Jerry is right to wait to fire Garrett

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
If it was my decision Garrett would have been fired immediately after the New England fiasco. I would have been on the phone with Urban Meyer that night & if he was still interested he would have had a contract offer the next day. Meyer would be free to run the team as he saw fit, evaluating players and the coaching staff. Seeing the staff & players in real game action would be a significant kick start to next year.
No I'm not an Ohio State fan, not in the least. I just think Meyer is the best hope to take advantage of what talent there is on this team.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Yes, if it comes to that. I would rather the team make the playoffs instead of miss them. You can feel free to hope they don’t make it.
I really doesn't matter to me.

It is entertaining for a moment when I am weak enough to assume they could beat any of the teams in the field to advance one game.

I am one of those bad fans that can't take solace in a one-and-done. Sue me.

We are in that boat no matter who has the title of head coach at that moment. Richard screaming is not going to solve our issues.

Valkyr

Reaction score
Jerry can let his contract run out and he technically didn't fire him.

He save himself from a press conference where he's crying like Dick Vermeil cutting onions.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I really doesn't matter to me.

It is entertaining for a moment when I am weak enough to assume they could beat any of the teams in the field to advance one game.

I am one of those bad fans that can't take solace in a one-and-done. Sue me.
To each his own.

willia451

Reaction score
Oh. I thought it was Jerry was right to "Want" to fire Garrett. LOL!!! But you said "Wait". Ok. I get it now. I was about to post something else.

But now, given my new reading, I will say this.

Don't change a thing. Make them win or not with what they have. If they can't. Clean house in the off-season.

And who cares if they quit because nothing else is coming? Who F ing cares?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Jerry can let his contract run out and he technically didn't fire him.

He save himself from a press conference where he's crying like Dick Vermeil cutting onions.
I really think that is part of this. He hitched his wagon to Garrett a long time ago. He even tolerated his coup with Phillips. There is a lot of emotional capital here and he has nothing on his mind other than to see this out until the bitter end.

He wants his Garrett fairy tale to come true.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
The sooner the change is made, the sooner we could possibly get into super bowl contention.
Wrong. The Cowboys are cursed with the Jones'......... NOTHING will change.

They sell possibility and hope and are billionaires for it. Us fools bankroll their success.......

Staubacher

Reaction score
I really think that is part of this. He hitched his wagon to Garrett a long time ago. He even tolerated his coup with Phillips. There is a lot of emotional capital here and he has nothing on his mind other than to see this out until the bitter end.

He wants his Garrett fairy tale to come true.
Absolutely explains his pathetic tearful presser the other day.
Garrett was going to be his "Tom Landry", the coach Jerrah would ride to a return of sustained Cowboys glory.
He knows now the last decade was an exercise in futility, but he will hold on to that very last shred of hope.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Wrong. It’s been proven time and time again, including with Garrett himself when he took over for Wade, that a coaching change lights a spark.

I would promote Richard. Yeah, the defense hasn’t met expectations but as head coach for 4 games I think he’d light a fire.
It has not been "proven time and time again" Where is your data on that?

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I was all for firing him and promoting Richard on an interim basis but I have changed my mind after hearing Broadus and even RJ Choppy say that you don’t want to have to make a decision based on a coach going 4-0 vs mediocre or bad teams. Don’t muddy the waters, let him finish his contract, and get lost. Then start the search with a clean slate. If they would have fired him after the Jets game and gave Richard 10 games, Might have made more sense then. Not at this point.
Amen. My exact thoughts!

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
It has not been "proven time and time again" Where is your data on that?

OK. Start with the most recent ones.

1. When Hue Jackson started 2-5-1 with the Browns, Greg Williams came in as interim coach and finished 5-3.

2. This year Bill Callahan took over for Jay Gruden in Washington. He’s 2-4 with a god awful team; but Gruden was 0-5.

3. Let’s not forget Garrett himself - he finished the 2010 season 5-3 after the team had a 1-7 start under Wade Phillips.

