Jerry isn't dumb on draft day

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Over the years we've all seen Dallas(Jerry) make some head-scratching moves. But what fans don't give him credit for is the picks he's made that have been good for the Cowboys.

For every bust that Dallas has gotten, There's been a Austin, a Romo, a Ratliff. Just take a look as how fantastic that is. Three integral parts of the team were drafted from the 7th round to UDFA. How is that for Jerry Jones is a lousy GM?

Don't get me wrong, there's draft like recent drafts that have been utter failures. In my opinion the team and Jerry in particular need to stop trying to be cute on draft day. Pick a guy and stop trying to pile up 6th and 7th round picks. That's why Dallas has a team full of worthless depth behind the starters. Basically because the team is "DEVELOPING" projects. If you're going to pile picks by trading down in the 1st, use them picks. Don't trade again for a 4th round pick because you see a guy who you can have then. There's a 2nd round pick that you can fill a hole too.

This yr it "seems" like there's a plan. I guess we'll see come draft day. If Jerry trades down from the 9th pick. Hopefully when that pick they pick up in the trade, they use it. Build up the depth this team sorely lacks.

But we call Jerry the worst GM in the nfl lets remember one thing. If Parcells would've had his way Marcus Spears would've been the 11th pick and Ware wouldn't be in Dallas. Yes Jerry makes mistakes, But he knows football, and I'd say moreso then any person posting hate on the man in any fan forum. Seems like for every failure everybody wants to put all the blame on Jerry. But all the hits everybody wants to give all the credit to the coach. Just remember no pick or decision is made without Jerry's approval.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I don't know where to start here and with my kids all over I don't have10 hours to write but 2 years back he has 12 picks and failed on 95% of them. UDFA are a crap shoot and 2-3 guys is not "hitting." The Patriots, the Steelers, etc hit on many draft picks. The Steelers have had contributions with 2-3 draftees this past year. Your thread title is "Jerry isn't dumb on draft day",,and the reality is he is..Quincy Carter says so...BTW Parcells found Romo and many of their studs.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
HoustonFrog;3824217 said:
I don't know where to start here and with my kids all over I don't have10 hours to write but 2 years back he has 12 picks and failed on 95% of them. UDFA are a crap shoot and 2-3 guys is not "hitting." The Patriots, the Steelers, etc hit on many draft picks. The Steelers have had contributions with 2-3 draftees this past year. Your thread title is "Jerry isn't dumb on draft day",,and the reality is he is..Quincy Carter says so...BTW Parcells found Romo and many of their studs.

Typical. all the draft busts are jerrys fault. The guys who pan out are parcells success

hornitosmonster

Reaction score

:lmao:

:bang2:

funkytown

Reaction score
Miles Austin- Monmouth College

Monmouth is in New Jersey... Parcells is a Jersey guy...He reached out to a fellow Jersey Kid....

Austin was all Parcells. Thats for sure

But Bobby Carpenter was all Parcells too. His dad played for Parcells..

Drafts/ Undrafted free agents are a crap shoot. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes u dont.

johnnyd

Reaction score
LatinMind;3824204 said:
Over the years we've all seen Dallas(Jerry) make some head-scratching moves. But what fans don't give him credit for is the picks he's made that have been good for the Cowboys.

For every bust that Dallas has gotten, There's been a Austin, a Romo, a Ratliff. Just take a look as how fantastic that is. Three integral parts of the team were drafted from the 7th round to UDFA. How is that for Jerry Jones is a lousy GM?

Don't get me wrong, there's draft like recent drafts that have been utter failures. In my opinion the team and Jerry in particular need to stop trying to be cute on draft day. Pick a guy and stop trying to pile up 6th and 7th round picks. That's why Dallas has a team full of worthless depth behind the starters. Basically because the team is "DEVELOPING" projects. If you're going to pile picks by trading down in the 1st, use them picks. Don't trade again for a 4th round pick because you see a guy who you can have then. There's a 2nd round pick that you can fill a hole too.

This yr it "seems" like there's a plan. I guess we'll see come draft day. If Jerry trades down from the 9th pick. Hopefully when that pick they pick up in the trade, they use it. Build up the depth this team sorely lacks.

But we call Jerry the worst GM in the nfl lets remember one thing. If Parcells would've had his way Marcus Spears would've been the 11th pick and Ware wouldn't be in Dallas. Yes Jerry makes mistakes, But he knows football, and I'd say moreso then any person posting hate on the man in any fan forum. Seems like for every failure everybody wants to put all the blame on Jerry. But all the hits everybody wants to give all the credit to the coach. Just remember no pick or decision is made without Jerry's approval.

Bingo! seriousley your just not going to hit on every pick . He tries to hard . i do disagree with your title thread because i think there is a correlation between being cute and making a "dumb" move but overall i see your point and agree with most of what you are saying .

