Jerry is right to wait to fire Garrett

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Guy has proven over 10 years he can’t do the job. The season is still on the line. They absolutely should fire him to salvage whatever they can. Get a look at Richard to even see if he could be an option. Free up Moore to see if he is worth keeping with the next coach.

Absolutely letting blinding arrogance lead the decisions.

stinkface

Reaction score
I think Garret will be gone as soon as we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. I mean that very night. That will give Jerry a jumpstart on getting the next coach in the pipeline. That could be in the next 2 weeks. We had two games in a row that we may loose, although Chicago and the Rams aren't playing worth a damn. Philly isn't going to lose another game unless its to us, and that would mean beating them in their house. If we lose to Chicago and the Rams and the Eagles, Jason should be given a (local not express) bus ticket back to Dallas that evening.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The last time Jerry made a coaching change midseason he gave us Head Coach Jason Garrett.

Head Coach Kris Richard? No thanks. He hasn't earned it, anyway.

Yes, being head coach means the offense has to do well, and RIchard has zero offensive experience. And this last game, for instance, Richard coached the secondary in Seattle to great things, but without a Sherman or Chancellor or such we got a green quarterback throw 11 straight completions and convert critical third downs with ease.

Of course being a head coach is a lot about team attitude and intensity, and being ready for opponents, which Richard MIGHT could do, but I've not seen that in the defense this year.

Would much prefer to go out of the Cowboys current staff for a new head coach, so he's not a buddy of the coaches he has to supervise...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I think Garret will be gone as soon as we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. I mean that very night. That will give Jerry a jumpstart on getting the next coach in the pipeline. That could be in the next 2 weeks. We had two games in a row that we may loose, although Chicago and the Rams aren't playing worth a damn. Philly isn't going to lose another game unless its to us, and that would mean beating them in their house. If we lose to Chicago and the Rams and the Eagles, Jason should be given a (local not express) bus ticket back to Dallas that evening.

Well, not to gloat, but I said earlier this week I wasn't sold on Philly "running the table" except for Dallas, they have injury issues, and other than teams like the Pats, etc. the teams are pretty close, the league wants parity, and they've pretty much got it.

Of course the Philly loss to the Dolphins today just gives Dallas a "shot in the arm", now if they beat Philly they only need to tie Philly overall to win the division, which may give JJ just enough reason to stick with Jason, as like someone said Jerry is looking for any straw to grasp to keep his golden child as the head coach...

just_catch_it

Reaction score
Wrong. It’s been proven time and time again, including with Garrett himself when he took over for Wade, that a coaching change lights a spark.

I would promote Richard. Yeah, the defense hasn’t met expectations but as head coach for 4 games I think he’d light a fire.
Absolutely, besides its probable with Carrot at the helm, Cowboys don't win any remaining games against teams with winning records since they have consistently proven that all season.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Number 1: I am 100% in favor of Garrett getting fired.

Number 2: Jerry has an obligation to the paying customers to try to put the best product on the field in the remaining 4 games of the 2019.

Number 3: Jerry has an obligation to his employees (the players) to give them the best chance to win games.

Number 4: Despite how bad things have been, the Cowboys are still in first place, and still can make the playoffs.

Firing Garrett in mid-season would not give the players or fans the best chance to win the next 4 games. At the minimum, Jerry needs to wait for the 10 day break, which means waiting until after the Bears game next week. And however bad morale is now, it would be worse if Garrett was fired now.

At this point, Jerry insisting that the Super Bowl is still the goal keeps the players focused on the immediate task before them. To the players, Jerry's continued faith in their talent keeps morale up. To fire Garrett now would be a signal that he is giving up on this year, and giving up on the team.

So, even though I think Jerry is now committed to firing Garrett, it is wise to wait until the Cowboys either miss the playoffs, or lose in the playoffs before pulling the trigger on putting the Garrett era behind us. (But that doesn't mean he cannot start looking for a new coach now. I'm in favor of getting an assistant coach from a championship team, who has been trained in how to coach champions.)
Screw Jerry. Fire your son sir. Doing so will increase my morale, that of several other fans, and also the team that is just stuck in 1st gear waiting for it to happen.....

wileedog

Reaction score
I’d argue Jerry is waiting because he still has hope we can make some noise in playoffs and save Jason’s job. And if he doesn’t then it makes the decision easier after the season.

I think this is one of the few times you can actually take Jerry's word on this. He said himself and so has Stephen that they would rather hope the team makes some magical late season run than give in and fire his boy.

It's just like last year when the team was 3-5 and everyone was screaming for Garret's head. Only last year Jerry still had time to throw a Hail Mary and spend a 1st trading for Amari to save him. This year there is nothing really Jerry can do but deny, deny, deny and hope.

But make no mistake, this team is probably going to make the playoffs by default because the division is so G-d awful (lol at Philly today), and if by some miracle they win a game Jerry is going to start thinking about the extension word. He *likes* the current coaching situation. He is *comfortable* with the current operation. He doesn't want to bring in someone new who may not have the same willingness to let Jerry and his family interfere with every detail of the team, and he will look for any excuse possible to keep Jason IMO.