Jerry Jones: Dak Prescott has room for improvement

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...y-jones-dak-prescott-has-room-for-improvement

“The big thing is, we all know there is room for improvement,” Jones said. “The thing that I would emphasize more than anything is that Dak has room for improvement. And not just the scheme around him, but Dak can improve. That’s a big plus, when you’ve been playing the game seven years and you, by assessment, have some room to get better in. He did this year, I expect him to do it next year and the next year.”

HotDog37

Reaction score
Translation - 8 years in. Multiple (as in nearly every year) huge mistakes at the end of the season and in critical games. A seeming total loss of accuracy and QB mindfulness when it counts. It means Jerry is telling you that Prescott will be signed to a new huge elite QB contract. Why? because he can.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...y-jones-dak-prescott-has-room-for-improvement

“The big thing is, we all know there is room for improvement,” Jones said. “The thing that I would emphasize more than anything is that Dak has room for improvement. And not just the scheme around him, but Dak can improve. That’s a big plus, when you’ve been playing the game seven years and you, by assessment, have some room to get better in. He did this year, I expect him to do it next year and the next year.”
In year 9......................wow, no words:facepalm:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Every QB has room for improvement..........not sure how many remember Romo would tell us every year that he tweaked a little part of his game as he would put it. Interestingly he would never tell us how or what, only we would see when the season starts. So this is nothing new but IMO Jerry sending a message to Dak and Todd France ........he ain't as good as he thinks he is.

Know this .......Jerry's is not just speaking Jerry. He is speaking for McCarthy and everyone else in the organization.

Sidenote.......complete speculation on my part but IMO something happened with Dak and his teammates the week of preparation before the Packers game. Maybe he didn't prepare as hard as some thought he should but again I don't know but what I do know is HE WAS NOT PREPARED to play the Green Bay game from the go, as in the first play. He and the offense were out of sync from play one, they had no clue. It was obvious they took the Packer light and/or spent the week reading their clippings. Of course, then D wasn't much better but this is about Dak his "improvement".

This is the comment from CeeDee's mom (after the Packer game)......clearly questioning Dak's work ethic and CeeDee was so ticked off after the first series In the Packer game, that McCarthy had to calm him down. We can call her crazy, drama queen or whatever but she has an ear directly inside that locker room ( her son, other teammates, their wives/girlfriends or parents )

"They need to get rid of his a**!" Ramirez wrote before accusing Prescott of not wanting a ring, saying that other Cowboys players work hard for a ring and that her son "deserves better."

Bottom line ........when you compartmentalize his last game, Jerry's comment, attacks from teammates' relatives, and his upcoming extension, it makes you wonder if, behind closed doors, he is losing the locker room a bit.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Year 8 is when the real improvement happens. Dak still has those rookie things he has to work out. :thumbup:
So what 'improvement', is he talking? The last three years have followed a similar path, good/excellent regular season form, especially with a lead (or against inferior opposition) only to blow it when it came to play-offs where the onus is on him to get the offense working against a deficit.

His issue's psychological .......how do we get Dak to: overcome anxiety, stay calm under pressure and not go Deer-headlights mode.

HotDog37

Reaction score
So what 'improvement', is he talking? The last three years have followed a similar path, good/excellent regular season form, especially with a lead (or against inferior opposition) only to blow it when it came to play-offs where the onus is on him to get the offense working against a deficit.

His issue's psychological .......how do we get Dak to: overcome anxiety, stay calm under pressure and not go Deer-headlights mode.
If I am Jerry and I want to go for Broke. I do 2 things.

1. Bring in Bill Belichick and Vrabel as DC on a 3 year deal. Get BB now while he is a mere 72 (don't wait). Bill is pissed right now and wants to prove something to everyone. Let him.​
2. As BB I would implore Jones to draft a few QB's - let the QB camp begin and if Prescott wins so be it.​
As for how you get rid of MM just make it appear as a mutual understanding - with a closed door payoff. But that's only if you truly want to change the culture and win a few Superbowls. Not sure if Jerry is ready for that.​

cowboyed

Reaction score
I don't know if this is true or speculation but it has been reported that he gets anxious and struggles with defensive reads early in games. Besides Dak not being flawless there is concern also with the offense line, run defense and weak linebacker corps. Dak is not just a bus driver but he also is not a maglev train either.

cowboyed

Reaction score
If I am Jerry and I want to go for Broke. I do 2 things.