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
LatinMind;3824219 said:
Typical. all the draft busts are jerrys fault. The guys who pan out are parcells success

To his own demise Jerry should have done something in the Draft about the O and D Lines forever.

ChopBlock

Benched
Reaction score
LatinMind;3824204 said:

LOL LOL LOL

So in your mind Jerry's a good GM because we got lucky on a couple of undrafted FA's and 7th rounder?

You know, if anyone actually thought Romo or Austin were any good they would've actually drafted them rather than let them become FA's and available to everyone. And the fact is, Romo was a Sean Payton find. He played at Payton's alma mater and they brought him in to see if he could win the #3 spot.

Jerry's drafts and trades over the years since he ran Jimmy Johnson out of Dallas have generally been average at best and in many cases down right atrocious. Facts speak for themselves.

mmillman

Reaction score
Drafts have been horrible under Jerruh. Two of the players you mentioned as an argument at Jerruhs success were free agents not drafted players. Jerruh is a terrible GM no matter how you slice it.

anava

Reaction score
Since Jerry has purchased this team it has had 2 turn arounds. Once when Jimmy was beside him, and after he left the team went to the dumps pretty quick. And then when Parcells came aboard we magically turned around again. Since Parcells left what direction have we headed?

We have no idea right now what kind of future we have with Garrett but the past says we need a true football guy to steer Jerry in the right direction. Hopefully Garrett is a true football guy and knows talent as well.

BHendri5

Reaction score

Bad draftees and good draftees, the one constant is Jerry Jones. Do not be a dummy, believe the guys when he tells you that he says that, he does not make the picks on his on.

Parcells did not want Romo, Sean Payton had to talk Romo on to the team, he basically went to Stephen and Jerry and that is how Romo got on the team. yeah media idiots try to give all the success to parcells and all the bad to Jerry

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I thought Jerry said Romo was "a miracle." Shouldn't the credit go to God?

RS12

Reaction score
Yes, the 06, 07, and 09 drafts have the Cowboys on the verge of a championship.:laugh1:

BHendri5

Reaction score
anava;3824298 said:
Since Jerry has purchased this team it has had 2 turn arounds. Once when Jimmy was beside him, and after he left the team went to the dumps pretty quick. And then when Parcells came aboard we magically turned around again. Since Parcells left what direction have we headed?

We have no idea right now what kind of future we have with Garrett but the past says we need a true football guy to steer Jerry in the right direction. Hopefully Garrett is a true football guy and knows talent as well.

you call no playoff in 4yrs under parcells, plus a 9-7 and 6-10 season a turn around. PULEEEEEEESE!!!!

parcells turned nothing around

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
mmillman;3824297 said:
Drafts have been horrible under Jerruh. Two of the players you mentioned as an argument at Jerruhs success were free agents not drafted players. Jerruh is a terrible GM no matter how you slice it.

which i mentioned, thanks

anava

Reaction score
BHendri5;3824309 said:
you call no playoff in 4yrs under parcells, plus a 9-7 and 6-10 season a turn around. PULEEEEEEESE!!!!

Are you serious?? With what Parcells inherited and what he left us with, you don't call that a turn around?

BHendri5

Reaction score
anava;3824315 said:
Are you serious?? With what Parcells inherited and what he left us with, you don't call that a turn around?

yes, I'm serious. We made it to the playoffs with the players that parcells inherited, it shows what a decent coach can do, and what was here when he left? well that was not parcells doing all by his lonesome. We had a better coaching staff and scouts than when that bumbling idiot joe pesci(campo) was HC, feeding bad info to the best GM. Parcells is a joke : :banghead:

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
BHendri5;3824309 said:

I'm amazed at the ridiculous lengths people will go to dismiss what Parcells did in Dallas.

He took the team from a three time 5-11 squad to the playoffs in his first year there. Rebuilt the roster and laid the foundation that is there now.

Once he left, Phillips was able to get a couple of good years out of the team he had built, but they eventually slipped back without that strong influence. This past year shows the impact of having a weak HC like Phillips.

BP's time was up. He'd worn out his welcome, but what he did in Dallas was an overall positive gain for the team. Honestly, you can't say that for any other coach in Cowboys history other than Landry and Jimmy.

The Realist

Reaction score
funkytown;3824251 said:
Miles Austin- Monmouth College

Monmouth is in New Jersey... Parcells is a Jersey guy...He reached out to a fellow Jersey Kid....

Austin was all Parcells. Thats for sure

But Bobby Carpenter was all Parcells too. His dad played for Parcells..

Drafts/ Undrafted free agents are a crap shoot. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes u dont.

If Austin was all Parcells why was Austin working out at Jim Garrett's house prior to his Senior year at Monmouth?

Why was Dallas one of two teams at Austin's Pro Day on JG's recommendation?

Or you could think before you speak.

http://www.standard.net/topics/sports/2009/10/31/miles-austin-follows-unusual-career-path-success-cowboys