That is a chilling image for us to get our minds around. Great googly moogly...

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Some of you all with your responses are missing the point. Their experience in Dallas either left them wanting a BREAK...or the NFL basically viewing them as no good or damaged goods. This is not a one off....it's all of them except Jimmy. Would you have ever hired Campo after seeing in Dallas? Would you ever want Garrett after seeing him in Dallas? Did Wade appear to be head coach material after Dallas? I know Bruce Coslett was never the head coach in Dallas...but he never coached again on ANY level after being the offensive coordinator in Dallas.

It is beyond sickening what Jerry has done to this franchise...and to think...some of you all actually defend this crap.

You can say he did not miss tackles or throw picks...but Jerry will pay McClay like a GM because McClay will let Jerry be Jerry. Jerry will pay Quinn like a head coach because Quinn will let Jerry be Jerry. ( I was actally SHOCKED that Jerry let Quinn get rid of Jaylon Smith, I thought that was progress). McCarthy will get off his COUCH and take Jerrys money because he will let Jerry tell him who his o-coordinator and d-coordinators are going to be.

Jerry and/or his family really fancy themselves as football people...and they have JUST ENOUGH success to keep fooling themselves and fooling us.

All of this weeping and gnashing of teeth is no different then the same reactions we all had when the 49ers ran us out of our own building in the playoffs a couple of years ago. We got ran out for the same reasons Green Bay ran us out the building.
  • We cannot play physical football.
  • We are un-disciplined.
  • We don't have the ability to run the football against a cover 2 shell.

This is not ROCKET SCIENCE. And yet here we are....3 years later...getting our a** kicked in our own backyard. And it was not even close. When we lost to San Fran 3 years ago I said they would beat us 7 out of 10 times (they've already beat us twice in a row since)
After watching Green Bay set records against us I am confident they would beat us 7 out of 10 times.
And it looks like we are going to run it back, so expect more of the same.

JustChip

Reaction score
Some of you all with your responses are missing the point. Their experience in Dallas either left them wanting a BREAK...or the NFL basically viewing them as no good or damaged goods. This is not a one off....it's all of them except Jimmy. Would you have ever hired Campo after seeing in Dallas? Would you ever want Garrett after seeing him in Dallas? Did Wade appear to be head coach material after Dallas? I know Bruce Coslett was never the head coach in Dallas...but he never coached again on ANY level after being the offensive coordinator in Dallas.

It is beyond sickening what Jerry has done to this franchise...and to think...some of you all actually defend this crap.

You can say he did not miss tackles or throw picks...but Jerry will pay McClay like a GM because McClay will let Jerry be Jerry. Jerry will pay Quinn like a head coach because Quinn will let Jerry be Jerry. ( I was actally SHOCKED that Jerry let Quinn get rid of Jaylon Smith, I thought that was progress). McCarthy will get off his COUCH and take Jerrys money because he will let Jerry tell him who his o-coordinator and d-coordinators are going to be.

Jerry and/or his family really fancy themselves as football people...and they have JUST ENOUGH success to keep fooling themselves and fooling us.

All of this weeping and gnashing of teeth is no different then the same reactions we all had when the 49ers ran us out of our own building in the playoffs a couple of years ago. We got ran out for the same reasons Green Bay ran us out the building.
  • We cannot play physical football.
  • We are un-disciplined.
  • We don't have the ability to run the football against a cover 2 shell.

This is not ROCKET SCIENCE. And yet here we are....3 years later...getting our a** kicked in our own backyard. And it was not even close. When we lost to San Fran 3 years ago I said they would beat us 7 out of 10 times (they've already beat us twice in a row since)
After watching Green Bay set records against us I am confident they would beat us 7 out of 10 times.
And it looks like we are going to run it back, so expect more of the same.
Cathartic? Feel better?

Brooksey

Reaction score
How many head coaches left their head coaching job in Dallas and went straight to a head coaching in the NFL after losing their job in Dallas?

Jimmy.

Gailey EVENTUALLY did, but he had to go to Georgia Tech and be a head coach there for several years before returning to the NFL as a head coach in Buffalo some 10+ years after being fired in Dallas

But Switzer, Parcells, Phillps, Garrett, Campo...once Dallas was done with them...the NFL was done with them or vice versa.

Jerry brings people in that ALLOW him to be Jerry. Jerry does not want someone to come in and within 3 years be in the NFC title game...it would invalidate EVERYTHING Jerry has been trying to do for almost 30 years.
What Jerry doesn't get is the only way to save his rep is to fire himself, and hire Jimmy Johnson as the GM etc or something like that...

To go to the grave like a stubborn, pouting teenager is disgraceful.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
THE ONLY THING THE JONES BOYS WANT IS MORE MONEY
well, as a business family first, I can't hate on this. and if we're silly enough to keep spending our money and attention to make them more wealthy, that's on us.

but I do think Jerry does want to win a SB, but when/if that does happen (it's looking bleak), he wants part of that glory and fanfare.

and along the way, he's going to make sure the Jones family stays one of the wealthiest in the country. and I see nothing wrong with that, as I think we would all do the same.

ArtClink

Reaction score

Jimmy.

Exactly right. Dallas is where a hc goes to end his hc career. Big Mac will be hired by another team unless he stays as long as Garrett.