1. Bring in Bill Belichick and Vrabel as DC on a 3 year deal. Get BB now while he is a mere 72 (don't wait). Bill is pissed right now and wants to prove something to everyone. Let him.​
2. As BB I would implore Jones to draft a few QB's - let the QB camp begin and if Prescott wins so be it.​
As for how you get rid of MM just make it appear as a mutual understanding - with a closed door payoff. But that's only if you truly want to change the culture and win a few Superbowls. Not sure if Jerry is ready for that.​
With a few old timer exceptions, football savvy middle aged head coaches are the way to go. Not sure BB is pissed right now. We fans are short on telepathic skills. I think the overall talent on this team including coaches is a bit overrated, continues not to be post-season caliber. The head coach and others stating in effect that the Packers competitiveness surprised them was pathetic. Either that or they are verbally shielding their players or the Cowboys pedestrian executive management. It seems we strive to keep moving one step forward, 2 steps backwards and moderately repair and just chug the team along overestimating player capabilities and durability.

Last edited:

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
This comment by Jones is all about money. It is contract talk time with Prescott and his agent. Jerry is trying to work the angles for $$$ leverage. Other years when no talks were underway he would not make critical comments on Dak. It would be all praise. ALWAYS remember Jerry Jones is not a good talent evaluator of players or coaches. Therefore he is a poor GM.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Every QB has room for improvement..........not sure how many remember Romo would tell us every year that he tweaked a little part of his game as he would put it. Interestingly he would never tell us how or what, only we would see when the season starts. So this is nothing new but IMO Jerry sending a message to Dak and Todd France ........he ain't as good as he thinks he is.

Know this .......Jerry's is not just speaking Jerry. He is speaking for McCarthy and everyone else in the organization.

Sidenote.......complete speculation on my part but IMO something happened with Dak and his teammates the week of preparation before the Packers game. Maybe he didn't prepare as hard as some thought he should but again I don't know but what I do know is HE WAS NOT PREPARED to play the Green Bay game from the go, as in the first play. He and the offense were out of sync from play one, they had no clue. It was obvious they took the Packer light and/or spent the week reading their clippings. Of course, then D wasn't much better but this is about Dak his "improvement".

This is the comment from CeeDee's mom (after the Packer game)......clearly questioning Dak's work ethic and CeeDee was so ticked off after the first series In the Packer game, that McCarthy had to calm him down. We can call her crazy, drama queen or whatever but she has an ear directly inside that locker room ( her son, other teammates, their wives/girlfriends or parents )

"They need to get rid of his a**!" Ramirez wrote before accusing Prescott of not wanting a ring, saying that other Cowboys players work hard for a ring and that her son "deserves better."

Bottom line ........when you compartmentalize his last game, Jerry's comment, attacks from teammates' relatives, and his upcoming extension, it makes you wonder if, behind closed doors, he is losing the locker room a bit.
Now you’re just making up stuff.

Dak has more than enough issues you can discuss. His work ethic isn’t one of them.

He isn’t clutch, he freezes in big moments, his footwork goes out the window when he isn’t doing well and his panics, he’s just not very good, but his work ethic has never been in question. Using someone not in the facility and who is angry as your reasoning is kinda disingenuous on your part.

Imagine if we took Dez Bryant’s mom’s side when he apparently assaulted her? Only to come to find out he hit her with his baseball cap because he was tired of feeding her crack habit?

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Has there been a single player in that locker room that has come forward to defend Dak through all of this? Any of his linemen? WRs? TE? Lost the locker room a bit? Nobody on the team is defending this clown because they are done with him.

visionary

Reaction score

Give him 60 million

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
What a clown. Technically, everyone has room for improvement because no one is perfect. Maholmes has room for improvement. But his room is much smaller than Dak’s (as has been proven by Maholmes’ accomplishments). Just because you have room for improvement doesn’t mean you will. People simply have a cap on potential due to mental and physical limitations. Some 5’ 6” fat, beer-bellied, white dude has room for improvement at playing basketball. It doesn’t mean he’s going to turn into Michael Jordan. Or even Spud Webb.

Last edited:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You drunken hillbilly fool please go ahead and extend him so I can finally wash my hands of you and the circus called the Dallas Cowboys!!!!
9 years in and you're looking for what...........Improvement?
LOL.......................It should be a crime having Cowboy fans subjected to such ineptness from the F/O to the QB position!