4. Leslie Frazier took over the Vikings that same year - they were 0-10, they finished 3-3.

It usually works. Not always of course - but in this case you know that sticking with Garrett is a lost cause. So what is there to lose?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Number 1: I am 100% in favor of Garrett getting fired.

Number 2: Jerry has an obligation to the paying customers to try to put the best product on the field in the remaining 4 games of the 2019.

Number 3: Jerry has an obligation to his employees (the players) to give them the best chance to win games.

Number 4: Despite how bad things have been, the Cowboys are still in first place, and still can make the playoffs.

Firing Garrett in mid-season would not give the players or fans the best chance to win the next 4 games. At the minimum, Jerry needs to wait for the 10 day break, which means waiting until after the Bears game next week. And however bad morale is now, it would be worse if Garrett was fired now.

At this point, Jerry insisting that the Super Bowl is still the goal keeps the players focused on the immediate task before them. To the players, Jerry's continued faith in their talent keeps morale up. To fire Garrett now would be a signal that he is giving up on this year, and giving up on the team.

So, even though I think Jerry is now committed to firing Garrett, it is wise to wait until the Cowboys either miss the playoffs, or lose in the playoffs before pulling the trigger on putting the Garrett era behind us. (But that doesn't mean he cannot start looking for a new coach now. I'm in favor of getting an assistant coach from a championship team, who has been trained in how to coach champions.)
2.no he doesnt lol he only cares about himself and what he thinks or wants
3. he should, but same as #2
4. that is meaningless, same thing was said before NE game and Buffalo game also the control destiny thing, which if
they cant win the games they control nothing.
5. it would give players the best chance of winning next 4 games, because if you keep JG it will be more of the same
that you saw in last 2 games !! If that is what jerry wants then sure keep him to end of season. and if they get in playoffs
JG will not get team past div round, so what is the point?
6.it would not signal that he is giving up, it would signal that he isnt going to tolerate losing games they should win,
and that coaches and players will be gone if they cant get it done, or at least do better.

the buffalo game is exactly what you get with JG as HC, better to go with interim now and just tell them to do whatever they want just win the game, pass run go for 4th downs whatever, just win or bye bye.

The one flaw is who would jerry make interim coach? marinelli? lol that would not help. and if he tells them to run or pass
more in games or who to play etc, then that hurts too.
By that what if he made richards interim, and then told him to pass more and let dak win the games, what would richards do?? He would probably do as he was told.
but each game is different, and they might need to go pass heavy or run heavy or balanced depending on who they play
and how the game is going.
Also if certain players are not playing good they should be benched and replaced , one example is maybe luke gifford should be playing LB not special teams, maybe pollard should get more snaps, like a whole drive, not just giving E a rest.

But regardless going with interim now would light a fire under the team and give them a better chance.
And they could be waiting for the 10 days after chicago, but what if they lose to chicago? then lose to phil? bye bye playoffs.
Since they didnt fire him yet, he will be here thru the chicago game for sure and probably the rest of the season.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
#1 - agreed, already overdue.
#2 - when has Jerry ever cared about the fans?
#3 - retaining Garrett doesn't give the Cowboys their best chance of winning. A interm HC will get a jump start on assistant coach and roster evaluation.
#4 - making the playoffs isn't the goal, winning the Super Bowl is. This team won't achieve that goal this year. Saying their are in 1st place at 6-6 is a joke.
good post, and the thing is if jerry had already made richards HC he might do good, what if he took the team to the SB and won? would he be worth keeping as HC ? lol you wont know unless jerry busts a move, which he wont.

and as far as what if he went 4-0 and won a playoff game , well that doesnt mean you have to make him HC, I would just tell
him get to SB and the job is yours, anything short of that and you will just be considered for the job.
And the thing is you / we/ jerry have no idea what richards would be like as HC, but this is good chance to actually see and test drive him, then you would know if he was HC material or not. Otherwise they know nothing, still in the dark.

kskboys

Reaction score
Wrong. The Cowboys are cursed with the Jones'......... NOTHING will change.

They sell possibility and hope and are billionaires for it. Us fools bankroll their success.......
That, of course, is possible. However, if that's your belief, why you even in this thread?!!!!